First Glycine experience==Not a positive one
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: First Glycine experience==Not a positive one

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

First Glycine experience==Not a positive one

Ordered 2 Airman No1 from glycine-direct--one 36mm and one 40mm--cuz I couldn't decide on the size.

Returned the 40mm after determining that the 36mm was plenty large. So far so good.

But the 36mm watch seemed odd to me--unlike the 40mm, the 36mm did not come in the Glycine branded plastic bag and the protective sticker on the crystal was oddly doubled up (again, unlike the 40mm Airman). Also, the cardboard box was a little bent up around the flap. So I suspected it was a customer return that had been re-sold as "new"--that's generally not a problem for me as the watch looked clean.

Put the watch on my (bi-directional) winder for 4 days to track its timekeeping (seems pretty good but not great, -10s/day). Then on Wednesday night I take it off the winder and put it face-up on my dresser to see how it likes that position. In the morning I go to check the time and the watch had....STOPPED. Stopped after what looked to be just 6 hours! Not good.

Now I have reason to suspect that this watch was in fact very likely a customer return, and that the reason for the return was that the rotor was not winding the watch up properly. So I initiated a return immediately, and suddenly am soured on glycine-direct as I think they had to know this watch was defective (only defective watches get free return shipping, thus the previous customer would have been highly incentivized to report the problem).

In conclusion: A) consider my experience for what it's worth and B) what do other people think about Glycine's QC these days? I really want a 24-hour watch but I'm suddenly very leery of this company's product. Am I being unreasonable?

Re: First Glycine experience==Not a positive one

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/re...h-4897207.html

That's unfortunate ExMachina,

What's even more unfortunate is that this is looking like a trend on the forum. I keep seeing people having issues with their Airman watches. I just had a bad situation with a Double Twelve I purchased "New" before Christmas, you can check out the conversation posted above. I also suspect it may be a re-packaged return. I don't know what's happening with Glycine and their online sales, but things are getting pretty snerky.

Frankly, I wouldn't even consider buying any Airman model unless it was from a reputable, private seller that's spent quality time with their watch and is looking to move on.

I've got two Combat Subs with Sellita movements and a "Pre-Invicta" Combat 7 Vintage with ETA inside. All three have been solid watches. So maybe sticking with the Combat range is the way to go.

Best of luck.

Key word, Invicta
    Ticktocker likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mharris660 View Post
    Key word, Invicta

Name:  Invictaaa!!!.JPG
Views: 423
Size:  57.8 KB

I've purchased from Glycine Direct. No issues so far on the watch. The box it arrived in was perfectly wrapped, everything in its place, warranty cards and so forth. Mine was a bronze edition and it came vacuum-sealed with a note indicating as soon as you broke the seal, its going to start to petina and it wasn't a flaw of the watch. I think the relevant internetspeak might be "Seems Legit".

Hopefully the OP gets his situation sorted, but I would buy from GD again. Note, however, that they are clearly (to me anyhow) a drop ship organization and there are other ebay sellers with damn-near-identical stock, so you're probably going to see the occasional "WTF?" come through this process. Massdrop just sold 3000+ combat subs at a discount, my guess is if there is a problem with the brand at this point these forums are going to get busy in the short term so, I guess, stay tuned.....
    gaopa and ohhenry1 like this.

I purchased my brown-dial Bronze Airman, which I received just the other day, in the recent Bronze Airman "Massdrop drop." (Having previously been very pleased when I purchased several of my other Airman models from the "watchgooroo" a few years ago, I would also have purchased the Bronze Airman from them too, but at the time the Massdrop drop started, the brown-dial Bronze Airman wasn't available from either the gooroo or from their alter ego, glycine-direct. (Very shortly after the Massdrop drop started, the gooroo or glycine-direct - I forgot which - did suddenly and briefly have a few brow-dial Bronze Airmen listed on eBay, but by then I'd already placed my order with Massdrop - and, in any event, those few on eBay disappeared very quickly.)

When my "Massdrop drop" Bronze Airman arrived, it arrived packaged exactly as HeadRusch1 described his from glycine-direct - i.e., in the large spring-hinged Glycene presentation box, perfectly wrapped, with the bronze Airman vacuum sealed in heavy plastic, etc. In particular, the warranty card that came with mine read, "GSD Global" as the Authorized Dealer - exactly the same as with each of the Airman models I purchased from the gooroo - and the same, I understand, as all Glycines purchased from glycine-direct. So, it would seem that Massdrop likely sources its Glycine drops - at the very least, it sourced the recent Bronze Airman drop - from that same "glycine-direct/gooroo" source. And FWIW, my Bronze Airman clearly had not been previously sold/opened or handled - nor, did it seem, had any of the Airman models I purchased from the gooroo. I suppose, though, that doesn't mean it might not sometimes happen...
    ohhenry1 likes this.

I bought an Airman from glycine-direct on ebay a couple of months ago. I could not be happier with the watch. It is one of the most accurate automatic watches I have ever owned.

Sure sorry you had a bad experience.

I concur.. I have had 4 different Combat subs , one Incursore and now have the Combat Golden Eye. The lume is not as good as the Airman Bronze Brown Dial GMT but either is my Airman 17 SS GMT 44mm , which was purchased from a dealer on ebay in Texas.However, each of my Glycine watches was incredibly accurate and well made, well packaged too. I do think we might see some future problems as far as service and I recommend doing it locally and not returning it to any dealer or anyone connected. These watches are easily serviced by independent watch repair people and you save a lot of aggravation with mailing etc. When it comes to service , I fear the same people that service INVICTA might just be servicing Glycines recently. I like to talk to my watch repair people so I know what's REALLY going on with my watch , not some computer message and unseen shop. Certainly we all notice the increase in Name Recognition due to increased marketing that resemble INVICTA methods as opposed to the original family owned Glycine that never received any name recognition or did any advertising as far as I know. When I see my Bronze Airman advertised at $2100. and then know I can get it from G-D , not GOD, for $700. , it makes me feel like they are playing the same game that Invicta plays. A retail tag of $2500. on sale in a mall store and then reduced 20% but available one time only on EVINE for $300. Very strange indeed. Glycine was a well kept secret apparently and the brand was well received by military bases and Flying pros but not the normal consumer that only knows Timex, Seiko, Rolex and Omega, and of course INVICTA now,with its EVINE show of pressurized sales people selling collectible "Wall Clocks" that are the thickness of your arm..and show us that Invicta is the highest quality watch made. in the world. :) I hope Glycine never sees that type of advertising . It will ruin the brand. I prefer wearing my Glycines more than my Rolexes because it's a little less pretentious. I still wear the Rolexes when I'm trying to show off though. I'm partial to older models though , so they aren't the glitzy ones of today. If I want to travel, I wear my Airman. 3 time zones are so much fun...Too bad James Bond never wore a Glycine Sub or better yet , an Airman ... I wonder what Glycine would be like now if Pan Am would have commissioned Glycine to make their Pilot's GMT with 24 hour military dials and 3 time zones and a Bakelite bezel with a Radium lumed dial....instead of the big "R"...From a company started in 1917 it should have been the IWC of the U.S.

I bought a Double 12 , I've had it for about a year now. The watch runs well, it's only issue is it's losing around 10 seconds a day. I've had Seikos that run worse, but I thought at the price point, I would get a little better accuracy

Good to hear all the positive stories! And to be clear, I'm not implying that Glycine watches can't be good. They certainly have had a great reputation in the past, and I don't think Invicta wants to outright trash that.

However, it really does seem like Invicta is leveraging that reputation in order to sell higher volumes of discounted watches. This is coming at all at the expense of quality. While some watches may meet all expectations for what a GLycine "should be", more lemons (like mine) are inevitably going to be let out onto the market. This kind of a marketing strategy puts the responsibility of QC on the end user, and this will be bad for the brand over the long term.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast