Why I Like the Watches I Like - Bit of an epic post

Thread: Why I Like the Watches I Like - Bit of an epic post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why I Like the Watches I Like - Bit of an epic post

I’ve loved watches for a long time. I didn’t know anything about them way back when. I just bought what I could afford (before I lost it mentally and became a complete WIS), what I liked, what I needed (usually digital because of the timers), and what was pretty tough. I suppose this started in the late 70s. I don’t remember ever wearing a watch in high school.

I went through loads of Timex Ironman watches, then when I started wearing suits to work I bought some very thin, elegant white dialled Seiko quartz. I don’t have a clue what model it was, but it went well with a suit. In fact, even after all the luxury watches, I might look for that Seiko again today if I needed a dress watch.

I’ll say my venture into WIS’dom came when I bought a Tag 1500 in ’94 or ’95. I still didn’t know anything about watches. I knew what Rolex was, and I also knew I couldn’t afford one. I’d never heard of Tag Heuer, but I saw it and liked it so I bought it. I still have it. It survived various sell offs because I knew I couldn’t get much for it and may as well keep it.

Now, I dislike the grey dial because I find it difficult to read sometimes. The lume is horrid and now I very much dislike Mercedes hands. This one may be up for a re-dial and new hands someday. I’ve had it this long so it’s a keeper.

What I do like, very much is the case size. These watches came out before someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided that dive watches had to be 44mm+ by 18mm bloody thick. Why? Divers did just fine before with relatively small watches that didn’t weigh a friggin ton.

I guess this brings me to the point of this post. After all these years of collecting (or better said, buying watches), I’ve learned what I like and what I don’t like. I think this applies to traditional analog as well as digital watches.

I like classic shapes of medium to small size. I don’t like unnecessary bulk. I like easy to read dials without a lot of superfluous writing, graphics or dials and other gizmos on them. With the exception of pure dress watches, I prefer watches with at least 100m wr (although I’ll make exceptions to that), and more importantly I like watches that are tough enough for me to wear ‘em and forget ‘em. Again with the exception of dress watches, if I can’t put it on nylon to REALLY use, I probably don’t want it.

Despite not liking Mercedes hands, some of my favourites have had them. I liked these and would have them again any day.

This is my idea of a dress watch. I liked this so much I used to have a hard time taking it off when the suit came off.

I liked these a lot too

Liked this Breitling, but liked the black dialled version I had first better. I also liked it better after I had it bead blasted. I don’t like shiny bling very much.

Loved these two. Wish I had kept the IWC longer. I was starting to get into larger watches at the time. I ended up with two Speedmasters, but for some reason got tired of them and sold ‘em.

This was a nice watch, but I prefer the Rolex

I didn’t get along with this Breitling B1. I went out to buy the Aerospace, but came home with this. That was a mistake. Go with your gut.

This is a really nice chrono. I bought it for the wife, hence the bronze dial which she liked. I preferred the black.

I really got into Panerai for awhile. Then as fast as I got into them, I got out. It was the too big and bulky thing. Would like to have kept the 111 to wear when I felt like some heft.

This Radiomir was rather pretty, though

I do like Precista watches. The PRS-14 is a nice one, but for some reason I we didn’t bond. I did like the PRS-18Q. I won it in a pass around over on TZ UK.

This Sinn 142 is without a doubt the most readable and real world useable mechanical chrono I’ve owned. Wasn’t crazy about the case shape. I sold it because it needed some work that I couldn’t afford.

This Sinn fit my criteria, but we just didn’t bond

I love the simplicity of the little ‘ol CWC G10.

This was my grail watch, but in the end it was too shiny, too expensive, rubbish as a real world chrono, and I was just afraid to mess it up.

Which brings me to the digitals. Same principles. Simple, easy to read, and not a lot of useless crap on the dial. Ones like this.

and even this

I still have watches that don’t fit my preferences at all, like the Citizen I’m wearing today. I still have ‘em because I couldn’t sell ‘em, at least not without giving them away.

Yeah, it’s been an epic post, but maybe it gives some insight into what I like and why. I didn't list a LOT of watches, including all the Seamasters which I did like, but not as much as the Rolex Subs. Diving drove my interest in watches after buying the Tag, and I suppose that accounts for a lot of my supposed taste in watches.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Last edited by BruceS; January 23rd, 2011 at 18:54.
    Wear what you like.

Re: Why I Like the Watches I Like - Bit of an epic post

Excellent, Bruce. As you know, there's a lot of overlap between your taste and mine - to the point that one of the above watches later became mine. I actually felt a little guilty selling it - 'when will he notice from my signature that it's gone?' My reason for selling it? The thick second hand. Sometimes, at a glance, I mistook it for a minute hand.

That Omega was gorgeous though, wasn't it? I really like that one.

I've gone up a few blind alleys, but the general drift in my taste is not dissimilar to yours. I'm hoping my collection will end up with a few hardy perennials, plus a little bit of frivolous and seasonal colour around the edges. And the time for that starts now, really, because I'll be retired before the year is out and won't be able to act on impulse in quite the same way.

That Tag, by the way, could look great with a new dial and hands. I don't generally like Tags, but the case is rather nice and the watch could be transformed in a number of directions.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Excellent, Bruce. As you know, there's a lot of overlap between your taste and mine - to the point that one of the above watches later became mine. I actually felt a little guilty selling it - 'when will he notice from my signature that it's gone?' My reason for selling it? The thick second hand. Sometimes, at a glance, I mistook it for a minute hand.

That Omega was gorgeous though, wasn't it? I really like that one.

I've gone up a few blind alleys, but the general drift in my taste is not dissimilar to yours. I'm hoping my collection will end up with a few hardy perennials, plus a little bit of frivolous and seasonal colour around the edges. And the time for that starts now, really, because I'll be retired before the year is out and won't be able to act on impulse in quite the same way.

That Tag, by the way, could look great with a new dial and hands. I don't generally like Tags, but the case is rather nice and the watch could be transformed in a number of directions.
    I completely agree about that hand on the Stowa. Used to fool me all the time. Same thing with the Rolex Explorer II, oddly enough. It was the GMT hand. Usually it was when I was driving to work in the morning and wasn't completely with it anyway. :)

That Tag has some real possibilities someday, when I can afford to have it done. Black, sterile dial - militaryish like the MKIIs maybe. Not sure which hands yet. It'll be fun!

I've no idea where my "collection" is going. Right now, I can't afford much at all. When I get some spare dosh, I'll just watch the SC over on the other place. I do kinda fancy Eddie's version of the CWC G10. Would rather have that Smiths military though. Just a bit expensive for me right now. For Gs, I would like another screwback or two. I'm finding that it makes a lot of difference. Not much else is turning me on right now. I would love to have the Rollies back, but at current prices I can't imagine it. I had my shot and now, watches are just becoming watches. I've learned that there are plenty of low cost options that meet my criteria. It doesn't have to have a upscale label on it to make me want it anymore.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great post and photos Bruce. I for one cant put into words how my wants and desires change. Usually only to go full circle. That said I love my G Shock but always prefer round cases, usually analog.

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

Great post Bruce, always interesting to see how one's watch collection evolve.
    Thanks for a fun read.
    MKII Kingston

Thanks guys. Mine go full circle too Jesterca. I got into Rolex before Panerai, and when I sold the PAMs I re-bought several Rolex. It took a lot of buying and just trying stuff out to really learn what I like, which was pretty stupid in retrospect. I often wonder, had I just bit the bullet and bought the Rolex Sub I wanted instead of that Tag, whether I would've ever bought another watch. I suspect I would've, but not nearly as many.

Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

Thank you so much for sharing this Bruce!!

What a lovely presentation and it's so very interesting to read about your (and others) watch collecting experience.
    I would love to have more of this in the forum.
    I like to read about watches, but I like even more to read about peoples thoughts and feelings about different watches.. hope this makes sense?!

What a lovely post.
    I have to read it all again!

Cheers
    Peter

msa

Truly epic! Thanks for sharing, certainly got me thinking.
    --msa
    Breitling Chronomat 44 GMT
    Breitling Chrono-matic Rose Gold(127/ 250)

Breitling Transocean Chronograph (1321/2000)
    Breitling Avenger Seawolf Chrono Blacksteel (1399/2000)
    Breitling Aerospace
    Breitling Chrono Colt II

Breitling Seawolf Avenger Titanium
    Breitling Galactic 44

Doxa Sub 300T Reissue (437/1000)
    Doxa Sub 750T Caribbean ( 99/ 250)
    Doxa Sub 750T Professional (502/5000)
    Jorg Gray 6500 "Obama Watch", with Secret Service logo
    Polar RS200SD
    Timex WS4
    Seiko 5 Automatic on canvas strap (blue)
    GShocks: PRG-270-4, MTG-910-DA 1V, Riseman, G-7900MS-3CR, G056, G-7710

Thanks for sharing your story Bruce.

I had bought and sold several G-Shocks before finding the right kind of Gs for me.

Nice photos, I like nearly all of those watches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information