World Time Zones

Thread: World Time Zones

World Time Zones

Just wondering if Casio could somehow declutter its World Time analogue watches by reducing the number of cities/time zones on the bezel. Time zones in half hours and even three-quarters could be done away with, except India, which is a huge land mass anyway. With two time zones in the oceans not needed, 22 (plus UTC) seems like a manageable number, instead of the usual 29.

Wonder what's so important about Tehran +3.5, Kabul +4.5, Kathmandu +5.75, Yangon (Rangoon) +6.5? Maybe US/NATO troops using Mudmen in Kabul and hikers wearing Protreks in Kathmandu need those odd zones??

Also, I noted that two cities viz, Athens +2 and Jeddah +3 are less significant and less populous than Cairo and Moscow respectively. The latter two deserve a spot on the bezel.

Any thoughts any one?
    Last edited by Kaiser T; July 20th, 2010 at 17:08.

Re: World Time Zones

For me specifically, I like have a lot of timezones. I work in a occupation where I must deal with folks from various global timezones and being able to instantly reference the local time quickly, is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
    For me specifically, I like have a lot of timezones. I work in a occupation where I must deal with folks from various global timezones and being able to instantly reference the local time quickly, is important to me.
    I was discussing the problem on ANALOGUE watches which have a bezel with limited space for displaying the time zone cities. A digital watch, on the other hand, can have a listing of perhaps a hundred cities, the number being limited only by the memory and processing capability of the little microprocessor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser T View Post
    Maybe US/NATO troops using Mudmen in Kabul and hikers wearing Protreks in Kathmandu need those odd zones??
    Not forgetting the people who live there, of course...
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Banned

You'd want 24 time zones on an analog bezel just because there are 24 hours in a day and it matches the dial. Why leave any spots open? On the other hand, I don't know of analog watches that do half hour and 3/4 hour zones like you mention. Those are usually only featured in digital watches and then it doesn't matter as you say yourself. In some Citizens you can suppress cities you don't use and even create a particular time zone of your liking. That's very cool, I think.

Moreover, you'd have to think of not only the people who live in a city but everyone who lives in the time zone. The importance of Tehran, the Iran and the entire area is not to be underestimated. Same for Athens/Istanbul.

Finally, there are cultural matters attached to time zones. Just throwing some of those out because an insular US American thinks they aren't significant except for US service men there seems to be ... American. ;) Especially if you consider that most of these watches are produced in Japan, China and Europe and not in the US.

Russia alone has just narrowed down their time zones from 11 to 8 or something. What would these people say if some zones were just dropped of the bezel because it looked less cluttered?

Till

Quote Originally Posted by tfar View Post
    You'd want 24 time zones on an analog bezel just because there are 24 hours in a day and it matches the dial. Why leave any spots open?
    24 time zones is an old convention in world time watches. More zones would be welcome if there was enough space on the bezel. That is why some country-specific half hour and 3/4 hour zones should be done away with in an analogue watch and have a more readable dial.

On the other hand, I don't know of analog watches that do half hour and 3/4 hour zones like you mention.
    The following G-Shock watches are pure analogue with a 29 time zone bezel including five having half hour and 3/4 hour zones: MT-G 1100 series, GIEZ GS1100 & 1300 series, Aviation/Cockpit GW3000 series; also the Pathfinder PAW5000 and ProTrek PRG500.

Moreover, you'd have to think of not only the people who live in a city but everyone who lives in the time zone. The importance of Tehran, the Iran and the entire area is not to be underestimated. Same for Athens/Istanbul.
    No one else besides Iran lives in the +3.5 time zone as it is a country-specific zone. As for Athens and Jeddah, my point was that within the same time zones of +2 & +3, Cairo and Moscow have a better claim, being much more populous than Athens & Jeddah. As we all know, almost every time zone has major cities, but when it comes to choosing just one, population size is an important consideration.

Finally, there are cultural matters attached to time zones. Just throwing some of those out because an insular US American thinks they aren't significant except for US service men there seems to be ... American. ;)
    I am not an American, though I concur that Americans are insular.

Russia alone has just narrowed down their time zones from 11 to 8 or something. What would these people say if some zones were just dropped of the bezel because it looked less cluttered?
    To start with, Casio watches do not have any Russian time zone represented. I already canvassed for Moscow.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Kaiser T; July 21st, 2010 at 05:38.

^^^
    SORRY KaiserT, But CASIO does indeed have MOSCOW represented in their time zone menus.

Quote Originally Posted by reed420 View Post
    ^^^
    SORRY KaiserT, But CASIO does indeed have MOSCOW represented in their time zone menus.
    Not true. We are talking of Casio analogue watches which have 29 time zones. None of the watches mentioned in my previous post have Moscow (MOW) etched on their bezels. (By the way, these are the latest models by Casio.)

Check the world time bezel in the following picture:

In the past I criticised Casio for not having Newfoundland or Kathmandu time zones on some watches, and hailed it for adding them in the newest models :)

I wouldn't agree with "doing away with" any time zone as you wouldn't like it should it be your own time zone or if you needed to keep track of what time it is there. And dividing the world into "important" and "unimportant" parts just doesn't seem right.

But maybe I should abstain here as I don't wear analogue watches at all, only digitals ;)

Oh and Jeddah thing.... I didn't get it at the beginning, but now I think I know why:

From the "what time it is" point of view Moscow and Jeddah are the same. It's just the matter of getting used to what the time zone is called, just a name and nothing more.

(Okay, the difference actually is that in Moscow they do and in Jeddah they don't introduce the DST, but it doesn't matter as the DST settings must be set up independently from the time zone setting anyway.)

But this is Protrek we are talking about, and I think there are some default tidal data coming with the city code: and while Jeddah is at the sea, they don't have any tide in Moscow, so this might be the reason?

And as for "integer differential" time zones, at least one of them is missing, as RIO = UTC-3, RAI = UTC-1 but there is nothing representing UTC-2 in between.

(Oh how cool, with this one my number of posts is a cube of an integer :)))
    Last edited by madman01; July 22nd, 2010 at 02:01.

Thread Information