Why I'm selling off all my G-shock "Grails"...

Thread: Why I'm selling off all my G-shock "Grails"...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why I'm selling off all my G-shock "Grails"...

Over the past year, I've spent a fair amount of time picking up what I considered my two "grail" G-shocks:

To me, the Real Black series epitomized the sexiest G-Shock models out there...and possibly the rarest. It took a while, but I was able to track down both the watches I wanted, and I was happy.

And then I saw this...and everything changed:

The Kobold SMG-1...PVD-coated titanium, ETA 2836 swiss automatic movement, GMT hand, rotating dive bezel, fixed screw bars, and only 50 ever made.

Some of you have sent me PMs wondering why I'm selling off the prized G-shocks that I spent so much time and effort acquiring.

In order to cover the cost for this, I've been politely "asked" by my "loving" wife to sell off enough to match the price

And so, with that, I bid farewell to the world of G-Shocks. Its been fun, and I know I'll most likely be drawn back at sometime in the future (that new Riseman looks amazing)...but for now, I'm going to be a one-watch guy

Oh, and for more (and much nicer) pics of this watch, check out the "Unofficial" Kobold Gallery: http://web.mac.com/mediaplays/Un-Off..._Tactical.html
    IWC Porsche Design Bund, Ref. 3529
    JLC Memvox Tribute to Deep Sea
    Rolex Daytona SS
    Rolex Milgauss LV
    Kobold SMG-1 Tactical
    Longines Legend Diver
    MKII LRRP Milsub
    Accutron Spaceview II SS

Re: Why I'm selling off all my G-shock "Grails"...

you are a brave man for trying to be a one-watch guy, i admire that. i know i can't do it. so good luck to you

SMG-1 tactical is one sexy watch. i would so want to own one if not for my 6.5" girly wrist (if i remember correctly, the lug to lug (top to bottom) size is somewhere around 54mm) and the high price (that's a whole can of worm that i rather don't open up)

wear it in good health. and see you soon when the GW9200 Riseman comes out (which is not far away )

I like that... a lot!
    "The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Admirable... nothing but admirable...

However , long term I wonder how will you like it. You know, after that initial honeymoon period is over...

For me being mostly a G guy going back to autos always fails... G teaches us about "wear it and forget it" but autos need constant baby sitting. As much as I like autos ultimately they're not practical timepieces.

Perhaps your experience will be different. If yes, than I truly wish you a best of luck wearing that beauty.
    Last edited by duke4c; June 14th, 2008 at 02:19.
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

i hope ur funded enough to get ur GRAIL. it's a sexy beast
    Rolex 116600 LN || Seiko SBDC033 || G-Shock GW9400-1 & G7800B1
    Omega SMP Quartz
    (on missus wrist)

Mith, that is a great looking watch I see you are also selling your MRG besides your other 2 grails. How does the PVD coating on that Kobold compare to the DLC treatment on the MRG's ??

No alarm, day or cdt. Wouldn't cut it for me no matter how nice it looks. Each to his own. Best wishes.
    -Nate
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    The Kobold SMG-1...PVD-coated titanium, ETA 2836 swiss automatic movement, GMT hand, rotating dive bezel, fixed screw bars, and only 50 ever made.
    Wow. such a beautiful watch... Congrats!

It definitely is a large watch...and looks even bigger than it actually is due to the huge crystal and very-thin bezel:

As far as the PVD goes...well, after costing me so much $$$...I've been extra careful with it on. I'm sure I'll start bumping it into stuff soon, but for now I haven't had a chance to test out the coating.

The DLC on my MRG was hands-down the best coating I've ever seen. I smacked that watch into pavement, gravel, and coral on more ocassions than I can remember...and not a scratch! I'm going to miss that MRG as well
    IWC Porsche Design Bund, Ref. 3529
    JLC Memvox Tribute to Deep Sea
    Rolex Daytona SS
    Rolex Milgauss LV
    Kobold SMG-1 Tactical
    Longines Legend Diver
    MKII LRRP Milsub
    Accutron Spaceview II SS

Definitely sexy!!!!

Love the left-hand crown. I always have problems with crowns and crown guards digging into my right-hand wrist.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information