Year of manufacture?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sodamonkey

Thread: Year of manufacture?

Question Year of manufacture?

Hi all. Apologies for sticking this in the G Shock section, but as this bit of the forum is at least for Casio's I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm after a year of manufacture for the little Casio I received today from ebay, (photo below). I like picking up older Casio's, and this one looked quite nice and also came with the original box & instructions. The model No is MQ-52W, Module No 311. Also stamped on the rear case is: Japan, RM, St.Steel Back, 50M, Water Resistant. I haven't seen the "RM" letters on any Casio, or at least don't remember seeing them. It's definitely originally purchased in Japan, as it has a dealer's stamp on the guarantee. There is what appears to be a date on the stamp, but in a weird format: 61.4.20.

By the style I'd guess 1990's somewhere, but believe it or not, this particular model doesn't appear in a Google search! The only result is in fact this exact watch from a search resulting in the ebay listing I won.

I'm hazarding a guess this was only available in Japan due to the fact I can't find any info on it. I'm aware it's not worth any amount of money, but as I buy & sell watches on an ad-hoc basis, I'd like to be able to give potential buyers info on when it was made, etc.

Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks for any help!

Regards,

Rick

Name:  Casio MQ-52W.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  21.5 KB
    gripmaster likes this.

Re: Year of manufacture?

Quote Originally Posted by sodamonkey View Post
    Hi all. Apologies for sticking this in the G Shock section, but as this bit of the forum is at least for Casio's I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm after a year of manufacture for the little Casio I received today from ebay, (photo below). I like picking up older Casio's, and this one looked quite nice and also came with the original box & instructions. The model No is MQ-52W, Module No 311. Also stamped on the rear case is: Japan, RM, St.Steel Back, 50M, Water Resistant. I haven't seen the "RM" letters on any Casio, or at least don't remember seeing them. It's definitely originally purchased in Japan, as it has a dealer's stamp on the guarantee. There is what appears to be a date on the stamp, but in a weird format: 61.4.20.

By the style I'd guess 1990's somewhere, but believe it or not, this particular model doesn't appear in a Google search! The only result is in fact this exact watch from a search resulting in the ebay listing I won.

I'm hazarding a guess this was only available in Japan due to the fact I can't find any info on it. I'm aware it's not worth any amount of money, but as I buy & sell watches on an ad-hoc basis, I'd like to be able to give potential buyers info on when it was made, etc.

Thanks for reading all of this, and thanks for any help!

Regards,

Rick

Name:  Casio MQ-52W.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  21.5 KB
    Dear Rick, I have one watch with those specifications, bought in the early 90's, in Buenos Aires, place where I live.
    Is true, your photo is the unique in the web! My 311 have an blue light dial color.
    Regards.

Re: Year of manufacture?

Casio released AQ-500, their first analog / digital watch, on November 1982. It's considered a landmark in their history. That watch had Module No. 305. Since yours is Module No. 311, not too far ahead from 305 and assuming Casio numbered their watch modules sequentially, it would put yours released somewhere in the mid 1980's, probably around or after 1983.

Edit to add, the number 61 in the date number 61.4.20 you mentioned above could be a traditional Japanese year number. 1986 was Showa 61, meaning the 61st year of the Showa Emperor era.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; October 27th, 2014 at 19:28.

Thread Information