Your thoughts on my next G-Shock?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Joakim Agren
  • 1 Post By Paul Dan
  • 2 Post By kung-fusion

Thread: Your thoughts on my next G-Shock?

Your thoughts on my next G-Shock?

Let me start with a brief history, so you know where I'm coming from:

As a kid, I had Casio watches. Mainly, one sturdy ana-digi.

As an older kid and teen, I bought my first G-Shock, a DW-5600E back in the 90s. Great watch, never had any complaints. Didn't think much about watches for many years, as that one did everything for me.

Then, I discovered mechanical watches, and became a bit snobby. Didn't use a digital or even quartz watch for years and years.

Now, I've come full circle. I still like mechanical watches, but I also find myself liking quartz and digitals again, for their great features and different styles.

My first G-Shok, the 5600E, I gave away a couple Christmases ago, because I wasn't using it. (along with a now extinct and rare calculator watch) I assumed all the newer G-Shocks had the same great features, and then some.

So I got a GW-500 (?) one of the first solar/atomic G-Shocks. Nice watch, but no countdown timer; it had been replaced with a useless time log feature. I gave that one to a coworker. I don't really miss it, as I love the countdown timer feature.

I replaced it with my lone G-Shock that I have now, an also-discontinued GW-M850. Not too big, not too gaudy, has almost all of the features I want, namely:

• Solar
    • Atomic
    • Countdown timer
    • Multi-function alarm(s) [one would be fine]
    • World Time (or dual time, I don't care which)

I only miss two features that my old 5600E had:

• time display in stopwatch & timer modes (GREAT feature!)
    • Auto-return to home screen (where if you use or adjust one of the other modes, the next press of the 'MODE' button takes me right back to the home screen

But the 5600E doesn't have world/dual time or solar/atomic, which I like!

Meanwhile, I picked up a Pathfinder PAW2000, which has everything. (except auto-return) But it is big on my small 6-7/8" wrist, and not as comfortable as a G. It pulls the odd hair and does not stay put when loose on the wrist, like a G does. [I always took for granted how comfortable G-Shocks were!]

The GW-M850 and PAW2000.

OK, so that wasn't so brief, but maybe you enjoyed sharing my G-Shock journey of the last 17 years. ;)

Now, I'm thinking of my next G. I think I've got it down to two models, but I'm open to you experts too.

1) A classic Mudman. I just bought the purple one for my bro as a Christmas gift. Great watch; it has a lot of the strengths of the 5600E, and adds a couple neat things. (more modern style, and stopwatch bar graphs on the home screen) But I don't think this one will continue to display the time of day when the stopwatch and timer are running. That's a shame.

2) Stop fighting it and get another 5600E. I see there is a 5600J, but it loses the multi-function alarm, and maybe the time display during timer and stopwatch. (?)

I also see there is the "King G" which is a 5600, but I don't like that it is so huge. The small size is one thing I liked on the 5600E and that I still like on the GW-M850.

There is also the new 9300 Mudman, which is solar (not atomic in the US) and adds the useful compass, fun moon phase, and sometimes useful thermometer. But darn, that's a lot of money. (~$240?) It's also bigger than the 5600E or 9000.

What do you guys think? Should I just give in and replace my trusty old 5600E, because I'll always miss it if I don't have it?

Or should I "update" and get a 9000 Mudman? I'm leaning towards a green Mudman, because it is a new color, would match with a lot of the green, brown, and khaki I wear on a day-to-day basis, but I can't help but wonder if I won't be happy until I have another 5600E....

Here are the watches:

DW5600E-1V

G9000-3V

Here are a couple more I just happened across:

G7700: Great feature set, esp. the timers. But will it be too much to scroll through?

G2900: Great features, and I would use ALL of them.

What do you guys think? Should I just give in and replace my trusty old 5600E, because I'll always miss it if I don't have it?

Or should I "update" and get a 9000 Mudman? I'm leaning towards a green Mudman, because it is a new color, would match with a lot of the green, brown, and khaki I wear on a day-to-day basis, but I can't help but wonder if I won't be happy until I have another 5600E....

Sorry for the long post. Your help is appreciated.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

Re: Your thoughts on my next G-Shock?

If timing functions such as countdown timer and stopwatch is critical to you then perhaps mud resist models are not the best choice because the buttons are rather hard to push and sometime you need to double push before they react.

G-7700 is one of the best G-Shock modules and is comfortable and a small size, so might be a good fit for you. But that one is not solar atomic. Perhaps the solar atomic GW-9200 Riseman could interest you? it is one of the most comfortable G's and mid sized. It comes with a barometer and altimeter as well as thermometer. But also stopwatch and countdown timer with visible time. Also have world time and 5 alarms (not multifunction alarm tough) one being a snooze. It also comes with a fifth light button for easy access. The Riseman is generally considered one of the best G's.

The regular GW-9200-1 basic black/red with positive display Riseman can be found for around $140-$150 on eBay.
    Smaug likes this.
    The Water Resistance Myth VS Reality article:https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=159142

Chrisek likes this.
    Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch. He decides what time it is.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dan View Post

this
    Chrisek and Paul Dan like this.

The GW-M5610 is a nice watch, but no time display in the stopwatch and CDT, and since it has 5 alarms, I guess they are not multifunction alarms either.

Solar/atomic is nice, but not worth tripling the price, since I've already got two solar/atomic Casios.

Riseman is a good call. $120 is a fair price. I don't need the alti/baro/thermo features, (have them on my Pathfinder already) but having the time of day in every mode except altimeter is pure gold. It doesn't have the multi-function alarm of the 5600E, has 5 daily alarms instead. Realistically, I can't count on wearing this watch on a future date anyway, so I can forgo that.

It's quite a lot bigger than a Mudman or 5600E though, and that is an issue. Still, I'll add this one to my list.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

I myself am waiting for the new GLS100 to fall in price (same features as the G9000) and am still eyeballing the G7900.

I think atomic is a gimmick unless perhaps you work for the railroads in a 3th world country where you have to set the clocks by hand.
    I can't think of any other use for it actually, (countdown man for space rocket perhaps?) my dw5600 runs 5 seconds fast each month so by the time I have to adjust for daylight savings it only runs 30 seconds fast.

I strongly suggest that the G-9200/GW-9200 Riseman will fit your requirements.

You'll be more than happy with this watch.
    Casio Riseman GW-9200J-1JF, Rangeman GW-9400J-1JF, Frogman GWF-1000G-1DR & Classic GW-M5610R-1DR. TAG Heuer Aquaracer 300m Calibre 5 WAN2110.BA0822. Seiko Criteria 100m Quartz Chronograph SNDC63P1.​Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller 116660. Apple Watch Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop.

I'm recommending the Riseman too. It fits your requirements well.

Thread Information