World public perception of G-Shock watches

Thread: World public perception of G-Shock watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

World public perception of G-Shock watches

Two things made me want to write this thread.

First, having become more interested in G-Shock watches in recent years, I've tried finding magazines that focused on this brand. Frankly, it's been pretty hard. I know there are japanese magazines that cater to high-end watches, and I guess only recently, similar magazines have showed up in the U.S. But the problem is, all the publications I can find only seem to cater to high-end mechanical watches and a few european-made digitals. It's almost like there is a disdain among the few magazines both here and abroad for the good ole' tough, reliable, affordable g-shock.

Second, I've read several articles in the media that in general, watch sales are declining due to increased cell phone use. With a cell phone that already gives you a constantly updated time, many people are choosing to buy watches purely as a fashion statement and end up getting expensive mechanical watches. In fact, here in Washington state, there have been several watch specialty stores that have had to close up shop because of the decline in their overall sales.

I hope that there is room in the world (as well as a healthy profit margin) for Casio to keep making unique G's. As far as I'm concerned, alot of G-Shocks are works of art even if they're not hand crafted. What's more, a g-shock can go with you to any part of the world under any type of condition. How many Breitlings or Fossils can you say that about?

Now I'm not saying I don't like analog or dual-analog watches. I like them fine and may even get a couple in the future. I just don't understand why they don't seem to get any coverage in the few watch magazines out there. Just because it's not selling straight out of the Casio factory for $500 plus doesn't mean it should be beneath notice for not being a unique watch. I think Casio is right in trying to broaden the g-shock label with the dual analog watches, I just hope it keeps making the digitals too.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a publication out there that catered to those of us who are fans of multi-functional digital watches. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Locomoco.

Moderator Emeritus

Re: World public perception of G-Shock watches

Quote Originally Posted by Locomoco
    Two things made me want to write this thread.

First, having become more interested in G-Shock watches in recent years, I've tried finding magazines that focused on this brand. Frankly, it's been pretty hard. I know there are japanese magazines that cater to high-end watches, and I guess only recently, similar magazines have showed up in the U.S. But the problem is, all the publications I can find only seem to cater to high-end mechanical watches and a few european-made digitals. It's almost like there is a disdain among the few magazines both here and abroad for the good ole' tough, reliable, affordable g-shock.

Second, I've read several articles in the media that in general, watch sales are declining due to increased cell phone use. With a cell phone that already gives you a constantly updated time, many people are choosing to buy watches purely as a fashion statement and end up getting expensive mechanical watches. In fact, here in Washington state, there have been several watch specialty stores that have had to close up shop because of the decline in their overall sales.

I hope that there is room in the world (as well as a healthy profit margin) for Casio to keep making unique G's. As far as I'm concerned, alot of G-Shocks are works of art even if they're not hand crafted. What's more, a g-shock can go with you to any part of the world under any type of condition. How many Breitlings or Fossils can you say that about?

Now I'm not saying I don't like analog or dual-analog watches. I like them fine and may even get a couple in the future. I just don't understand why they don't seem to get any coverage in the few watch magazines out there. Just because it's not selling straight out of the Casio factory for $500 plus doesn't mean it should be beneath notice for not being a unique watch. I think Casio is right in trying to broaden the g-shock label with the dual analog watches, I just hope it keeps making the digitals too.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a publication out there that catered to those of us who are fans of multi-functional digital watches. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Locomoco.

I think that it's a matter of who your market is. All the casios I've ever seen were worn by the working class stiffs. The guys who work hard on shift work. Money is tight and they need a good watch which isn't too expensive. I worked underground for close to 18 years as a gold miner. I personally wore a seiko 6309 diver for 13 of those years but replaced it when it was stolen with a g shock. Most of the guys underground wore casios. They paid 8 bucks for them and they lasted a couple of years. The g shocks lasted longer. Truckers, loggers, pretty much everyone wore an inexpensive casio or timex. Guys like us are their bread and butter and with the economy the way it is, Casio doesn't have to worry about going out of business because the provide a good reliable cheap product which performs a necessary daily function. Most of the guys mentioned above don't have a cell phone on them at work so they still carry a watch.

With the younger generation and their gadgets, well, Casio might suffer a small loss of market but overall, I don't think they have much to worry about. Everybody knows about casio watches. If they weren't good, they wouldn't be around and people wouldn't be wearing them. That's pretty good advertising and cheap advertising. I can see Casio trying to hard sell with the kids by doing the xtreme sports magazine ads (surfing, mountain biking x games, dirtbiking) and stuff but I don't see billboards and fancy magazine adds. Now, if Casio is trying to go seriously upscale like Seiko, I can see it. The new digi-ani g shocks are quite the nice timepieces and maybe a marketing team might look into an ad package for these. I basically see Casio as selling sports watches and sports minded people and athletes know Casio. No advertising needed, or very little.

The big watch magazines are mostly into autos and expensive ones at that. The watch companies who have big money watches to peddle are after the guys who have a lot of money and most of it is very expendable. With a large percentage of these people, image is very important and how do you sell your watch to these guys. You advertise and advertise and advertise making your product very desirable and exclusive. Casio is not about this. The working class is their bread and butter and the working class don't usually buy posh magazines. Seiko now has the awesome spring drive watches which go for $3000 to 5000 US and are after this market now. You should start to see some ads popping up for their SD offerings.

If you pick up the extreme sports mags, you should expect to see the extreme frogman and g-shock ads. I don't pick these up so I don't know much about the Casio mindframe in regards to this but I would put my money into this kind of advertising if I was a Casio marketing guy.

Those are my thoughts..

cheers,
    froggggahollllic Tim

I agree with Timothy that it more or less depends on what people you're talking to. In the world of watch collectors and connaisseurs there's little people interested in digital Japanese watches. In the world of hard working people (both jobwise and sportswise) you'll hear another sound.
    I was a marine for four years and lots of colleagues had G's, because they just perform under adverse conditions and are cheap to replace. Also many of people I know that are involved in extreme sports use G-shocks.
    I know Casio (and other watch manufacturers) lost many customers due to the cellphone-hype, but I also know there will always be a market for relatively cheap indestructible watches. There will always be people like us: fascinated with extremes... As long as Casio doesn't start to wimp out and just keeps on producing hardcore G's they'll be alright!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm afraid that the 'serious' watch collectors look upon the G-Shocks as a gimic, I used to, when I collected high end watches.

I still own a Panerai Pam 111, but never wear it.

I myself am a dentist and primarily wear a G-Shock to work. I own a few high end mechanicals but do not enjoy wearing them as much as I do a "G". I have even had patients ask why I wear "cheap" watches! Little do they know that a Frogman retails for more than their Esquire :-D I believe Timothy hit the nail on the head. People are too concered with image

Well here is my .02...

I wear G's for a couple of reason. First, im one of those "extreme" sports guys... Caving, Running, Cycling, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Orienteering...etc. And i value G's because, even if you have a high end G... it can still take anythign i can dish out. I posted the results of the 25 story drop test over on the PMWF (my "other" forum). And I asked how many people would Drop their Rolex 25 stories? Ok, how about their Tissot, or Omega? no? what about their Seiko? Oh... still no? LOL.. .the reality is that I have seen these things Frozen, Run over, Dropped, Boiled... etc.. all with minimal affect.

Here is the crazy thing. Im saving and selling to buy my grail watch. An Omega SMP. The more I save the harder it is. I keep thiking to myself. Man, I could buy 8-12 G's for this amount and love them! LOL... I already sold my Raysman but jsut couldnt part with my Froggie.

Another cool thing about G's is that they are a VERY "do-able" collection. Heck the other day I went out on a whim and bought a 7500. I probably over paid at 60.00 and have worn it since. I cant do that with any other brand other than Timex. Jus go out and buy one without being killed that night when the wife gets home! LOL...

The only bad thing about G's, and this is the opposite of what Tim says, is that they are hard to wear with a shirt and tie. I often have to wear business casual with a tie at work sicne i make presentations all day. Sometimes that big chunk o hockey pusk on my wrist looks a bit out of place! LOL. But I work in the transportation industry, and like Tim said.. amongst the guys out there DOING IT... I see a LOT of G's!

Lastly, and OZ can answer this one! I heard that G's are very popular amongst the "up and coming" business guys in Japan... they LOVE th modified backlights and customized G's... I read that somewhere, maybe Oz can back that up or refute it.

Remember the Omega SMP is officialy a Swatch watch.

And I have absoloutely no problem with that whatsoever! LOL... :)

i like a lot the G-shocks, i wear and collect them but it would be very difficult for me to sell banking products to someone wearing a G. In my job wearing a suit an expensive tie and polished shoes is a must.Under these circumstances i've got to wear a Swiss.According to the expense of the suit got to be the watch,so i wear a Rolex or a Seamaster in the job and when i go back home i change it to my Mudman,Raysman or Wademan.I put on my T-shirt,jeans and a pair of sport shoes and i feel free again.So the feeling my Gs giving me is freedom!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information