"Worked a Trade for a really nice DW-6600"

Thread: "Worked a Trade for a really nice DW-6600"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Worked a Trade for a really nice DW-6600"

Worked out a really great trade with fellow WUS member K42 and got it in today, watch is like brand new, I currently have 4 and a GW on the way and have had many DW-6900's, but I have to say it is kinda nice to have the same great case and strap as the 6900 but with a different movement, I am kinda takin in by the 6600, I have never had one in the past and didn't really give it enough credit, but after wearing it all afternoon, i've really come to like it. I removed the case back when I got home to look over things and grease the seal like I always do and decided to paint the removable chapter ring type thing, it was a blackish, blueish color, and I ended up spraying it a dark fine metallic gray, to kinda match the backlight button, I think it came out really nice, I was originally gonna remove the movement and put it in one of my 6900 cases that needs one because the G on the backlight button, but opted rather to leave it be. Really like it, heres a couple quick pics.

Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: "Worked a Trade for a really nice DW-6600"

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKWATER View Post
    I am kinda takin in by the 6600, I have never had one in the past and didn't really give it enough credit, but after wearing it all afternoon, i've really come to like it.
    Those were pretty much my thoughts when recently acquiring one. It's an unpretentious device that doesn't try too hard. Simple, effective, durable.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

great mod, thanks for sharing. i "sensed" something was different the moment i saw the pictures. it's a nice but subtle change.

my eyes have certainly loitered over the dw6600 before. for as much as i am into solar / atomic, i like the dw6600 maybe because of that absence. not exactly the missing features, but the missing changes that casio insists on to implement those features.

those on screen indicators: 1) no 'rcvd', 2) no 'dst', 3) no 'ps' and no battery status, 4) and the auto el is an icon.

1) i think the 'rcvd' indicator causes a lot of grief. if you have a thermo-corrected quartz, you don't need an indicator to display +1.4 secs or -.3 hz, etc, to show the correction is happening. most people in covered areas will sync often enough that their atomic will be the most accurate watch in their collection. rcvd status is available with more detail on any atomic from the main timekeeping screen, anyhow. i say try omitting this

2) 'dst' should only utilized in world time mode, i propose. it's just not that useful for most people most of the time, and clutters the display.

3) casio is well intentioned with the power management, but the technology is proven enough that it's time to have the courage to make an aesthetic and ergonomic decision. lose the h / m / l indicators and replace it with a 'chg' icon that basically means get this watch some light in the next couple of days or it will hibernate. the 'ps' function is well thought-out and should be just on by default, still changeable in the settings screen, but not indicated on the timekeeping mode at all time. if anything, it should only be on when the watch is in ps mode.

4) there's something to be said for using icons over text. text competes with the timekeeping digits, and its necessarily small size takes concentration to read. refine the 'star burst' symbol and bring it back.

and what about the ratio of the used screen to the bezel / watch? the solar panels require physical space that has the effect of decreasing the space used for text. is there some way the solar panels could be more integrated with the module's display, if not fully underneath it? floating lcds are done on casio's duplex models- what if the text floated over the solar panels?

"It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I wasn't expecting to like it this much, I wore it again today and enjoyed every minute of it. I also like the absent features, it simply has alarm, timer and stopwatch, I really like how tribe125 put it, doesn't try too hard. Simple, effective, durable. I definately recommend it to anyone who is looking a tough, go anywhere G, in spite of the cost, it is now definately one of my new favorites.

Suspended

Breakwater...can you describe how you accessed the frame/chapter ring. I guess it comes out the back after the module. It the crystal attached to it? Any other details in getting this piece free? I like the painting idea and I would like to do it myself.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I had 30 minutes of peace and quiet here at the house, which is a rarity. I jumped in and figured it out. The frame comes out easily after the module is removed. This was my first time taking a G shock apart and I was surprised how simple it was. The whole design and construction is elegantly simple.

The hardest part after keeping the cat hair off the silicone is getting the module and/or the frame in straight. After a few minutes of futzing, mine is still a smidge off, but I figure I will be in again soon.

Looks like getting the words off the perimeter of the crystal is not so easy. Besides that seems to mask off the edge of the frame which is not finished as well as the rest of it.
    Last edited by nhoJ; September 13th, 2009 at 16:42. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by nhoJ View Post
    Breakwater...can you describe how you accessed the frame/chapter ring. I guess it comes out the back after the module. It the crystal attached to it? Any other details in getting this piece free? I like the painting idea and I would like to do it myself.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I had 30 minutes of peace and quiet here at the house, which is a rarity. I jumped in and figured it out. The frame comes out easily after the module is removed. This was my first time taking a G shock apart and I was surprised how simple it was. The whole design and construction is elegantly simple.

The hardest part after keeping the cat hair off the silicone is getting the module and/or the frame in straight. After a few minutes of futzing, mine is still a smidge off, but I figure I will be in again soon.

Looks like getting the words off the perimeter of the crystal is not so easy. Besides that seems to mask off the edge of the frame which is not finished as well as the rest of it.
    One thing I quickly figured out is to take a tiny flat head screw driver and while sliding the module back in place, I needed to press the small silver tabs that the buttons push in on, for it to align with the buttons that push in from the case, the module easily slips past the button knobs when you depress the silver tabs on the module, then the module seems to line up perfectly. Glad you got it figured out though, most every G I have disassembled and put back together seems to be very simple, which I am greatfull for. About 6 years ago, before I started collecting G's, I threw a mint condition DW-6900 away, because after I re-installed a new battery I couldn't figure out how to make it work again, so I though it was screwed up. Ahhh, the lessons we learn, usually the hard way!

Quote Originally Posted by a-Tom-ic View Post
    my eyes have certainly loitered over the dw6600 before. for as much as i am into solar / atomic, i like the dw6600 maybe because of that absence. not exactly the missing features, but the missing changes that casio insists on to implement those features.
    Well said, I agree 100%!

There is a certain attraction (for me) to simplicity. And while I do enjoy my solar / atomics, there is something particularly nice about a basic battery powered G'. The same feeling that you get when you buy one of these new, as they are so inexpensive.

That's my two cents anyway...

Cheers...

Suspended

One thing I quickly figured out is to take a tiny flat head screw driver and while sliding the module back in place, I needed to press the small silver tabs that the buttons push in on, for it to align with the buttons that push in from the case, the module easily slips past the button knobs when you depress the silver tabs on the module, then the module seems to line up perfectly. Glad you got it figured out though, most every G I have disassembled and put back together seems to be very simple, which I am greatfull for. About 6 years ago, before I started collecting G's, I threw a mint condition DW-6900 away, because after I re-installed a new battery I couldn't figure out how to make it work again, so I though it was screwed up. Ahhh, the lessons we learn, usually the hard way!

Good tip. I noticed it wasn't seating flat on one side and I thought it had something to do with the buttons but I couldn't figure out what to do about it other than hoping the case back would push it in straight.

I really like mine too. I much prefer its use of the available space over the three eyes of the 6900. The three eyes look cool, but after I got used to them, I really preferred that the space be used for more spacious display of the necessesities. The 6600's lcd characters are larger, better spaced, and much more pleasant to read. I am in favor of a-Tom-ic's suggestions. People by now know that digital technology can do all this amazing stuff, we don't need flyspeck-sized indicators on the display telling us these things. Or have them so that we can switch the indicators off.

Really like it, heres a couple quick pics.

--Greg

This was my very first G, back in 1994 or 1995. I've recently begun a modest collection and nabbed a NOS version of one of these on ebay pretty easily. Absolutely love this G for it's simplicity and display and it will always have a place in my collection. And, it is built like a freakin tank!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information