Why no GPS or HRM G-Shocks??
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why no GPS or HRM G-Shocks??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why no GPS or HRM G-Shocks??

Pretty basic question.. I sell G's for a living and get frequent requests for a GPS (no, not g-shock perfect search you little F17 addicts) or heart rate monitor g-shock. We push the g-shocks real hard in our stores.. but if they want GPS or HRM we have to put them in a Suunto, Polar or Timex. Anyone know why Casio has shyed away from this market? Or any future plans, Casio? *hint hint* your insight is welcomed! Cheers guys

Re: Why no GPS or HRM G-Shocks??

I know as a competitive runner that a GPS enabled G-Shock would really be a treat. I currently use a Garmin watch for tracking distances, pace and timing. I've never had much use for HRM but I'm sure there is a market for it.

I have a feeling that a GPS G-Shock on a comparable level to the Garmin/Timex pacers would be a success as the durability would be top notch! They already have that sporty rugged look to them that greatly appeals to the active type!

Hi !!! I just did a google search and came across this !!! Sure its not a G but Casio did have something around the GPS lines in the past and if they want they still can manufacture a GPS enabled G...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LUW

So far (until the Rangeman), a GPS wouldn't "fit" in a G because Casio already had the ProTrek line. To the point that they did release a ProTrek with GPS (this one that Ash is showing). Maybe in the future, if the Rangeman does well in sales, Casio could think about a GPS G.

In the HRM department there were a few Gs that could count your HR if you put your finger to the watch, but we never had one with wireless transmission. If Casio ever does one I'm sure it would be in the Phys line, and I doubt we could ever see a G with that feature. Not that it wouldn't be appreciated, but it would be directed to a very different market then the "regular" G.
    Ash1979 likes this.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Ash1979 View Post
    Hi !!! I just did a google search and came across this !!! Sure its not a G but Casio did have something around the GPS lines in the past and if they want they still can manufacture a GPS enabled G...
    Just yesterday, someone came to the forum looking for advice on how to set up what appears to be that same watch -- theirs is a PRT 2GP: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/cas...gs-904031.html

From the owner's manual ( http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw2240.pdf ) it's pretty apparent that the GPS function uses a lot of battery power -- until now, I had never seen a wristwatch that requires a special "cradle charger" that runs off either an AC adapter or 6 AAA batteries.

Perhaps ProTrek owners don't mind charging up their electronics on a regular basis, but G Shocks are supposed to be quasi-indestructible and low-maintenance.

they really should have a line that can have both GPS and HRM abilities and call it the "Toughman" series

I never understood this either, if they had one I would use it for running, until then the nike gps watch is awesome, and the new thinner tomtom watch is enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fer Guzman View Post
    I never understood this either, if they had one I would use it for running, until then the nike gps watch is awesome, and the new thinner tomtom watch is enticing.
    I would certainly take a hard look at a GPS and/ or HRM G- Shock for running. Until then, I am pretty happy with my Garmin Forerunners.

The pro trek GPS models are well over ten years old now.

Though GPS is a much more discreet tech now, having it in a G package may still prove prohibitive.

lvt

The old Pathfinder GPS looks like a dinosaur compared to today's GPS watch, the power management wasn't good enough at the time so you have to bring a charger with you.

With the small CTL-1616 being the standard battery for the current solar G-shock, it's impossible to have the GPS, the battery might have been dead even before you could find your GPS position, the GPS chip has a very powerful built-in micro-processor and it drains a huge amout of power from the battery. Things have been improved in both hardware and software sides to reduce battery usage so wen can have a normal, discret GPS watch without protruding parts like in the past, and battery can last an entire day in normal usage.
    Ball - Casio / G-shock - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Seiko - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information