Why Try A GW-5500 Series?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why Try A GW-5500 Series?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why Try A GW-5500 Series?

I've been wanting a "Square" G for a while now but the 5000/5600 series are smaller than I like.

I see the 5500 series are bigger. Plus from what I've been reading they are built to take a beating and the elements (the buttons especially).

I am liking the GW-5500-1JF the most, but the camo models are growing on me by the minute too!

I see that those who have them really like them.

What do you like about your 5500?

Pics are greatly appreciated!

:thanks

Re: Why Try A GW-5500 Series?

I hated the 5500 until I bought one. They look 100 times better on the wrist than they do off it.

I wouldn't say the module is amazing but it has a good few features including world time. The countdown timer is a yaht timer so that's a bit of a let-down and the time isn't displayed through the modes but it's an excellent watch nonetheless.

So in short, the reason I kept my Dawn Black one for the collection is I just love the way it looks when I wear it.

I just dont wear my 2 5600 series G's I do like my GW5525 Dawn Black. Very crisp display and just looks good to me . Like you said larger and very important to me more crystal protection I tend to bang into my doorknobs from time to time

Citizen AT4004
    Spork SRP034K1
    Stealth GA-100 1A1
    Black Knight Quartz
    Orange Monster
    SKX175 Pepsi
    Riseman Rising Dragon, Pathfinder PRG80, Oceanus, G1000H

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by W44NE G View Post
    I hated the 5500 until I bought one. They look 100 times better on the wrist than they do off it.
    My feelings exactly, they've got a lot wrist presence and the looks really grow on you. If you can still find one of those super-cheap US deals it's well worth giving one a go, you can easily sell it if it's not for you.

I initially picked up the Dawn Black 5525A thinking I would sell it but later added some of the other models including this all-stealth JDM GW-5500-1A

Here's all 4 together...regretfully I just sold the GW-5500-1 to another 5500 fan but when funds allow I think I'll get another.
    mitadoc likes this.

I have 4 of each and love the 5500's better!! The size is awesome because I like them big, but then I wear the 5600's they feel like the Mini! Check out this thread......

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ight=love+5500

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Pro:

- stealth version is very stealthy
    - flat on the wrist, will fit under sleeves
    - huge in diameter, doesnt look small on my 6,5" wrist

con:
    - buttons are somewhat hard to press due to the mud resist design (same applies to all mudmen)

I also own a G-5500 in the classic 80s look with red buttons and positive LCD. That one is looking very nerdy.

mitadoc likes this.

Just to add another 'pro' from a collector's point of view - the 5500 is a classic that changed very little from its inception in '85, as a first known G-Shock Mudman model. It wasn't very popular model back then, and was discontinued soon after, and resurrected in '06 as a G-5500 model.

It also features a special and specific strap design that hasn't changed from its early days.

There's really nothing like the DW/G/GW-5500 Mudman model, and will never be IMO, and that's probably one of the reasons Casio stuck to its formula for close to 25 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by owen1939 View Post
    What do you like about your 5500?

Pics are greatly appreciated!

:thanks

Well it has far more wrist 'presence' than the 5600 if you like that sort of thing.

It is undoubtably tougher with the additional resin, covered buttons and more recessed crystal.

Notwithstanding all that though it is still thin enough to fit under shirt cuffs making it very versatile.

Lastly it is 'cool'.

Mitch
    mitadoc likes this.

What? I passed over the gw-5500 because from photos I thought it would be even smaller than a 5600!
    Maybe I should take another look at it

Chad

the gw-5500... of course it is the same atomic module at the gwm5600. so it has a very capable assortment of features. on top of that, the flat and wide design is comfortable on my wrist. the bulky bezel makes me think of boomboxes and new wave music. lately there is a trend among the 'hip' to wear calculator watches. that's ok, but i think the 5500 shape is much cooler, less 'ironic' (i.e. i think the 5500 genuinely looks good) and just as retro.

right now i have two; i used to also have a rising white but... [winking at worldtime].

in fact, thinking carefully, i think it was the all red and green (including coordinated inverse displays) a couple seasons ago that first drew me to gshock.com. they were too bold to ignore.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information