Why are they so large?

Thread: Why are they so large?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Confused Why are they so large?

My daughter asked me a simple question that I couldn't answer ... maybe you guys can. Why are G-Shocks so large? Is it just a styling thing, or do they need to be built like that to accomodate the modules, or to be so tough? For example, why don't/can't they build a woman's G9000 or Pathfinder that is scaled down? She's interested in getting a G that isn't cutesy, but most of the models look like they'd be wider than her wrist...

:thanks

Fred

Re: Why are they so large?

Try the "Baby G-Shocks" specifically made for women: http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/Baby-G/

Mainly because the bulky bezel provides shock protection. Partly because the display couldn't be much smaller and still carry the same information. Partly because - well, just because...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Electronic on g shock is protected by thick plastic designed to direct energy of the impact AWAY from screen and electronic.

Because casio wanted to be G-shock, plastic had to direct a LOT of energy AWAY from the circuit board. When the design was originally conceved that meant a LOT of plastic and you have yourself a large watch.

These days plastic got a lot better and we know more about directing energy properly. Also the electronic these days are better needing "less" energy to be "moved away" in the case of impact.

This means that Casio was able to produce rather thin G shock.

The only problem with that is that not enough folks liked thin G shocks so they pretty much "gave up on it" .

That's my theory at least. I could be wrong...

I have skinny 6.5" wrists, so this is a concern I share when considering a new watch purchase.

However, one comment I would make is that many G-SHOCK watches look much bigger in photographs than they do in the flesh, er, resin.

I was an early customer for the GW-9000 atomic Mudman, which looked HUGE in print and online, but which was much smaller in reality and wore very comfortably.

There's the Club-G's too. They're scaled down G-Shocks for younger people. I bought these two for my younger sons. They're shock resistant, have countdown timers and are WR to 100m. They're possibly a better option than a Baby-G if she doesn't want something girly.

"The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is." C S Lewis

Thanks! I think we'll look at the club g's. the baby's are too girlie, if you're looking for a "tough" design....

Fred

How big is her wrist Fred?

Despite being 6'4", my wrist is only 6.25" which is narrow for a man and smaller than quite a few women...doesn't stop me wearing a large mans watch, although I avoid really bigguns like the full sized Pathfinders.

How about the PAG70T-7V? It fit my wrist comfortably, and would fit well on most women's wrists I suspect. Seems like Casio's unisex sized Pathfinder. The new PAW1400 might also be an option depending on its dimensions.

I agree that most of the Baby-G line are aweful. Hasn't someone at Casio worked out that women are over the daintly powder puff pinks, baby blues and lilac little girl watches?

Most women I know prefer mens watches.

G-Shock & Sales Moderator DragonJade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluegum View Post
    I agree that most of the Baby-G line are aweful. Hasn't someone at Casio worked out that women are over the daintly powder puff pinks, baby blues and lilac little girl watches?
    I actually like some of the Baby G's I've seen in the past. Some are admittedly terrible, but there are some nice ones which I would have liked to have seen bigger versions of.

Fred, have a look at these two pages from Casio's site in Japan -

http://www.e-casio.co.jp/shop/goods/...ategory=102010
    http://www.e-casio.co.jp/shop/goods/...ategory=102010

hmmm ... I'll have to measure her, but that might be a good solution. I just looked at the the club-g's, and I don't think she'd go for them. At 17, planning on engineering, she wants something more technologically advanced.

You're right. I know a lot of women involved in sports, hiking, etc who want everything that we appreciate in a watch, but made to fit a smaller person. Maybe i can start my own line of "Fred-Shocks"

Fred

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information