WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you eBay bid on used Gs with dead displays?

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  babola 
#1 ·
What says you?

Could be a great deal...then again could be fake junk.

Seems the display is the easiest way to spot a fake.

What if the model is not one of the most likely to be faked?

#2 ·
If it's not a common fake like the DW-6900 and it's a watch you REALLY want then it may be worth the risk. As always, feedback is something to consider (not always reliable as a lot of fake sellers have good feedback) and look at what they've sold in the past\recently.

Otherwise, post a thread on here in the "Wanted to Buy" forum and perhaps you'll find someone selling the real thing.

#3 ·
These litsings are from just regular individuals...not dealers or anything professional by any stretch of the imagination. Most likely the watch was sitting in the drawer and they just are cleaning house.

I think if you can get it for $5-10 USD, it might be worth it. Drop in a $3 battery and you're good to go.

But then again, do I really need any more watches?

#5 ·
What says you?

Last thing I need is having a "fake" take up precious room in my collection.;-)

Real watches with bad displays? Those make great "parts" watches assuming the bezel and or strap are in reasonable shape. Any suspicions of a fake would kill the deal since I refuse to support that market no matter how cheap.

#6 · (Edited)
Interesting question as I bid on a dead G yesterday. I was, until this morning, the high bidder.

I'm trying to decide if its worth it to bid more.

As you say, could be a great deal if all that is needed is a battery and not a typically faked model.

The included photo is poor and I wonder if we are looking at the same watch b-)

What says you?

#15 ·
I absolutely do bid on watches with blank displays, since as you said, there's a 99% chance it's just a simple battery change or even just a good charge as in the case of Tough Solars. In fact, I find those are the best bargains since people tend to shy away!

#19 ·
NO, i wouldn't bid on a watch with blank display.:-(

#16 ·
The best deal I have gotten so far was on the auction site. It was a 2300-9V that came from an "estate sale". The seller had a dark, blurry photo and described it as a "G-Shock" that would "work sometimes and sometimes not". I took a lot of time looking at the pic to try and guess the model, and ended up being right.

Anyway, I won it with a bid of $1.75ish I think. Shipping was 5 dollars. With that I got a G-2300-9V in almost new condition and a 3/4 charge. The thing is the original owner, or one of the estate buyers, put it in sleep and demo mode. So it only came on when exposed to strong light, then went back to sleep.

Sometimes you take your chances and do well.

#17 ·
I guess it all adds up to the fun if you're not too sure what you're going to get!

As long as the price is right then its surely worth a bid ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.