Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Poll: Casio I'd hip and cool while Timex is becoming dated.

Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Okay, first off full disclaimer I'm partial to both but the the only reason I have ANY reason in ANY watches is thanks to Casio. You could even label me a Casio enthusiast and you wouldn't be off by much.

Furthermore, I've owned several of both brands and I do follow relevant news stories to an extent w/ both companies.

Anyhow, looking at Casio. This is a company that's known for its cheap digital watches, that are durable. Plus a few others, the Casio Forester being a common favorite of the regular populace. Timex is known in a similar vein (Expedition, Weekender, etc.).

Yet, after that..... Casio has a genuine following. Its competitive under its own name under multiple price points. Its constantly innovating and leading the industry in some manner (at the moment bluetooth). Timex is still selling the products of yesteryear and it's current day versions of the Marlin incorporate Chinese movements. Timex feels cheap, if not in person than from afar. Looking at their products, their built as cheaply as possibly. You get the sense Ceteris Paribus is a common saying around Timex HQ. Timex has lost massive amounts of market share in the United States. Profit margins are subpar compared with yester year.

Meanwhile, Casio is putting out new Original products, then offering new strap combos (unlike Timex and their infinite strap game).

After that rambling, Casio products feel solid in its entirety across their lowest offerings. Timex has a loud tick, batteries that die quickly, chrono functions that feel cheap, the list goes on.

Timex is Sears (or perhaps JC Penny) and Casio is like Target.

Casio is hip and cool. Timex could up its game.

These are my random ramblings late at night as I fend off sleep but tell me I don't have a point
    Last edited by Spirit of the Watch; October 19th, 2018 at 07:30.
    Davidka likes this.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Re: Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Timex is improving, but have a long way to go in the robustness department to catch up to Casio.

Timex has Indiglo
    Casio has Tough Solar, as Timex gave up on solar watches years ago (I have old Timex solars)

As a Huge Casio fan, don’t count Timex out. They occupy different markets.

Gorgeous knurled cases

My favorite Waterbury

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 19th, 2018 at 07:35.
    Rocket1991, WES51, zabat and 4 others like this.

Re: Why I respect a cheap Casio & feel Timex is a mishap away from becoming the Sears of wrist wear.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Timex is improving, but have a long way to go in the robustness department to catch up to Casio.

Timex has Indiglo
    Casio has Tough Solar, as Timex gave up on solar watches years ago (I have old Timex solars)
    I'll admit relating Timex to Sears is a tad too much. But the comparison with Casio isn't a complete loss. Casio simply innovates, has an R and D department..... Casio cares.

Timex is meh. Sears was meh after Lampert bought them. Sears is now becoming a memory.

Timex has its place but if it wants to up its game and fight to retain market share it could learn FROM Casio. Just my opinion.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting that Timex has new models of Shock watches out now with loud alarms and Indiglo.....But No Solar, No Atomic and still have those crap bands that crack and break from Sun Rot after a few years.

I have several older Solar Timex (not made anymore) that have the crap bands too. Funny to make a Solar watch with bands that cannot handle UV longterm. The lugs are proprietary and will not fit any normal band, so once the original breaks, SOL.

Davidka and zabat like this.

Also Timex is releasing new automatics, a take on their old watches from the 1960s.

Casio has never done a non-quartz.

And Timex knows how to have fun

Well, it is what it is.

Would the IronMan mark be the Lands End, Die Hard, or Craftsman of the Timex brand. Does it have value sans Timex?

Uh, just to be clear @YankeeExpress I see value in Timex, I just feel Casio is better run and Timex is poorly run. Casio continuesto build it's base. Timex struggles to maintain market share and realistically should consider fashion brand styling.

As with Sears most of us want Timex to succeed.

And Indiglo is terrific

Spirit of the Watch and zabat like this.

Casio are better watches than Timex, no doubt, but they are in different markets.

Kudos to Timex for venturing back into mechanicals, Casio never has.

zabat and Bobo383 like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information