Why should I buy GW-5000?

Thread: Why should I buy GW-5000?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why should I buy GW-5000?

I am deciding whether I should buy the legend, GW-5000, or not.

I know that this is superior and a flag-ship G. It has screw down case back with DLC treatment. But for the price of over $350; could you give me some reasons to get this piece.

I have the 5600E, 5600J and had S5600.

I know that I lost my appreciation on a watch really fast. I am trying to find a good reason to get it, please.

Re: Why should I buy GW-5000?

Quote Originally Posted by sulak View Post
    I am deciding whether I should buy the legend, GW-5000, or not.

I know that this is superior and a flag-ship G. It has screw down case back with DLC treatment. But for the price of over $350; could you give me some reasons to get this piece.

I have the 5600E, 5600J and had S5600.

I know that I lost my appreciation on a watch really fast. I am trying to find a good reason to get it, please.

Because you like it would be the best reason of all.

Thanks Jake. Yes, I am certain that I like it.

But, I am wondering that its features and story make it special or the price make it special.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the main reason to spend so much on what is a very generic type of model, would be if you're a genuine collector.

I never get this idea that the screw back justifies the bloated price put on these. You can buy screw back Casios for less than $50, and spend $1000+ on plate backs...means nothing. The pricing has a lot more to do with manipulating supply and creating a false sense that because it's a (artificially) limited edition, it must be worth more.

DLC is an overrated feature imho, especially in a resin armoured G and the premium price you pay for just that feature. It seems like a contradiction to have DLC on a resin G and more for bragging rights. Makes more sense to have a sapphire crystal.

Sounds like you're trying really hard to justify spending so much on a collector model that perhaps doesn't excite you that much.

You don't have to, if you don't want to spend that money on it. The ones that, like me, decided to go for it, did it for a number of reasons: comfortability, uniqueness, classic lines, durability... There seems to be a very high level of satisfaction with this model. It certainly feels superior to other Gs.

Here is my review:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f105/gw...00-451896.html

Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

i bought it because the model is very historic and packed with a lot of technology... and because I really like it!

Off Topic post Re: Why should I buy GW-5000?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    I think the main reason to spend so much on what is a very generic type of model, would be if you're a genuine collector.

I never get this idea that the screw back justifies the bloated price put on these. You can buy screw back Casios for less than $50, and spend $1000+ on plate backs...means nothing. The pricing has a lot more to do with manipulating supply and creating a false sense that because it's a (artificially) limited edition, it must be worth more.

DLC is an overrated feature imho, especially in a resin armoured G and the premium price you pay for just that feature. It seems like a contradiction to have DLC on a resin G and more for bragging rights. Makes more sense to have a sapphire crystal.

Sounds like you're trying really hard to justify spending so much on a collector model that perhaps doesn't excite you that much.
    I agree with most of these comments. DLC is ridiculous on a Frogman or a 5600 or any other resin G-Shock. DLC makes more sense on MR-G models and Oceanus models.

I would rather see increased usage of sapphire crystals and titanium on G-Shocks instead of increased usage of DLC. Sapphire crystals would be particularly useful on 5600 models.

However, I do think screwbacks are worthwhile on resin G-Shocks because platebacks involve inserting metal screws into plastic. That seems like planned obsolescence, and planned obsolescence is contrary to the supposed philosophy of G-Shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler durden View Post
    I agree with most of these comments. DLC is ridiculous on a Frogman or a 5600 or any other resin G-Shock. DLC makes more sense on MR-G models and Oceanus models.

I would rather see increased usage of sapphire crystals and titanium on G-Shocks instead of increased usage of DLC. Sapphire crystals would be particularly useful on 5600 models.

However, I do think screwbacks are worthwhile on resin G-Shocks because platebacks involve inserting metal screws into plastic. That seems like planned obsolescence, and planned obsolescence is contrary to the supposed philosophy of G-Shocks.
    I disagree. If you were to take cost into account, I prefer the DLC, which makes the watch look better for longer and the mineral glass to take direct impact more gracefully while still being scratch resistant, as opposed to having a sapphire crystal, which is much more prone to shattering than mineral glass, and 'naked' steel, which is more prone to scratching.

I believe the philisophy of the GW-5000 is to look good for longer, and the materials used help achieving this.

I am wearing mine today and what a good vibe I get wearing this great watch.
    Stowa Marine Automatic solid silver dial Hamilton Jazzmaster Power Reserve | Jazzmaster Viewmatic Seiko 5 SNZD13J1 | 5 SNZE87J1 Parnis Power Reserve Accurist Kinetic Chronograph MB 560 Casio (G-Shock) GW50001JF | DW5200C | DW5600C | DW5600R3 | G7800B1DR | DW6600 |​ DW6630B (modded) Casio (Protrek) PRG-240B

I own one and I'm not sure that you need one. The s5600 is basically the same watch but different case and caseback. Don't get me wrong the GW-5000 is my favorite G and my go to watch most everyday but if I already owned a S5600 ,I don't think I'd consider one.

Now, to sing the vitues of the 5000... :) I do like the DLC and screwdown caseback, very similar to the 5600C I own and also love. Solar/atomic features are great and I like being able to use the EL anytime, knowing it's not running down a 2 year battery or some such. Classic look and great feature set, but as you said the price is high, esp considering the strong Yen right now.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post

I absolutely agree on everything. But I've got it anyway .

Look,I've got my GWM5600 on today,thousand times more comfy than the GW5000

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information