Why the lack of solar/atomic Baby-G models?

Thread: Why the lack of solar/atomic Baby-G models?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why the lack of solar/atomic Baby-G models?

My wife really likes the whole solar atomic thing, probably due in no small part to my constant comments about how much I enjoy those features, so I decided to look for one for her but they are few and far between.

She doesn't care for the digital style and it seems that only one style of analog Baby-G is solar atomic and even those seem to be discontinued? Anyone know if these options are just that unpopular with women or is it a size thing or what?

Re: Why the lack of solar/atomic Baby-G models?

Quote Originally Posted by rocka View Post
    My wife really likes the whole solar atomic thing, probably due in no small part to my constant comments about how much I enjoy those features, so I decided to look for one for her but they are few and far between.

She doesn't care for the digital style and it seems that only one style of analog Baby-G is solar atomic and even those seem to be discontinued? Anyone know if these options are just that unpopular with women or is it a size thing or what?
    First of all, I think trying to figure women out is a pointless activity. Casio, a multi national corporation with thousands of employees globally, tried and failed so I doubt we'll have more success. That being said, I don't mind offering my opinion with an anecdote from this morning...

My wife was getting ready to head out for jury duty. She got dressed, earrings, shoes etc were finally decided on, then more as an afterthought, she reached for her watch. "It's stopped!" she announced to me (I guess cause I'm a watch guy I should be able to start it with mere thought rays...). I told her that's bound to happen when you only wear it once every five years!. One battery, one wearing, seems kinda pointless but it goes to show you how much she really cares about that watch.

My first thought is that it could be a technical issue, i.e. squeezing the atomic/solar components into a smaller case, but Casio probably has that figured out. Maybe their market research or sales numbers indicate that women aren't as willing as men to shell out extra for gadgety features.
    Simon

WTB - More wrists

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

that was a technical limitation, as mentioned in page 7 of the 2010 annual report, Annual Report - Library - Investor Relations - CASIO
    also, they are expanding the lines for women's timepieces.

I think I'm quite easy to figure out. I suspect it is just a size issue. Woman are known to be willing to spend money on stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kmpn View Post
    that was a technical limitation, as mentioned in page 7 of the 2010 annual report, Annual Report - Library - Investor Relations - CASIO
    Wow, great find there!!! Thank you very much for that!

I guess I'll just wait a while and see what they come out with based on that information. It looks like there are already some watches in the Sheen line that have solar atomic functionality.

Way to go kmpn. Sure enough, the report boasts of a tiny chrono-like module with radio-sync capability to debut first as a 'Sheen' brand model. Neat! (oh, don't get me wrong: I find the introductory watch hideous, but kudos Casio for developing the new movement).

That being said, I don't think mere technical limitations tell the whole story.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Quote Originally Posted by rocka View Post

Check out Oceanus Womens line.

OCEANUS [OCW10DA-4AV]

OCEANUS [OCW10LA-4AV]

Models OCW10DA-4AV; and OCW10LA-4AV

Banned

The BG1000 model I bought for my GF has multiband 5 and solar and is analog with a small digital display. It's about the size of a Rolex Datejust (37mm or so). Great watch. She loves it and wears it a lot.

She really likes the fact that it's zero maintenance. The only problem is that, like a lot of women, she can't stand stuff laying around (wonder why they overdecorate their homes then) and puts it in a box when she doesn't wear it. So it's a good thing they have a good power reserve and if you buy one for your woman, make sure you got the thing fully charged so it won't go empty when she doesn't wear it.

Till

But that remark doesn't really apply to the Baby-G line. They've produced solar atomic ana-digi Baby-Gs in the g-ms line within the familiar form factor. My wife is quite saddened that they don't make more pure digital solar atomics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information