WHY IS USA PACKAGING DIFFERENT THAN JAPAN PACKAGING?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: WHY IS USA PACKAGING DIFFERENT THAN JAPAN PACKAGING?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused WHY IS USA PACKAGING DIFFERENT THAN JAPAN PACKAGING?

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anyone can shed some light...
    When you buy G-Shocks in America, they come in tins, then in a cardboard outerbox. I know the tins have changed a bit (gold for a while, now black and smaller hexagon shaped) The new packaing in Japan, is a cardboard glossy outerbox, then a faux-leather box, that opens up with the G-Shock wrapped around a white pillow.
    With the limited editions, in America they usually come in the older, larger tins, custom-designed of course, and then in an outerbox, and the Japan versions almost always come in the rectangular cardboard/paper boxes that open diagonally out of eachother.

Just wondering why this is the case.

Re: WHY IS USA PACKAGING DIFFERENT THAN JAPAN PACKAGING?

cos Americans like to waste raw materials like metals etc - everyone else is far more conscious about the environment so we get boxes made from renewable tree plantations.

LOL @ my stupid response
    iamsupersam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1981 View Post
    cos Americans like to waste raw materials like metals etc - everyone else is far more conscious about the environment so we get boxes made from renewable tree plantations.

LOL @ my stupid response

Isn't metal recyclable too?

I just think its marketing. Every country has a strong sense of nationalism, Japan is no exception. While they may view Casio as a more prestigious brand in Japan (their pricess seem to suggest this) I'm positive Americans do not.

I think the JDM packing is nicer. Leather box, leather pillow (though it may be pleather for all I know). Is leather recyclable?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yoshi1981, Renewable Tree Plantations vs. recycled paper ok if that works for you, And the Stereotype statement that Americans like to waste raw materials Im so sorry for you, that you harbor such ideas. Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1981 View Post

LOL @ my stupid response
    Last edited by $teve; July 16th, 2012 at 14:18.
    1onehandwill likes this.
    CURRENT COLLECTION
    Seiko-SBDN013,SAGZ011,SBDC005,GW-4000D-1AJF,WC-IRW-M200DTM-7JR​,Citizen-BN0000-04H,Wempe-Zeitmeister-WM60-0001,Ω2200.51.00

I don't know why they are different, but I will say Casio has some of the cheapest boxes ever... considering the quality of their watches is high and the prices they charge are high... If you bought a $900 watch from nearly any other manufacturer, you are going to get a really nice box to go with it. If you want a super nice Casio box, you need to spend thousands on an MR-G. Casio loves to talk about the environment, but they are just being cheap in this respect. When it comes to manufacturing a watch from scratch, the box is the least of their environmental worries.

I love the tins! I hope they dont change it. It really suits G-Shocks.. It makes it look tough and i love the limited ed painted ones! I dont think the japanese packaging suits G's at all! Its more of a formal watch kinda packaging which i dont like.

The worst is those cardboard boxes.. Ugh. Those i just throw away.
    Last edited by starscream; July 16th, 2012 at 16:19.
    1onehandwill likes this.

The Japanese possibly prefer an old school more traditional packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    Yoshi1981, Renewable Tree Plantations vs. recycled paper ok if that works for you, And the Stereotype statement that Americans like to waste raw materials Im so sorry for you, that you harbor such ideas. Steve
    I got the impression he was joking rather than being serious!
    Yoshi1981 likes this.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the limited edition tins, with their cool colorways and graphics, and I especially love the limied trunk cases that come with some of the LE's. I wonder what casio will be doing with their packaging for the 30th year anniversary G's.

I like the JDM packaging more than the tins for regular issues. I do have a JDM tin that's real nice though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information