Are you amazed by some of the "Collectible" G prices?
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Are you amazed by some of the "Collectible" G prices?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are you amazed by some of the "Collectible" G prices?

I am

I am still quite new to it all having started buying G's just this past Nov 2014

I see many that for what ever reason seem very attractive to me so I understand the pull.

But being new I have to admit some prices I see are amazing to me.
    I just saw a DW-6900FSLRG-8 ...you know the "Time Is Money" one with the Panda on it...
    It went on sale here on one of our groups for over $1000 USD I thought wow I know that is a limited
    to 500 pieces watch but it is after all is said & done a basic 1289 module.
    Well that thing sold in under 5 minutes

I have seen many others similar & don't even get started on the Frog's

I know the old saying something is worth what someone is willing to pay so
    understand this but... still I am quite amazed at some of the prices.

How about you?

Re: Are you amazed by some of the "Collectible" G prices?

You can buy a Casio scientific calculator for as little as $9.99 on Amazon ... very quick check.

I'm sure the chip is no bigger than that in a G-Shock. There's a lot, but still a finite number of modules for G-Shocks. They're certainly no more complicated

than the calculator. So ... yes ... change the programming, use the materials to create a case, resin exterior & strap ... & you really don't have a lot more !!!

There's a certain design cost, production run set-up cost & peripheral costs amortized over the number of watches in each run.

They are all, essentially, mass produced in a fairly automated process. After what ... 40 years or so ... they've pretty much got it down pat!

The real costs are in marketing & distribution ... but on a per piece basis, that's still peanuts.

They are, however, 'MASTER MARKETERS' , and it obviously works. New release every month? ... Limited editions ... now 'GPS' ... & we're all on it like a dirty shirt.

Best tool they have ... COLLECTIONS ... like the Rangeman or the Frogman ... or the ....

There's a price range & jumping on level for everybody. You can collect at the bottom ... the top ... or anywhere in between. You can even collect them all ... like Sjors !!!

I'm less amazed now than I was at the start of writing this! We drive the prices by paying them ! Somebody at Casio is a genius!
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

That is true John from that angle initial cost must be pretty reasonable.

Many models as you say are quite reasonable initially & most DW6900's etc seem very fair
    price wise given various currencies. Some folks have a good eye too I think for certain models that
    will become more desirable as the years go by.

But I have been more amazed at how certain models really take off in
    the after sale market & become the popular collectibles fetching the much higher prices.

It is interesting to watch & like I said something is always worth what another is willing to pay
    but still at times it amazes me what some pieces go for a few years after a fairly inexpensive initial release
    Interesting to watch at times
    JohnQFord and Izzy_Does_It like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What's strange is that the prices for some grail models keep going up, but prices in general are going down. A Murakami frogman sold for $46,500 recently on ebay, which I believe is the most anyone has ever paid for a G-shock.

Contrast that with prices in general. I have been watching G-shock prices on ebay closely for several years and there has never been a better time in the past several years to buy most models. Bargains can be had all over the place. New models like the Men in Camo Mudman keep getting price drops. The world finally gets an atomic Mudman with CF band and it seems the retailers can't sell it well. Strange. The prices for it on Amazon keep falling.

I think Casio has produced too many limited edition watches and too many different watches in general. No one can remember all the different models, so only a handful become true grails to collectors. Models of 6900 like the Pegleg, LRG Panda, Play Cloths (I have had the LRG Panda and Pegleg and there is really nothing special about them other than the art design, so it is all collector hype)

Of course limited Frogman prices are usually very high, but only for certain models. Some models are more "collectible" than others. Some of the old 8200 frogs can be really good deals now.

It is a great time to collect, but only if you are going to steer clear of the few "grail" models and explore the thousands of other G-shocks out there. Of course, if money is not an issue then chase whatever you want, grails included.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; May 20th, 2015 at 15:21.
    flying, Crater, JohnQFord and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post

It is interesting to watch & like I said something is always worth what another is willing to pay
    but still at times it amazes me what some pieces go for a few years after a fairly inexpensive initial release
    Interesting to watch at times

It is a collectors thing.

G Shocks are collectible, a bit like postage stamps for which you can pay thousands just for a tiny bit of paper.

The LRGs are especially sought after, particularly this first 6900 and the Frogman.

There is one for sale for about $3000 currently on eBay but he is taking the pee frankly with that price.

2010 CASIO G-SHOCK X LIFTED RESEARCH GROUP/ LRG "TIME IS MONEY" PANDA DW6900 | eBay

There is a better bet with one on Japan Yahoo, which is currently bid up to 86,000 yen with nearly four days to go on the auction.

超激レア!!未使用♪LRGのコラボ♪パン ダ DW-6900FSLRG-8CR - ヤフオク!

There is also an LRG Frogman going today on Yahoo and is currently bid to 221,000 yen with an hour to go.

G-SHOCK★GW-206K-7LRG 10周年記念 フ.ッグマン★極美品⑧ - ヤフオク!

The prices do seem very high for what are plastic watches but you are paying mainly for the collectible aspect and not the true inherent value.

You need to get lucky with your initial purchase really if it then becomes a desirable collectible. As an example the LRG Frogman was initially $600 at retail but I picked up mine as a stock clearance for $250!

Threads need pictures so..........

Mitch
    flying, JohnQFord, domoon and 5 others like this.

Considering all the resin will rot to powder in the future and theres no replacements for most of these collector item Gshocks, it totally amazes me people put that much money into them, dont get me wrong, i understand the collector mentality, ive been one all my life mostly with original german military memorabilia from ww1 and ww2, which as far as militaria goes its a money tree if you got in early enough, also vintage action figures which is also a money tree as i collected vintage kenner starwars toys before the rush hit, along with first shots, bootlegs and protos, and ill say the plastic is just as good as it was 30 years ago, unlike the garbage resin the use in G-Shocks, theres plastic watches from 30 years ago that hold up fine but G's start falling apart in half a decade, id be very cautious putting big money into them for any other reason than to wear.
    Ive collected things i really enjoy but im lucky enough they have been very strong markets down the track.
    Now i totally understand collecting G's but i cant see them holding value in 30 years time if they are falling apart, seems they have been a solid short term investment but it remains to be seen what will happen in the future.

Thanks for the views given all very interesting

@ king-fusion thanks & You know I have noticed the same here even though I have not been chasing high end stuff
    I do notice overall some great deals on some things. While not chasing Grails of course some have caught my eye & when I look them
    up then I realize they are sought after & priced accordingly. But normal things I think are quite a deal. Even some newer models that I did not
    initially get & find new old stock priced very nice & cheaper than original retail.

@ Mitch100 thanks & that is how I thought about it...meaning a collectible is decided by the masses. Not much different than stamps as you say or comics etc.
    I was surprised though that some of the DW's I have seen are not even that old yet have gained such a following that the prices show it.
    Thanks for the pictures too! That frog is one of those things I mentioned admiring only to look it up & realize...ok this one will not be mine
    Another one that I have lusted after from early on for some reason is the illest DW6900 original one in Teal & Black
    But again that one has been priced very high so must have a good following also.

@Cobia ...I had thought something similar...not so much about rot as I do have a non-collectible DW6900H-9 that was bought by the previous owner
    in 1997 & the watch made in 1995 yet the resin is fine...albeit the bezel slightly different shade of yellow than the strap but....\
    My initial thought was that many of the desirable DW6900's were basically a 1289 & the strap/bezel artwork was the draw considering the faceplate & rear cover is removable too.
    But just something I thought about as to how they were basically all the same watch save for those things that the art is attached to.

But all that said... I do find it very interesting & spend much time reading & learning about the various models.
    I do enjoy it all greatly

Thanks again for the responses so far

The supply of fools is always abundant ; the trick is to know if you are being set up as a fool. :)

The original G5600A-7 went from 90$ to 180$. And I thought this is already a big deal ...

I was just as surprised as you are, when I joined those groups on FB Couldn't believe how much some models costs on secondary market... Whole new world opened to me, g-shock scene there is so diffrent from what we have here on forum.

Seems like buyers from south east Asia are more into g-shocks and collectible models, there are buyers from Europe and USA too, but they are in minority.

I haven't noticed any drops in prices yet like kung mentioned, but truthfully I haven't been looking very hard

Its true that there are thousands of models out there, some are more collectable then others. Kings for example, DGK is now around $1000 if you want mint condishion, but others aren't that far behind, price wise, blue King or green Army King, $400, something around that.
    Last edited by Crater; May 20th, 2015 at 17:22.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information