WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Why should I buy GW-5000?

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  perfectlykevin 
#1 ·
I am deciding whether I should buy the legend, GW-5000, or not.

I know that this is superior and a flag-ship G. It has screw down case back with DLC treatment. But for the price of over $350; could you give me some reasons to get this piece.

I have the 5600E, 5600J and had S5600.

I know that I lost my appreciation on a watch really fast. I am trying to find a good reason to get it, please.

#2 ·

I know that this is superior and a flag-ship G. It has screw down case back with DLC treatment. But for the price of over $350; could you give me some reasons to get this piece.

I know that I lost my appreciation on a watch really fast. I am trying to find a good reason to get it, please.
Because you like it would be the best reason of all. :-!

#4 ·
I think the main reason to spend so much on what is a very generic type of model, would be if you're a genuine collector.

I never get this idea that the screw back justifies the bloated price put on these. You can buy screw back Casios for less than $50, and spend $1000+ on plate backs...means nothing. The pricing has a lot more to do with manipulating supply and creating a false sense that because it's a (artificially) limited edition, it must be worth more. :roll:

DLC is an overrated feature imho, especially in a resin armoured G and the premium price you pay for just that feature. It seems like a contradiction to have DLC on a resin G and more for bragging rights. Makes more sense to have a sapphire crystal.

Sounds like you're trying really hard to justify spending so much on a collector model that perhaps doesn't excite you that much.

#7 ·
I agree with most of these comments. DLC is ridiculous on a Frogman or a 5600 or any other resin G-Shock. DLC makes more sense on MR-G models and Oceanus models.

I would rather see increased usage of sapphire crystals and titanium on G-Shocks instead of increased usage of DLC. Sapphire crystals would be particularly useful on 5600 models.

However, I do think screwbacks are worthwhile on resin G-Shocks because platebacks involve inserting metal screws into plastic. That seems like planned obsolescence, and planned obsolescence is contrary to the supposed philosophy of G-Shocks.

#5 ·
You don't have to, if you don't want to spend that money on it. The ones that, like me, decided to go for it, did it for a number of reasons: comfortability, uniqueness, classic lines, durability... There seems to be a very high level of satisfaction with this model. It certainly feels superior to other Gs.

Here is my review:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f105/gw-5000-gw-m5600-451896.html

;-)

#9 ·
I own one and I'm not sure that you need one. The s5600 is basically the same watch but different case and caseback. Don't get me wrong the GW-5000 is my favorite G and my go to watch most everyday but if I already owned a S5600 ,I don't think I'd consider one.

Now, to sing the vitues of the 5000... :) I do like the DLC and screwdown caseback, very similar to the 5600C I own and also love. Solar/atomic features are great and I like being able to use the EL anytime, knowing it's not running down a 2 year battery or some such. Classic look and great feature set, but as you said the price is high, esp considering the strong Yen right now.

Kev

#12 ·
I personally bought a rising white dw-5025 ,which is screwback but non solar, and then switched the white bezel and band to black ones. But it was in 2008 though. Not sure it's still for sale. The spike lee model is probably still found.
I've decided not to buy a gw-5000. Too expensive imho.

#13 ·
Thanks for your comments, guys.

One thing I notice that GW-5000 is superior than other 5600 is the metal case. It makes life expectancy of 5000 longer than those 5600.

Do you think that the metal case will outlast the plastic case in typical 5600?

#14 ·
Thanks for your comments, guys.

One thing I notice that GW-5000 is superior than other 5600 is the metal case. It makes life expectancy of 5000 longer than those 5600.

Do you think that the metal case will outlast the plastic case in typical 5600?
I'm not sure but I got my GW 5000 anyway. It somehow feels higher quality. I like the face color and lay out better than my 5600 also. I don't know if that justifies the high price or not but I like mine.

#16 ·
You should because, like the current Frogman GWF1000 series, the GW5000 and the current GWF1000 Frogman are a special breed of Gs.

With the screwback and DLC coating on it, though at first thought it was expensive, once you get it, you won't regret it!

Its that kind of feeling which you cannot really describe it. You have to own one to know. :-x

#19 ·

If you are looking for a good reason for buying something then don't buy it - you either want/need it or you don't. Put the money in your pension pot! ;-)

Re the durability issue that has been raised in the thread.

Much is made of the screwing into plastic malarky but as Tribe says - how often do the screws get taken out; unless your a hapless tinkerer then not many I would hazard to guess.

Similarly will the expensive piece last longer? - maybe it will, maybe it won't (but I can't see why it would) but for £100 for a 5600 then if you have the thing ten years then throw it in the bin that's only £10 a year - not big beans and not worth worrying about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.