WVA-M650D-2AJF: 10 bar - vs. M650D-2AER: 5 bar
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Watch_Geekmaster

Thread: WVA-M650D-2AJF: 10 bar - vs. M650D-2AER: 5 bar

Question WVA-M650D-2AJF: 10 bar - vs. M650D-2AER: 5 bar

The Japanese domestic version (AJF) of the new Casio Wave Ceptor model WVA-M650 features 10 bar water resistance, whereas the European version (AER) specifies only 5 bar. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I find searching for this model at Japanese vs. European advertisers. Other than for WR the two versions seem perfectly identical, as mostly; also price-wise. The difference however being, one can swim with the Japanese version but not with the European version, presents some incentive to go for the Japan domestic model. Can anyone elucidate?

Re: WVA-M650D-2AJF: 10 bar - vs. M650D-2AER: 5 bar

From the Casio websites (see links), you're correct about they are listing as 2 different water resistant ratings. I guess either Europe has a more stringent standard for WR ratings, or it's just a typo in one of the websites. It's not unusual to see errors in watch specification in Casio websites, in fact the US Casio website is probably the worst. See example in another thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/ne...l#post19357689, and no they have not corrected the errors yet!

WVA-M650D-2AER - Radio Controlled Gentleman - Watch - Products - CASIO
    WVA-M650D-1AJF - CASIO

By the way the WVA-M650D is a cheap down version of the Lineage LCW-M300D, by using part resin case instead of full metal case. Both are using a similar module to the well known GW2500/3500 G-shock. The full metal LCW-M300D is rated at 5 bar WR. The older "cousin" WVA-M640D, which is also part metal part resin, is rated at 10 bar WR. My guess is that the Japanese site is probably correct at 10 bar.

Either way, even a 5 bar watch is likely acceptable for a 50 meters dive, as Casio is general very conservative for their WR ratings. It's perfectly ok for swimming! See this thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/can...e-1847322.html
    madman01 likes this.

Thanks for the substantiated info. I share your guess that this difference originates from different testing specs, just wondering if it also shows on the case backs of the two M650 versions. By the way I own four GW2500s, 20 bar WR, all with metal bands, will put up pics when two of them come back from service.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So here are my four GW2500s.
    Far left: GW2500 with silver tone metal bracelet of GW2000D.
    Middle left: GW2500B with black metal bracelet of GW3500BD (new casing and battery).
    Middle right:GW2500B with blank metal inner bezel of GW2500 and metal+plastic combi bracelet of MTG-1000 (new casing and battery).
    Far right: GW2500BD, all original (new).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frans_F View Post
    The Japanese domestic version (AJF) of the new Casio Wave Ceptor model WVA-M650 features 10 bar water resistance, whereas the European version (AER) specifies only 5 bar. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I find searching for this model at Japanese vs. European advertisers. Other than for WR the two versions seem perfectly identical, as mostly; also price-wise. The difference however being, one can swim with the Japanese version but not with the European version, presents some incentive to go for the Japan domestic model. Can anyone elucidate?
    Casio apparently fixed that particular typo on their website!

WVA-M650D-2AJF - ウオッチ - 時計 - CASIO currently shows the WVA-M650D-2AJF as 10 bar of water resistance, and WVA-M650D-2AER - Radio Controlled Gentleman - Watch - Products - CASIO shows the WVA-M650D-2AER as 10 bar as well!

As Watch_Geekmaster noted above, Casio's websites often have errors, which I suspect comes from one or two people doing too much repetitive "copying and pasting" into one form after another whenever new models are released. Since sites like Amazon then copy and paste that same information into THEIR sites, those mistakes spread across the internet, which leads to questions here at WUS like "why is the lug-to-lug distance of one particular color of <model> so much larger than the others?"

Thread Information