Why isn't Casio getting involved in makiing a G Shock 'smart watch'?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why isn't Casio getting involved in makiing a G Shock 'smart watch'?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why isn't Casio getting involved in makiing a G Shock 'smart watch'?

I'm a massive fan of G Shocks, and have been for 30 odd years, but there's no denying that their design is somewhat from the stone age!

Why can't they aspire to something like this?

Omate TrueSmart: Water-resistant standalone Smartwatch 2.0 by Omate — Kickstarter
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Re: Why isn't Casio getting involved in makiing a G Shock 'smart watch'?

I love their stone age design It would be cool if they offered a g-shock designed like that, more modern style. But they should and have to keep the 80's look in their watches.
    Milos and capt_RENGT like this.

Casio knows G-Shocks own the "tough watches" category. In afew years once the "wearable tech" dust settles I'm sure they will make something thats great and works well. Most of the tech watches out today are a passing fad and will not be on anyone's wrist more than 6 months.

G's last and provide value for over many years.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

600mAh and "100 hours standby" means you'll be charging this thing constantly...
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

LUW

All I just wanted was a tough as nails watch, that tells me the time and has some very few other features. That's the customer that Casio was aiming for for the last 20 or 30 years. Nowadays, since they want to go upscale and high-end, who knows, maybe they'll come up with a wrist computer.
    I'll personally be glad if they stick with what they're good at and don't try to reinvent the wheel.
    capt_RENGT likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

I don't want a standalone smart watch. Something like the GB6900 is closer to my needs:
    GB6900AA-1 - G-Shock, Mens, Tough, Water Resistant, Analog, Digital, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.

That omate looks cool, I'll admit. But will I be wearing it 5 years from its release? Probably not. Many of Casio's watches have the durability and simple functionality that give them lasting appeal. These smart watches, should they ever catch on, will render even "new" models obsolete as they try to outdo their competitors with multiple reiterations to accommodate new technology. Reminds me of my old mp3 watch, which now sits in a drawer. Cool tech at the time, but outdated as the years or even months pass by.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; August 22nd, 2013 at 16:25.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

lvt

The construction of the contact buttons makes me worry, with such big pushers you could accidentally damage the PCB (the larger a button is, the higher force it will create when pressed).

Name:  smartwatch.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  116.9 KB
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I'd love to see something smarter than the current Bluetooth offerings. But there is a real use case question here. If it interfaces with your smartphone, its lifetime is limited to your smartphone (unless the functionality is pretty limited). There are a lot of things my phone can do that I DONT want my watch to do (like read my email). But I'd love to see some real thought go into what technology might enable on the wrist without being a huge power drain. It looks to me like Casio is at least exploring this with the Bluetooth watches. Can't wait to see what comes next.
    Current: Certina DS First Chronograph, Squale 20 Atmos Classic, Casio Edifice EF527, G-Shock GW-6900-1, Rado, Invicta, Maurice LaCroix
    Past: Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100 241618, Seiko SBDC001, SKX779, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, G-Shock GA-1000FC, AWG-101, Citizen BM8475-26e, Oris TT1 Divers Date, TAG Heuer Pilot

NO, smart watches don't make me look smart, but make me look "technology-dependency" isolating myself from the surrounding world

i don't even like the BlueTooth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information