Why won't anybody change G-Shock batteries?
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Why won't anybody change G-Shock batteries?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Why won't anybody change G-Shock batteries?

Hi,

I took my G-shock to the local independent shop where I usually take it to get the battery changed. But this time they said they wouldn't guarantee G-Shocks, they've had too many problems with them. I was a bit surprised, so I took it to another independent around the corner, and they said that G-Shocks had been the bane of their lives for years, so they wouldn't do them at all any more, even without guarantee. Any other type would be fine, just not G-shock.

I've never come across this before, so I went into H.Samuel to see what they had to say. Apparently, they could do any type of watch in-store, but G-shocks are "so complicated" they have to be sent away.

What's happening all of a sudden? Aren't G-shocks supposed to be the industry standard for indestructible, 200m waterproof watches?

Cheers

MattLG
    chuasam likes this.

Re: Why won't anybody change G-Shock batteries?

Sounds like laziness to me (not you, these watch places you refer to). Changing a G battery is usually elementary. Do the AC reset, maybe a little silicone for the o ring, screw the caseback on, done. Consider learning to do it yourself. Plenty of folks here can help you.
    Last edited by Fergfour; October 31st, 2017 at 00:04.

Change my own batteries, which has rarely happened as they are very efficient watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Sounds like laziness to me. Changing a G battery is usually elementary. Do the AC reset, maybe a little silicone for the o ring, screw the caseback on, done. Consider learning to do it yourself. Plenty of folks here can help you.
    And don't turn it over while the case back is off, so you don't lose one of those little coil springs (if present).

Sjors thread is of great help if you decide to start changing your batteries:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how...ock-19704.html

I do DIY, and most can be done in 15 min if you are working on it slooooooooooooooooooooowly :)
    Rocat and solar g-shocker like this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Every cloud has a silver lining! You will care for your watch much more than those pseudo jewelers, and with a little patience, and a few rudimentary tools, it's also very satisfying doing it yourself. In addition to knowing it's done properly. I've been fortunate enough to never having to leave a watch in for battery replacement, and have a sideline of doing it for family & friends too
    kubr1ck and soulbridgemedia like this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

I think these jewellers just dont know the ac reset thingy. They open the case, remove old batt, put in new batt, put case back... uh oh... watch not working... repeat process 2 more times, watch still not working... customer (who also dont know about ac reset) becomes mad coz jeweller broke his watch, jeweller scratches his head... customer leaves with non working g and posts it on ebay... then steelerswit buys em and gets a laugh
    ocddave, Mrcrooka1, WES51 and 7 others like this.

i remember once going to a place, and a battery change was 12.99. a G was 19.99 due to the complexity. google is you friend and your wallet. watch several videos and then ask here, then take a leap and get a warm fuzzy feeling after you succeed.
    WES51 and Hein W like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    For most of us, when we wear a bad-a** watch, the characteristics of the watch "bleed over" to us -- and suddenly, WE are bad-a**es!
    For some members here though -- like Steelerswit, and Kubr1ck -- they have so much inherent "bad-a**ery" that when they put on a bad-a** watch, the energy flows from them TO the watch, making the watch EVEN MORE bad-a**!!! Yes, it's a real scientific phenomenon that obscure mad scientists only recently discovered.

Doesn't sound easy to me ....
    WES51 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information