Glycine Direct on eBay - Page 5
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Glycine Direct on eBay

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Glycine Direct on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by myke View Post
    Im glad they are legit i purchases a Base 22 purist black dial on steel. The reason I purchased is the photo shows the watch with the old logo pre invicta. I hope it arrives like that or its going back.
    The Base 22's for sale now, as well as the Airman 18's, are current production watches. Glycine (post Invicta) responded to feedback and are producing these and other models with the old logo.

While it's been covered time and again on this forum I'll add the reminder that the logo change occurred prior to the Invicta acquisition.

Edit: I see Hedd beat me to it!
    Barry

Re: Glycine Direct on eBay

I ordered another Glycine-Direct watch yesterday. My first Airman, the Double Twelve. The Combat Sub I received last week exceeded expectations, hope this turns out the same. I'll post it after unboxing.

Cheers

Name:  Glycine Double Twelve.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  30.9 KB

Just received and returned a Combat Sub 42 from Glycine Direct from ebay for $335 shipped. Liked the watch, but not enough to keep (I have a Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba and an SKX007, so did not really need another diver, but wanted to see it in the metal, and the price was great). I was pleasantly surprised that the return shipping is free and they are an authorized dealer (card included in box). If you want a Glycine, order from them with confidence that they are legit. (I am just a regular guy, not affiliated with Glycine in any way).

JK

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Has anyone bought the new "The Chief" airman?

Quote Originally Posted by Patagonico View Post
    Has anyone bought the new "The Chief" airman?
    No Sir, but I did order a Double Twelve a couple weeks ago from Glycerine-Direct and it's great.
    It has a display back and to my surprise I found a Sellita movement inside. I assumed all Glycines still used ETA 2824-2 movements for their GL224 Caliber. Guess not. I did some reading and found out it's been a bit of a mixed bag for a couple years now, opinions vary as to the why's and how's, but in the end it's really no bid deal and Glycine is just another victim of the Swatch group owning ETA. Anyway, it got me thinking about the Combat Sub I also purchased recently from the same dealer. Before opening it up to peek inside I messaged Glycine-Direct via Ebay about it yesterday. Here's how that went:

Me:
    Hello,
    I've purchased two watches from Glycine-Direct in the past two months (Combat Sub and Airman Double Twelve) and I'm completely satisfied with the watches and your service. I'm considering purchasing a third Glycine in the new year, a Combat Sub GL0094. In the past Glycine has used only ETA 2824-2 movements in their watches, recently they've started using Sellita SW200-1 movements as well. To my surprise that's what I found running my Airman Double Twelve. It's not a deal-breaker for me and I'm fully aware of the drama surrounding Swatch group and their ETA movements, but I'm just wondering what's inside my Combat Sub. Can you tell me what movement is inside the Combat Subs you're selling? I'd rather not open one up to look for myself, it's not that important.

Them:
    First off we'd like to thank you for being a returning customer. To answer your question, our personal representative at Glycine does not even specify to us the specific movements in each watch. Thankfully, we haven't had any complaints regarding the watch movement, and the few cases that had an issue were immediately resolved by either us or Glycine themselves.

To quote him:
    "All of our movements are listed as GLXXX. We do not specify if it is a modified ETA or Sellita movement. Some models use ETA, some use Sellita, and yet some use a variety of both movements. We regard the quality of both movement manufacturers to be equal."

Me:
    Thank You for the fast response to my question. I agree with Glycine, ETA vs. Sellita is really just something of interest for watch nerds like me. In the end they're basically the same device, Sellita is just a bit less expensive than the ETA its based on, but more accessible. What impresses me is the communication you have with Glycine and that you would take the time to hunt down an answer to my question and Glycine answered it. That's more important to me than which movement is in my watch. I trust Glycine and their authorized dealers to stand behind their watches and you've proven I'm right to do so.

Them:
    Not a problem, I'd be glad to answer anything else you might need.

I like Glycine and I like the people who sell them. Like they always say, your not just buying a watch, your buying the dealer too.

FYI,

I did open up my Combat Sub and looked inside just before I got the reply from Glycine-Direct this morning. Guess what?

Drum Roll Please.

Name:  Sellita 1.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  73.4 KB
    myke likes this.

What happened to your watch? It looks like the retaining spring of the shock protection is lose. Or is it just the picture?

I imagine you can easily tell ETA from sellita by number of jewels specified (25 vs 26)..

Its just the picture, I was trying to get good enough focus on the SW200-1 in the upper left.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger6 View Post
    I imagine you can easily tell ETA from sellita by number of jewels specified (25 vs 26)..
    Yes, the number of jewels is a dead giveaway of movement maker. Whether or not the extra jewel in the Sellita is necessary, dunno?. I've got two Glycines with ETA and now two with Sellita. I can't say I've noticed a difference in performance or crown action.

Cheers

Glycine Direct are in my experience a good seller. Bought a blue Airman 18 GMT from them, and they seem to have upgraded the shipping so that I received the watch faster than I expected.

However, after unboxing the watch I immediately noticed the 24 hour hand is about 20 - 25 minutes ahead. Having contacted first the Finnish service center and then Glycine CH I was told that USA Internet sellers only have a limited warranty service and the warranty work is only available at the Netherlands service center. After contacting them I was told they'll want a fee for it as well, 28 Euros + 21 % VAT. I would have to pay the shipping out, of course, as well.

Glycine Direct have been very supportive towards me but I can't say I'm happy with the sudden limitation of warranty by Glycine themselves in Europe. Return of the watch and refund of the price is pretty much out of the question as Ebays Global Shipping Program does not refund the customs fees.

Right now the watch that I was looking forward to is in its box, with the foils still on, in the closet and out of sight. I've pretty much lost interest in it and I'm still thinking what to do - send it to Holland for service, ask for a quote by the local watchmaker or just eat my loss, sell it as it is and be done with it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information