Will I find better deals in Asia?

Thread: Will I find better deals in Asia?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Will I find better deals in Asia?

I'm headed to Asia on a business trip in May. I will visit Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, and Shanghai. I will have a "free" day in both Singapore and Tokyo and have several free days in Shanghai.

Does anyone know if I will find better prices or rare models in Asia compared to the US - even with ebay, etc.?

I definitely intend to steer clear of the knockoffs - I am only interested in the real deal.

Re: Will I find better deals in Asia?

From what I have seen reported on this forum, you may well encounter higher prices than you see in America.

Members from the areas you are visiting will be able to confirm (or not), and may suggest which models you should keep an eye out for.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Banned

in singapore u need to get to bencoolen shopping center to get the best deals in gshock watches.....rather than going to G-Factory(gshock boutique)in some shopping centers...the price difference will astound you...One more place is bras basah shopping area for the art students...but there also lies some old shops selling vintage g-shocks.hope it helps

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Go to bencoolen shopping center,this place is dedicated for selling singapore's cheapest watches...also it may be the most number of G's you will ever see in a place...
    "Life is peanuts"

My experience is that in Singapore and Shanghai, definitely you will find yourself paying more (at least compared to the US online deals). Seoul, it really depends on where you go, and there may be more limited editions models available due to proximity to Tokyo. Don't forget the Korean won is relatively weak now, too.

Tokyo is obviously where you will find the most comprehensive selection, but the yen is strong now, so you might still find yourself paying a high price.

Hong Kong is a great place to get good deals, too, if you have time to drop down there.

Welcome to the forum!

Awesome! thanks for the responses. I will definitely have to check out the bencoolen shopping center in Singapore. Unfortunately I will only be in Seoul for one day full of meetings, then it's off to Tokyo.

Sounds like there's not much point in waiting to pull the trigger on a new G for the trip then. Think I'm going to grab a GW-2000-1AER to assist with all my traveling.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I used to get G-Shocks for a 50-70% discounts when I lived in the middle East, good old days. Now I get excited if I can 20% of retail here in the US.

Lightbulb Re: Will I find better deals in Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by porkbullet View Post
    I'm headed to Asia on a business trip in May. I will visit Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo, and Shanghai. I will have a "free" day in both Singapore and Tokyo and have several free days in Shanghai.

Does anyone know if I will find better prices or rare models in Asia compared to the US - even with ebay, etc.?

I definitely intend to steer clear of the knockoffs - I am only interested in the real deal.
    It depends.

For watches released worldwide, the prices usually are cheaper in the U.S. than in Japan. For example, the GWM5600BC-1 was released worldwide with three different model numbers indicating geographical region of release. Before being discontinued, it was cheaper in the U.S. than in Japan. Now it is difficult to obtain from any U.S. source, but TikTox.com gets a new batch from time to time - TikTox sells out very quickly, though.

For watches released only in Japan, the prices usually are cheaper in Japan than in the U.S. For example, it would be cheaper to buy a OCW-T100TD-7AJF while in Japan than through Seiya or some other Japan-based internet exporter.

So it depends. While in Japan, I would focus on watches only released in Japan. Good luck!
    "I bet you're a big Lee Marvin fan."

G'day mate and welcome to the forum. When you come to Tokyo make sure you check out the G-Shock Store in Odaiba. You probably won't be buying anything as the prices are all retail but it'll be worth the visit to see the whole range and feel the G vibe...

Quote Originally Posted by porkbullet View Post
    Awesome! thanks for the responses. I will definitely have to check out the bencoolen shopping center in Singapore. Unfortunately I will only be in Seoul for one day full of meetings, then it's off to Tokyo.

Sounds like there's not much point in waiting to pull the trigger on a new G for the trip then. Think I'm going to grab a GW-2000-1AER to assist with all my traveling.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    The GW2000's a nice model with the aviator hands and all. If you are serious about getting the "whole package" then I'd recommend getting it in Japan even though you might end up paying a bit more. This would ensure you get the little "treasure box" casing it comes with, and all documentation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information