I'm a fan of squares...particularly the steel case ones. What I currently wear is a DW-5000-1JF with a DW-5030 LCD. My good friend and guitarist wanted one like it, so I ended up using a restore piece that went undone. It was meant to be flipped, but now is going to a known home.
This one took some more love and care than I expected, which is why I left it unfinished for months. The crystal needed a lot of work, spent forever with the cerium oxide, and finally pushed it passed the 99% that kung often mentions. The case back was also a big pain in the patooty. It has a bunch of deep nicks which are still there. It'd have taken far too much material removal to get them all out, risking the text engravings. So I did my best and went through the gamut of polished all the way up to 0.5 micron. It's nice and shiny now, but the nicks make you want to wear it without any concern.
One button had a bent stem. I got that one straight, surprisingly easily. All the button seals were in great shape but bone dry. Cleaned them off, added a light coat of silicone grease. Back to perfect working order.
I swapped out the LCD for the DW-5030 model. Fortunately, I ordered 4 of them back when PacParts was selling screens and modules. I've still got 2 left, which is nice. It's super crisp, super clear. A real joy to look at. It's also cool retaining the older blue EL panel.
So, this thing was gaining time like crazy, something like 30 seconds fast a month. I spent a while with the trim knob, making adjustments. It was another royal pain, so I figure I'll post my log just for kicks. I deleted the log I made from the first time, and totally forgot which direction did what. You'll see that in the entries:So that's nice...Set time to base, runs about 1 second fast per day.
7/5/15 @11:00am - Counterclockwise, set to base.
7/5/15 @8:05pm - Running faster. Moved trim clockwise, reset to base time (GW-5000).
7/7/15 @5:15pm - Running slow. Moved trim counterclockwise, reset to base time..Clockwise = slows time.
7/10/15 @6:35am - Running too fast. Clockwise nudge, set to base time.
7/11/15 @5:35pm - Still a bit too fast. Clockwise nudge, set to base time.
7/12/15 @5:35am - Screwed up, bumped it faster. Clockwise nudge only, set to base time.
7/12/15 @3:05pm - Half second fast, clockwise nudge, set to base time.
7/13/15 @6:35pm - 1.5 seconds fast since last set. Nudge clockwise, may have been a larger nudge than wanted... Set to base time.
7/14/15 @7:35am - 1 second fast since last set. Nudge clockwise. Is this helping at all? Set to base time.
Seems clockwise (screwing in) is speeding it up... This isn't good.
7/14/15 @11:10am - Running too fast, going.counterclockwise.now. Set to base time. Just behind base time seconds.
7/14/15 @7:25pm - Improving. Nudge counterclockwise. Set to base time.
7/15/15 @5:55am - 1/2-second fast, nudge counterclockwise again. Set to base time.
7/15/15 @5:45pm - 1/2-second fast, nudge counterclockwise yet again. Set to base time.
7/16/15 - @6:05am - 1/-second fast, two nudges counterclockwise. Set to base time.
7/17/15 - @5:45pm - About .9 seconds fast in 1.5 days. Improving. Two nudges counterclockwise. Set to base time.
7/18/15 - @8:25pm - Still too fast, two nudges counterclockwise.
7/26/15 - @4:00pm - 2 seconds fast = 7.5 seconds fast per month. Excellent.
7/9/15 @6:50pm - Set to base time. Checking time drift.
7/14/15 @12:30pm - Set to base time, now on wrist. Forgot to check...
New gasket, new resin. DW-5030 bezel and GW-5000 strap. She's now ready for the world!