• 2 Post By fwupow
  • 1 Post By liwang22
  • 5 Post By teamgshock
  • 3 Post By fwupow
  • 1 Post By Godan
  • 2 Post By GSHOCKFAN69

Thread: Why I still own a G-Shock and why I always will

Why I still own a G-Shock and why I always will

I've only recently gotten (back) into watches as a hobby and I'm currently growing the watch fund to purchase 3-5 nice automatics later this year or next year.

However, I'm a G-Shock fan for one simple reason (other than that they're indestructible, need basically zero maintenance and look darn cool as well); It was the watch I was wearing when my son was born.

My trusty GW-300 was on my wrist. It was the 26th hour of labor for my wife nearly 8 years ago and the C-section was underway. At the end, the doctor pulled out my son, and I hit the Time Memo on the watch. 10:44:27 pm, of course exactly synced to the atomic clock.

Yes, a little nerdy, but I wanted to capture the exact time he was born. I wish I knew the time I was born, but I don't - not even the HOUR of the day it was. My son knows it to the second. I think that's cool, but maybe I'm the only one!

I've had the GW-300 since December of 2003 so it's been a while. It doesn't sync anymore (I've read it probably just needs a new battery which I will get to eventually) and it has a few scratches but other than that it is in pretty good shape despite years of daily use before it was retired to weekend/backyard duty a few years ago.

If I could keep only one watch, in the end, I'd keep this one. I'd like to add another G-Shock to my small collection but there are so many models I like so it's hard to choose.

Any thread is worthless without pics so here it is (pic taken after I started this post).

How about you? What makes the G-Shock special for you?

-Jacob
    Last edited by jkpa; March 2nd, 2014 at 01:37. Reason: typo
    Sengyoku, JATO757, etejut and 11 others like this.

Re: Why I still own a G-Shock and why I always will

Nice story.

Of course you can never let that 'G' go. It seems to have served you well over the years by the looks of it.

Mitch
    jkpa and Deepsea_dweller like this.

Best use of the Time Memo feature that I've ever heard of. Up until now I had been wondering when to use it. Now I know. My daughter preceded the GW-300 by a few years, though [still have two...both work fine, although one required a replacement CTL1616]. But I'll be armed for grandchildren :)

Marking the seasons of one's life is absolutely the highest and best use of a watch. You have figured that out early in life. You are a man of wisdom, discernment, and good taste.

Best

Quote Originally Posted by jkpa View Post
    I've only recently gotten (back) into watches as a hobby and I'm currently growing the watch fund to purchase 3-5 nice automatics later this year or next year.

However, I'm a G-Shock fan for one simple reason (other than that they're indestructible, need basically zero maintenance and look darn cool as well); It was the watch I was wearing when my son was born.

My trusty GW-300 was on my wrist. It was the 26th hour of labor for my wife nearly 8 years ago and the C-section was underway. At the end, the doctor pulled out my son, and I hit the Time Memo on the watch. 10:44:27 pm, of course exactly synced to the atomic clock.

Yes, a little nerdy, but I wanted to capture the exact time he was born. I wish I knew the time I was born, but I don't - not even the HOUR of the day it was. My son knows it to the second. I think that's cool, but maybe I'm the only one!

I've had the GW-300 since December of 2003 so it's been a while. It doesn't sync anymore (I've read it probably just needs a new battery which I will get to eventually) and it has a few scratches but other than that it is in pretty good shape despite years of daily use before it was retired to weekend/backyard duty a few years ago.

If I could keep only one watch, in the end, I'd keep this one. I'd like to add another G-Shock to my small collection but there are so many models I like so it's hard to choose.

Any thread is worthless without pics so here it is (pic taken after I started this post).

How about you? What makes the G-Shock special for you?

-Jacob
    jkpa likes this.
    /Forrest

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a nice story. I've owned G's since 1989 (always 5600 variants) and just love them (reason enough to always own them).
    jkpa likes this.

Enjoyed your story jkpa. I bought a used GW-300 a couple of years ago. CASIO did a lot of stuff right with those. I don't care for the way the buttons are recessed and the look of it so much, but as a practical no-fuss, instantly readable in any conditions, time keeping device, it kicks the arse off everything else out there. HUGE HONKING DIGITS! Can't go wrong with that.

What's cool is that you can still get replacement bezels and straps off Ebay and along with a new CTL-1616 battery & gasket and some polishing, you can have back to almost new again. Chances are good to pick up another one. I'm not sure but it may be possible to buy a new GW-M500 and swap an old GW-300 module into it. CASIO interchanged the modules among the GW-300/500 & MTG-900 quite freely back in the day.
    Deepsea_dweller and jkpa like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

Great story. My now wife bought me a G-Shock when we went to college together. It was a nice gesture on her student budget. Now many, many years later I still always have one in my collection. A GW-5000 is on its way from Japan to be my ultimate G.
    jkpa likes this.

This one (DW6900-1V) is special to me. When I saw the advertisement of Casio Gshock in the magazine, I told to myself that I want a Gshock. It looks very tough and reliable, so I told to my father to buy one for me. He bought DW6900-1V and up to now, I still love this watch, it was with me since September 1997. There's a problem with the lcd now, I'm also waiting for my ordered replacement band and bezel.

Name:  dw6900.JPG
Views: 378
Size:  140.6 KB
    Reloko, jkpa, Sedi and 2 others like this.

I love to read stories from long time owners. You made a good choice considering that the 6900s have been a very strong seller all these years since.

So you told your Dad to go get you one huh? Like; "Alright pops! Listen up! You're gonna cut the grass and then you're gonna clean out the garage and then you're gonna go buy me this G-Shock wristwatch and you're not gonna gimme any lip about it unless you wanna lose your allowance!" :D
    Iyonk, alexs12 and jkpa like this.
    I almost never wear any watch other than a G-Shock. My collection is listed here-->http://watchshock.com/collection/1471/

Other watches: Invicta Sub-Aqua Venom 5733 & Coalition Forces 0225, Suunto Vector, Traser Mil-G Type 6 P6600 Celebration Edition, Luminox 3059.SAR and a few cheap Timex & Armitron

The large digits, current time in stopwatch mode and relatively uncluttered face make my GW-300 the perfect watch for pre-dawn runs. The time memo feature is useful when I want to keep two overlapping elapsed time records. The possibility of swapping the module into a GW-M500 is worth pursuing.
    jkpa likes this.

What a cool story. G's are not only special to me...but a part of me. It allows me to have senses beyond the five I was born with. Looking down to see exact time, or even better... being able to look into the future via my baro readings is beyond cool to me. I wear them at the office, on my farm, at church, you name it. Some say don't wear them with a suit....hogwash! My all black reverse display Riseman G9200BW looks great on the rare times I have to wear a black suit!

Without a G-Shock.......I would feel like Darth Vader without his helmet on.
    Last edited by GSHOCKFAN69; March 2nd, 2014 at 15:21.
    nigelw and jkpa like this.
    Casio G, Not just a watch, but a way of life.

Thread Information