Wife's reaction to the 5600
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Wife's reaction to the 5600

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wife's reaction to the 5600

So I am looking to buy my first G. I do have an "almost G", the dw290, which I love. I've been leaning towards the dw5600e due to the simplicity (and low price). I figured, with Christmas coming up, I would have my wife buy it for me.

I showed her the watch (on Amazon). She was not impressed. She essentially said it was the ugliest, nerdiest watch she had ever seen and that I might as well buy a calculator watch (you should have seen her reaction when I said that I actually considered that as well). She said that maybe if I was a kid or teenager it would be okay to wear.

To be honest, I've kind of had those thoughts to. I'm 35 and have a fairly professional job. But, at the same time, I find myself drawn to the G. How do I get her over to my side? Is there a more classy G that is along the same lines as the 5600 that might make her feel better to see me wear?

Re: Wife's reaction to the 5600

IMHO the most classy "only digital" G-Shock is G-7800.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/g-7...nt-777126.html

Cheers, Piowa

Good luck. jc! My wife loves my Omegas, likes my Sinns and Fortis, is neutral on my orange dial Doxa, but says that my G-Shock watches are the ugliest she has ever seen. So what, I say, I still like them! BTW, we have been married 49 years. Cheers, Bill P.

rocky, jtaka1 and dgerardo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yep. That is a typical woman's reaction to the 5600. There are some different squares, many limited editions, but they tend to cost more and she probably won't like them either. I don't think you will convince her. You might need to buy it for yourself and promise not to wear it on dates.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; November 29th, 2012 at 14:53.
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

jc-orginalbdass,
    As the only item apart from a wedding ring a bloke will wear constantly, your choice of watch
    is an personal thing.

There are different ways of thinking about it. Some guys like mechanical watches, that have a miniature engine driving them.
    Some like construction from materials that will make the watch last a lifetime to pass on. Perhaps some appreciate quality materials and
    stylish finishing. Some like tool watches that focus on functionality.

Others like timing functions above all, coupled with great value. G Shocks are packed with timing features and robust enough for daily use regardless of activity.
    Great accuracy combined with extremely affordable pricing makes it a good choice for anyone who likes digitals.
    Plus, try finding a mechanical watch with an alarm for $40!

I used to wear mechanical watches and now wear a 5600 most of the time. It seemed odd at first and now it just seems
    more practical and useful (and I am not a teenager anymore!)

Really at the end of the day it comes down to what you like the most. As for the missus, perhaps you could list the benefits of choosing a G Shock.
    For example, less money spent on a watch, leaves more for a vacation or perhaps a nice anniversary dinner.

So choose the watch that you like the most, it's your arm it will be on :)

regards,
    George
    Crater and JDPNY like this.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I can see how some see the square as nerdy and I can't entirely disagree, but I have grown to love its simplicity. I certainly wouldn't call it a fashion statement, but if your using it for work as a tool, it's hard to beat IMO. I find it funny which watches my wife likes and dislikes too. She likes my TAG F1 the best out of my collection, and HATES the look of my Breitling Aerospace. She said she just finds the Tag more interesting. I don't think women see watches the way we see them. I love my squares. I wouldn't worry about what your wife thinks, or about wearing that watch in a professional setting. As cheap as the 5600 is, I would certainly pick one up and give it a try. I'm confident you will love it. I'm your age, have 3 squares and wear them in a professional environment everyday. As far as digitals go, I would say it's one of the most professional looking options available without going all metal.
    avusblue likes this.
    C

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, so we can buy [email protected]# we don't need" - Tyler Durden

"I have beaters for my beaters" -Me

interestingly my boss likes my g-shock much more than my automatics; especially after she learned that g-shocks are usually much cheaper.... hmmm... maybe she is trying to stop me from buying more expensive automatics by pretending to like my g-shocks
    Last edited by angrypossum; November 29th, 2012 at 15:50.
    BeaVis PaLigis likes this.

Women and men definitely see watches differently. For my wife, all plastic watches are the same and look "cheap" but of course I completely disagree.

In the meantime, she does not object to me buying/wearing G-Shocks, while I let her choose her handbags.
    Last edited by Watchphile; November 29th, 2012 at 15:46.
    PsychoMantis21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jc-orginalbdass View Post
    How do I get her over to my side? Is there a more classy G that is along the same lines as the 5600 that might make her feel better to see me wear?
    Just find a really really ugly and expensive watch, be really interested in it for a few days and showing it to her all the time, and she will appreciate and beg you to buy the 5600 afterwards :)

I don't intend to stereotype here but maybe she may like the G=Shocks that are white or the brightly colored ones. That is if you like them too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information