Changing Date Field
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Dan T.
  • 1 Post By hedd
  • 1 Post By Camguy
  • 1 Post By hedd

Thread: Changing Date Field

Changing Date Field

I recently purchased a new Glycine. I'm new to the self winding watch family. I know you're not supposed to change the date late and night. Well with my new watch, I waited until 9:00am to change the date. What I didn't know is the watch was actually showing 9:00pm not 9:00am (stupid mistake on my part). Once noon hit (or according to the watch midnight), the date changed. I went to reset date and spun dial so time was correctly reflected 12 hours later.

My question is did I hurt the watch spinning through the who date wheel (1-31) twice during the time frame you're not supposed to change it? Haven't had any obvious issues, but I'm not sure if I did some per-mature wear....

Also seems weird the instructions don't mention this!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Re: Changing Date Field

Quote Originally Posted by drock2420 View Post
    I recently purchased a new Glycine. I'm new to the self winding watch family. I know you're not supposed to change the date late and night. Well with my new watch, I waited until 9:00am to change the date. What I didn't know is the watch was actually showing 9:00pm not 9:00am (stupid mistake on my part). Once noon hit (or according to the watch midnight), the date changed. I went to reset date and spun dial so time was correctly reflected 12 hours later.

My question is did I hurt the watch spinning through the who date wheel (1-31) twice during the time frame you're not supposed to change it? Haven't had any obvious issues, but I'm not sure if I did some per-mature wear....

Also seems weird the instructions don't mention this!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
    It's probably fine. I've done similar by mistake after a few drinks. It's worse closer to midnight.

The only symptom of hurting it would be that the date doesn't flop over at midnight. I think you have to do it multiple time to really get the date wheel out of whack.

What I do is just pull the crown out to wind the hands (not the date), and then wind them forward. If the date rolls, then I know I'm in the a.m. If it doesn't then I'm in the p.m. A simple rule I keep: don't adjust the date wheel if the hour hand is between 9 and 3. Otherwise, roll the hands forward into the "safe zone" (hour hand between 3 and 9) before adjusting the date wheel. To be super safe, I typically adjust my date wheel when my hour hand is at six. Maybe I'm hurting my watches doing this but I've never noticed any issues.

I hate all date windows for two reasons: what you sate here (the PITA to get them right), and that they mostly look out of place on the style of watches I like. Date windows are a concession I've had to make but on many watches, they ruin the entire aesthetic for me. The only date method that truly looks great to me is the Oris pointer. That thing is marvelous.
    Ted Rzad likes this.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I really like the look of date windows. I couldn't tell you why. I especially like them with a line around them. I even like them when they are white on a dark dial.

The format I hate more than anything is small seconds. So useless.
    r-gordon-7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hedd View Post
    Oh man, this is something that rips me up too. I've never seen a watchmaker pull this off in an aesthetically pleasing way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Thanks for the info! I haven't notice any issues over the past month so hopefully I didn't do any damage!

Quote Originally Posted by hedd View Post
    A small seconds at least lets you know your watch is running. On a diver's watch it's called "proof of performance."

(Small seconds at 3:00)

Name:  3eb7d6b8c26af426322fd83c4c3cf11b.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  84.8 KB

(At 6:00)

Name:  8177ffbdf281792f9aab107b80db5ea3.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  62.2 KB

(At 9:00)

Name:  8d43beaa9e7a13735af4e15e268922c1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  75.7 KB
    Last edited by Camguy; April 27th, 2019 at 17:21.
    Ted Rzad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Camguy View Post
    A small seconds at least lets you know your watch is running. On a diver's watch it's called "proof of performance."

(Small seconds at 3:00)

Name:  3eb7d6b8c26af426322fd83c4c3cf11b.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  84.8 KB
    Ah, this makes sense. I have a VK-64 based modern chrono with no running seconds and I constantly wonder if the battery’s dead LOL.

I’ve also considered if small seconds was a mechanical concession of some sort: mechanically simpler to mass produce or to achieve a smaller height dimension for the movement? I’ve seen it on many mass-produced pocket watches for example. My wife has a basic 60s Girard Perregeaux time only with sub-dial seconds and is quite thin for the era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Rzad View Post
    Ah, this makes sense. I have a VK-64 based modern chrono with no running seconds and I constantly wonder if the battery’s dead LOL.

I’ve also considered if small seconds was a mechanical concession of some sort: mechanically simpler to mass produce or to achieve a smaller height dimension for the movement? I’ve seen it on many mass-produced pocket watches for example. My wife has a basic 60s Girard Perregeaux time only with sub-dial seconds and is quite thin for the era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, i think a big center seconds hand is a complication, but one that I find very worthwhile.
    Ted Rzad likes this.

Thread Information