WS-220 not charging

Thread: WS-220 not charging

WS-220 not charging

A while back I bought new WS-220-2. It arrived on Medium charge. Thought nothing about it for a few days while it was sitting in the sun. After 10-12 days in the Southeast sun, nothing was happening. I took it apart two or three times to do an AC reset. Performed the tests to check the solar panel was working, it would show the 8888. Went through the other screen test and even "tilt" although there is no auto EL on this model. So I assume the solar connections are good. When I took the watch module out, everything looks new.

After AC reset it would go back to medium. So today I took the bad battery out of the blue WS-220 and put it in my other WS-220. The charge read medium. It's on the back deck now and at full already. I know it is not fully charged but it should be by tomorrow weather permitting.

So the battery appears to be a god one by showing me it went to full. Which leaves the solar connection. The two gold colored springs do not appear to be damaged or misaligned. Could it be a faulty connection inside the module? Or something else?

To recap:
    AC Resets did not fix the charging inability
    The solar connections appear to be fine
    The watch functions as it should but the CTL-1616 is not getting recharged in the faulty WS-220
    The watch is out of the return to seller window and it was cheap to begin with.
    I personally want to solve this issue, I take it as a challenge
    I could take the good module out and put it in the bad case. But that actually solves nothing.

Any other suggestions that I have not thought of?

Thanks guys,
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

Re: WS-220 not charging

I had this problem that I tracked down to a bad contact where one of the connection springs met the solar panel. The spot where one of the springs makes contact to the solar panel looked discolored. I scratched it with a small screwdriver until it was shiny and it worked after that.

I don't know exactly what your problem is but that was mine.
    “Time is an illusion.” ― Albert Einstein

Thanks TixTox,
    I read your post on your issue and tried scratching the contacts, the two little round spots for the springs. Maybe I should scratch them more.

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    I had this problem that I tracked down to a bad contact where one of the connection springs met the solar panel. The spot where one of the springs makes contact to the solar panel looked discolored. I scratched it with a small screwdriver until it was shiny and it worked after that.

I don't know exactly what your problem is but that was mine.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You know how easy contacts with batteries can screw up. Many times I had had to just open up the battery compartment on many devices and roll the batteries a little to gain contact so the device works again. I think it's the same sort of thing.

I had to do that today. I recently put new AA batteries in an atomic wall clock in my shop that I use to set my clocks and watches. It was blank so I took it down to change the AA's. But I thought they shouldn't be dead yet and checked them with a battery tester and they were fine. Put them back in, gave them a roll and the clock was working. The contacts looked clean but obviously they weren't making contact.

After swapping batteries yesterday, two things were confirmed. The lcd screen functions as it should in the "bad" module since the meter went to high and all features work. Second, the battery from the bad module is good since it has charged in the good watch. It has to come down to the connectors. But the test screen shows the solar function works with the 8888.
    I do not want to keep opening up the case back for fear of stripping the threads. But I guess I could do it again and jiggle, wiggle, and twist the connecting springs to see if maybe they just are not touching the solar panel. But they must be since the solar test showed it working.
    I guess this has now officially become my project watch. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TixTox View Post
    You know how easy contacts with batteries can screw up. Many times I had had to just open up the battery compartment on many devices and roll the batteries a little to gain contact so the device works again. I think it's the same sort of thing.

I had to do that today. I recently put new AA batteries in an atomic wall clock in my shop that I use to set my clocks and watches. It was blank so I took it down to change the AA's. But I thought they shouldn't be dead yet and checked them with a battery tester and they were fine. Put them back in, gave them a roll and the clock was working. The contacts looked clean but obviously they weren't making contact.

You have a confusing one there. It sounds like you just need to keep trying and most likely you will get it working and still wonder what it was.

No need to tighten up the back screws until you are done messing with it. Just don't forget.

You guys are lucky, I've been trying to kill mine for years by hitting it on concrete while swimming but it still works like a champ! What's your secret?
    When scarcley sixteen years of age he left his father's home, And through Australia's sunny shores a bushranger did roam. He'd rob the largest squatters, their stock he would destroy, a terror to Australia was the wild Colonial Boy.

Thread Information