WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Glycine Direct on eBay

32K views 95 replies 53 participants last post by  Amlethoe 
#1 ·
#63 ·
Yes, I've been watching this also. Are they the same watch, or likely having different parts/movements? Why would one click on the higher priced watch and order it when the same watch is sitting in the next photo at half the cost? This makes me crazy, as I am a rookie trying to understand and learn so I can make the wisest purchase decision. I do love the GL0150!

#43 ·
Just received and returned a Combat Sub 42 from Glycine Direct from ebay for $335 shipped. Liked the watch, but not enough to keep (I have a Hamilton Khaki Navy Scuba and an SKX007, so did not really need another diver, but wanted to see it in the metal, and the price was great). I was pleasantly surprised that the return shipping is free and they are an authorized dealer (card included in box). If you want a Glycine, order from them with confidence that they are legit. (I am just a regular guy, not affiliated with Glycine in any way).

JK

#45 ·
No Sir, but I did order a Double Twelve a couple weeks ago from Glycerine-Direct and it's great.
It has a display back and to my surprise I found a Sellita movement inside. I assumed all Glycines still used ETA 2824-2 movements for their GL224 Caliber. Guess not. I did some reading and found out it's been a bit of a mixed bag for a couple years now, opinions vary as to the why's and how's, but in the end it's really no bid deal and Glycine is just another victim of the Swatch group owning ETA. Anyway, it got me thinking about the Combat Sub I also purchased recently from the same dealer. Before opening it up to peek inside I messaged Glycine-Direct via Ebay about it yesterday. Here's how that went:

Me:
Hello,
I've purchased two watches from Glycine-Direct in the past two months (Combat Sub and Airman Double Twelve) and I'm completely satisfied with the watches and your service. I'm considering purchasing a third Glycine in the new year, a Combat Sub GL0094. In the past Glycine has used only ETA 2824-2 movements in their watches, recently they've started using Sellita SW200-1 movements as well. To my surprise that's what I found running my Airman Double Twelve. It's not a deal-breaker for me and I'm fully aware of the drama surrounding Swatch group and their ETA movements, but I'm just wondering what's inside my Combat Sub. Can you tell me what movement is inside the Combat Subs you're selling? I'd rather not open one up to look for myself, it's not that important.

Them:
First off we'd like to thank you for being a returning customer. To answer your question, our personal representative at Glycine does not even specify to us the specific movements in each watch. Thankfully, we haven't had any complaints regarding the watch movement, and the few cases that had an issue were immediately resolved by either us or Glycine themselves.

To quote him:
"All of our movements are listed as GLXXX. We do not specify if it is a modified ETA or Sellita movement. Some models use ETA, some use Sellita, and yet some use a variety of both movements. We regard the quality of both movement manufacturers to be equal."

Me:
Thank You for the fast response to my question. I agree with Glycine, ETA vs. Sellita is really just something of interest for watch nerds like me. In the end they're basically the same device, Sellita is just a bit less expensive than the ETA its based on, but more accessible. What impresses me is the communication you have with Glycine and that you would take the time to hunt down an answer to my question and Glycine answered it. That's more important to me than which movement is in my watch. I trust Glycine and their authorized dealers to stand behind their watches and you've proven I'm right to do so.

Them:
Not a problem, I'd be glad to answer anything else you might need.

I like Glycine and I like the people who sell them. Like they always say, your not just buying a watch, your buying the dealer too.

FYI,

I did open up my Combat Sub and looked inside just before I got the reply from Glycine-Direct this morning. Guess what?

Drum Roll Please.

Wheel Tire Auto part Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

#50 ·
Glycine Direct are in my experience a good seller. Bought a blue Airman 18 GMT from them, and they seem to have upgraded the shipping so that I received the watch faster than I expected.

However, after unboxing the watch I immediately noticed the 24 hour hand is about 20 - 25 minutes ahead. Having contacted first the Finnish service center and then Glycine CH I was told that USA Internet sellers only have a limited warranty service and the warranty work is only available at the Netherlands service center. After contacting them I was told they'll want a fee for it as well, 28 Euros + 21 % VAT. I would have to pay the shipping out, of course, as well.

Glycine Direct have been very supportive towards me but I can't say I'm happy with the sudden limitation of warranty by Glycine themselves in Europe. Return of the watch and refund of the price is pretty much out of the question as Ebays Global Shipping Program does not refund the customs fees.

Right now the watch that I was looking forward to is in its box, with the foils still on, in the closet and out of sight. I've pretty much lost interest in it and I'm still thinking what to do - send it to Holland for service, ask for a quote by the local watchmaker or just eat my loss, sell it as it is and be done with it.

#54 ·
Take it to your local watchmaker. Resetting the arms will only be about $10-$15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well, I'll take the watch to the watchmaker today but my gut feeling is that the cost will be more like 30-ish Euros. Anyway, Glycine Direct have offered to refund me the cost of the job by the local watchmaker. This means the case is pretty much closed and Glycine Direct are an A1 seller, ready to stand behind the product.

#55 ·
I'm interested to hear how things go with your local watchmaker. I have recently received an Airman 18 Purist where the hour hand was off by about 25 minutes. I have returned it for an exchange, and am waiting to receive the replacement. Glycine-Direct themselves have been good to deal with, but this seems to be a common problem.

#56 ·
Interesting; I too had the same problem with Glycine Direct. Purchased a Combat Sub and a Combat 6 Classic. The Combat Sub is gaining +13 seconds per day and getting worse. The Combat 6 Classic is around +5-6 and seems steady. I sent back the Sub with no incident and they seemed responsive.

#57 ·
Received my Combat 6 Classic today from Glycine Direct. While I was less than thrilled with the way the watch arrived when I opened the box, it appears to be damage free. The watch does seem to running a bit quick, but can't say exactly how much yet since I just received it. But I'm worried it'll be +10-15 seconds per day.
I've only heard great things about Glycine Direct. I ordered on Friday and watch arrived today, Tuesday. Beautiful watch though and hoping the timing stabilizes a bit. I'm newish to the automatic watch world and not sure what's acceptable or not for time keeping.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

#58 ·
Received my Combat 6 Classic today from Glycine Direct. While I was less than thrilled with the way the watch arrived when I opened the box, it appears to be damage free. The watch does seem to running a bit quick, but can't say exactly how much yet since I just received it. But I'm worried it'll be +10-15 seconds per day.
I've only heard great things about Glycine Direct. I ordered on Friday and watch arrived today, Tuesday. Beautiful watch though and hoping the timing stabilizes a bit. I'm newish to the automatic watch world and not sure what's acceptable or not for time keeping.

View attachment 13730179

View attachment 13730181
How do you like the quality of the bracelet??

T

#64 ·
This is Jan 9th. I just bought my Glycine Bronze Airman at Glycine-Direct and it was a very easy process and i am very happy. Not one bad thing happened. It was less expensive than any other seller.Communication, delivery and tracking were all trouble free . Highly recommended. I have had many other Glycines and this was , by far, the easiest transaction. Evine was a nightmare in my opinion. and $100. more. Communication was okay but they had incorrect specs on the watch, Listed as SS with Bronze "Tone." I just felt they knew nothing of the product or the features. Glycine -Direct knows Glycine watches.

Attachments

#65 ·
Super annoying the price changes on there. I was planning on buying the glycine combat sub after seeing it was 360 on there yesterday. In the Airman Double 12 was 380 something. Today the price on the sub is 549 and the Airman double-twelve is 789. I don't understand how price can change like that in one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.