WVA-430U battery shows high but dies
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: WVA-430U battery shows high but dies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused WVA-430U battery shows high but dies

Hi peeps, long time since I had to ask something, so here goes:

I just picked up a Solar Waveceptor WVA-430U from ebay as non working. The charge indicator is flashing which would obviously mean stick it under light or new battery needed. Under a light nothing happens, (I once had a solar G with no battery from ebay that the digital section worked on immediately under a light even with no battery, should this be the same?), is the solar panel possibly no good?

So case off, all springs appear to be there, including one bottom centre in the casing, one in the plastic insert that covers the module and the alarm spring. The battery is the correct one, (CTL1616), and if I do AC reset the watch springs into life. Once the case is screwed down I can get it to do a manual receive and all works fine, but after about 1 or 2 minutes it goes into flashing charge indicator again and turns off. If I leave the buttons alone it also dies shortly afterwards.

In the setting mode the battery status shows as High. The only other thing I spotted is that when it is running, the Power Save indicator is showing as ON, but I guess this would have nothing to do with the watch turning off?

Any ideas? I can obviously get another CTL1616 to confirm, can I try a standard battery in it to try it out or will that fry it? If so which size is a match for the CTL1616?

This is the watch, not mine but a pic off the net:
    Name:  wva-430u.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  24.3 KB

As always, thanks for anyone's advice, much appreciated,

Rick
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

Re: WVA-430U battery shows high but dies

Quote Originally Posted by sodamonkey View Post
    I just picked up a Solar Waveceptor WVA-430U from ebay as non working. The charge indicator is flashing which would obviously mean stick it under light or new battery needed. Under a light nothing happens, (I once had a solar G with no battery from ebay that the digital section worked on immediately under a light even with no battery, should this be the same?), is the solar panel possibly no good?
    How long have you left it under a light, what kind of light, and what do you mean by "under a light nothing happens?" The manual for that model says that it's going to need 17 hours of OUTDOOR SUNLIGHT to take the battery all the way from "almost dead" to "full."

There WERE some digital solar Casio models that didn't have a battery and were truly "solar powered" -- but modern solar models don't spring instantaneously back to life like that. Those old ones had something like a 14-day power reserve where they could operate without exposure to light; newer ones average close to a year without light.

...and if I do AC reset the watch springs into life. Once the case is screwed down I can get it to do a manual receive and all works fine, but after about 1 or 2 minutes it goes into flashing charge indicator again and turns off. If I leave the buttons alone it also dies shortly afterwards.

In the setting mode the battery status shows as High. The only other thing I spotted is that when it is running, the Power Save indicator is showing as ON, but I guess this would have nothing to do with the watch turning off?
    It sounds like it's got just enough charge to get it started and/or show a false charge level (top of page 4 of the manual at http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3353.pdf ) but it's not really on "high."

Power Save is what makes the watch turn off when it's left in the dark for DAYS, but doesn't sound like it's causing these particular problems.

Any ideas? I can obviously get another CTL1616 to confirm, can I try a standard battery in it to try it out or will that fry it? If so which size is a match for the CTL1616?
    It sounds to me like the cheapest and easiest option is the one that's most commonly suggested around here when people get a used solar watch: put that thing outside in the sun for a couple of days to make sure it's fully charged BEFORE trying anything else. (Based on your location it looks like your winter weather is a lot like ours here in that it can be a long while until you get an actual "sunny day" -- but next week at least looks promising!)

Waiting for the sun to charge it will test the battery AND the solar panel, but won't cost anything and will take some time.

If you want to test it with a "normal" battery, according to this thread a CR1616 will fit: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/my-...l#post25783673

However, try to keep it OUT of bright light so it doesn't try to charge the non-rechargeable battery!
    nb9001 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    How long have you left it under a light, what kind of light, and what do you mean by "under a light nothing happens?" The manual for that model says that it's going to need 17 hours of OUTDOOR SUNLIGHT to take the battery all the way from "almost dead" to "full."

There WERE some digital solar Casio models that didn't have a battery and were truly "solar powered" -- but modern solar models don't spring instantaneously back to life like that. Those old ones had something like a 14-day power reserve where they could operate without exposure to light; newer ones average close to a year without light.
    Hi Mike, thanks for your answer. The G in question was an AWG-101-1, it took a CTL1025 but came to me without one. However the digital sections worked immediately when under the light I work on my watches with, the hands didn't. I tried the same thing with this WVA just to see if it would do the same thing, but it may not work the same way.

It sounds like it's got just enough charge to get it started and/or show a false charge level (top of page 4 of the manual at http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3353.pdf ) but it's not really on "high."
    I haven't got the manual downloaded yet for reference, but it sounds like this is most likely the case.

WHEN we get the decent light back here in the UK I'll try and leave it outside for the day and see what happens before spending out on a new battery for it. I guess to try it with a non rechargeable is pointless as it won't prove anything!
    Mike K likes this.
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Mike, thanks for your answer. The G in question was an AWG-101-1, it took a CTL1025 but came to me without one. However the digital sections worked immediately when under the light I work on my watches with, the hands didn't. I tried the same thing with this WVA just to see if it would do the same thing, but it may not work the same way.

I haven't got the manual downloaded yet for reference, but it sounds like this is most likely the case.

WHEN we get the decent light back here in the UK I'll try and leave it outside for the day and see what happens before spending out on a new battery for it. I guess to try it with a non rechargeable is pointless as it won't prove anything!
    Just leave it on a windowsill that gets some sunlight, for a couple of days. I'm in the UK and most of mine live on a dresser just getting ambient light in a room that really only gets indirect light because the blinds are nearly always closed, yet all always show HI.

Whenever I've had a solar that's not showing full charge, some windowsill time cures it, and ambient light maintains it.

The G in question was an AWG-101-1, it took a CTL1025 but came to me without one. However the digital sections worked immediately when under the light I work on my watches with, the hands didn't. I tried the same thing with this WVA just to see if it would do the same thing, but it may not work the same way.
    Sorry -- I don't know WHY I read your first description and thought it was one of those other watches without a "real" power reserve, but I'll blame "not enough coffee" as I usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wongsky View Post
    Just leave it on a windowsill that gets some sunlight, for a couple of days. I'm in the UK and most of mine live on a dresser just getting ambient light in a room that really only gets indirect light because the blinds are nearly always closed, yet all always show HI.

Whenever I've had a solar that's not showing full charge, some windowsill time cures it, and ambient light maintains it.
    As you said, ambient light is great for maintaining a charge, but if a solar watch is almost dead it's going to take (on average) four times as long to FULLY charge it with sunlight through a window than it would with direct sun, and ten times as long with "light through a window on a cloudy day."

A couple of days on a windowsill should get sodamonkey's watch far enough into the "medium" range that it SHOULD at least work properly, but it will still have a long ways to go until "full."

Name:  charging wva-430.png
Views: 390
Size:  37.4 KB

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3353.pdf
    nb9001 likes this.

Sorry -- I don't know WHY I read your first description and thought it was one of those other watches without a "real" power reserve, but I'll blame "not enough coffee" as I usually do.

As you said, ambient light is great for maintaining a charge, but if a solar watch is almost dead it's going to take (on average) four times as long to FULLY charge it with sunlight through a window than it would with direct sun, and ten times as long with "light through a window on a cloudy day."

A couple of days on a windowsill should get sodamonkey's watch far enough into the "medium" range that it SHOULD at least work properly, but it will still have a long ways to go until "full."

Name:  charging wva-430.png
Views: 390
Size:  37.4 KB

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/...009/qw3353.pdf
    Well it does stand to reason that the more discharged the watch is, the longer it will take to reach full charge. But assuming he doesn't need to wear the watch urgently, the solution is simple - leave it on the windowsill until it shows high charge then just keep it in an environment where it's getting ambient light.

It's worked just fine for my WVA-430.

Well it does stand to reason that the more discharged the watch is, the longer it will take to reach full charge. But assuming he doesn't need to wear the watch urgently, the solution is simple - leave it on the windowsill until it shows high charge then just keep it in an environment where it's getting ambient light.

It's worked just fine for my WVA-430.
    My point was that if he wants to QUICKLY find out what's wrong with the watch, and whether he'll need to replace the battery, it's going to be faster and more efficient to put the watch OUTDOORS than on a windowsill.

The OP has other solar watches, so "maintenance charging" doesn't appear to be an issue.

My point was that if he wants to QUICKLY find out what's wrong with the watch, and whether he'll need to replace the battery, it's going to be faster and more efficient to put the watch OUTDOORS than on a windowsill.

The OP has other solar watches, so "maintenance charging" doesn't appear to be an issue.
    Thing is, who wants to leave a watch outdoors.

I mean, really, the difference between charge times inside or outside, and a secondhand watch? I'm just not seeing why there'd be such a huge hurry.

Thing is, who wants to leave a watch outdoors.

I mean, really, the difference between charge times inside or outside, and a secondhand watch? I'm just not seeing why there'd be such a huge hurry.
    The difference between charge times is just simple math. From "empty" to "full" in two days in the winter, versus approximately a week (based on 10 hours of light per day) -- IF the sun is out! If it's cloudy, we're probably talking twice as long.

It's not exactly a "huge" hurry but if you just bought a second-hand watch (that probably arrived in the mail in just a few days) would you REALLY want to wait another week to see if it works or not? And yes, you COULD just buy a new battery if you were in a huge hurry, but there's still a difference between "a couple days" and "a week" to find out.

As to "who wants to leave a watch outdoors?" take a look at this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/my-...n-2580898.html

Someone who lives in an apartment or condo in the middle of a city might not be able to leave a watch outdoors and unattended all day, or if they do the watch might not be there when they come back.

For people who live in the country or the suburbs (or just have a secure patio or balcony) it's REALLY not that big a deal. I'm quite sure none of my neighbors would want to steal what they would view as "a cheap Japanese wristwatch" even if they could see my watches outside -- and unless I'm sunning several at once, there's a good chance they wouldn't even see a watch!

The difference between charge times is just simple math. From "empty" to "full" in two days in the winter, versus approximately a week (based on 10 hours of light per day) -- IF the sun is out! If it's cloudy, we're probably talking twice as long.

It's not exactly a "huge" hurry but if you just bought a second-hand watch (that probably arrived in the mail in just a few days) would you REALLY want to wait another week to see if it works or not? And yes, you COULD just buy a new battery if you were in a huge hurry, but there's still a difference between "a couple days" and "a week" to find out.

As to "who wants to leave a watch outdoors?" take a look at this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/my-...n-2580898.html

Someone who lives in an apartment or condo in the middle of a city might not be able to leave a watch outdoors and unattended all day, or if they do the watch might not be there when they come back.

For people who live in the country or the suburbs (or just have a secure patio or balcony) it's REALLY not that big a deal. I'm quite sure none of my neighbors would want to steal what they would view as "a cheap Japanese wristwatch" even if they could see my watches outside -- and unless I'm sunning several at once, there's a good chance they wouldn't even see a watch!
    I wasn't necessarily thinking of theft. Some people haven't got anything suitable to just leave a watch outside, without worrying about the wind or animals chewing on the damn thing.

Seriously, you're making this out to be a solution without a problem.

It's a secondhand watch, already bought knowing something wasn't quite right. Leave it on windowsill for a few days, then go and look at it. If it is showing as if it's charged reasonably, then you can be reasonably sure the cell isn't toast - it shouldn't need a full charge to prove that. After that, a few more days, or just either worn or left in ambient light will see it fully charged at some point. I mean what's the damn hurry for it to be fully charged. All he really needs to know at this point is whether it will actually charge properly.
    Last edited by Wongsky; February 13th, 2016 at 23:57.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information