World Time
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: World Time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

World Time

Hi, I own a GWG1000 Maharishi, I live in The Netherlands and my World Time is set to South Korea Seoul.
    Next week I am travelling to Seoul... the question is, when I arrive I set the World Time so I know what tkme it is in Seoul. But does the watch synchronise during the night in Seoul and if yes, what does it synchronise...the time in The Netherlands or the time in South Korea?

Thx

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

Re: World Time

The watch should synchronize in Seoul to the Seoul time, since this should be set at your home time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by samael_6978 View Post
    The watch should synchronize in Seoul to the Seoul time, since this should be set at your home time.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    Are you sure? Because my home time is set as Paris and while I am in Seoul I will use my Second World Time which is set to Seoul...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The watch will only sync based on your home city. If you change your home city to Seoul, it will sync using the Japanese time signal stations.
    StephenWatch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    The watch will only sync based on your home city. If you change your home city to Seoul, it will sync using the Japanese time signal stations.
    So, if I keep my Home City to Paris the watch will sync the Paris time using the Japanese time signal stations? Is that a correct understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Zestel View Post
    So, if I keep my Home City to Paris the watch will sync the Paris time using the Japanese time signal stations? Is that a correct understanding?
    No. When you're in Korea the European time signal stations are too far away, and it will not sync at all. The time signal stations used are based on the home city.
    Deepsea_dweller and umarrajs like this.

According to this table, radio control is not even available in Seoul. Some of my G-Shocks, for example the GW-9400 and GW-9110, use the Japanese time signal stations when the home city is set to SEL, but apparently the GWG-1000 does not.

Name:  GWG-1000 (5463) time signal stations.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  72.2 KB
    Last edited by GaryK30; October 22nd, 2017 at 19:40.
    Deepsea_dweller likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zestel View Post
    Hi, I own a GWG1000 Maharishi, I live in The Netherlands and my World Time is set to South Korea Seoul.
    Next week I am travelling to Seoul... the question is, when I arrive I set the World Time so I know what tkme it is in Seoul. But does the watch synchronise during the night in Seoul and if yes, what does it synchronise...the time in The Netherlands or the time in South Korea?

Thx
    Your watch has a smart feature to tackle your problem: simply swap home time and world time in the plane or upon arrival in Korea. When in world-time mode (Netherlands/PAR time + "HT" is displayed in the digital display), press and hold the upper left button. Display will show "CITY ^v" and after a few seconds home time and world time will be swapped. Now, TYO time (identical to SEL time) will be your main time. This has two advantages: the alarms will work in Seoul and the watch will synchronize to one of the Japanese antennas. Time reception in Seoul isn't easy, though; it's best when your watch is facing east, and with not too many buildings around. I had the best/only time sync results in Seoul with nightly manual sync outside, on a balcony.

On your way home, just repeat the time swapping procedure and Netherlands/PAR time will become your main time again.

Hope that helps, have a good trip..!
    Last edited by Ralphee; October 22nd, 2017 at 20:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphee View Post
    Your watch has a smart feature to tackle your problem: simply swap home time and world time in the plane or upon arrival in Korea: in world-time mode (Netherlands/PAR time is displayed in the digital display followed by "HT"), press and hold the upper left button. Display will show "CITY ^v" ? and after a few seconds home time and world time will be swapped. Now, TYO time (identical to SEL time) will be your main time. This has two advantages: the alarms will work in Seoul and the watch will synchronize to one of the Japanese antennas. Time reception in Seoul isn't easy, though; it's best when your watch is facing east, and with not too many buildings around. I had the best/only time sync results in Seoul with nightly manual sync outside, on a balcony.

On your way home, just repeat the time swapping procedure and Netherlands/PAR time will become your main time again.

Good info. I didn't realize that TYO and SEL are in the same time zone. Casio ana-digis have fewer home cities available due to the way they are implemented on a ring around the dial, but they still cover all the same time zones. My GW-9400 and GW-9110 are digital, so they have more home cities available, one of which being SEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphee View Post
    Your watch has a smart feature to tackle your problem: ...

Thx...now I fully understand how it works...thank you everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information