What happened to Glycine?
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: What happened to Glycine?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Banned

What happened to Glycine?

Over the years I have owned several glycine watches. Among them an Incursore and a Combat Sub. I ultimately flipped both. Nevertheless, I have always liked the brand, and I have defended it against recent attacks made simply because Glycine was recently acquired by Invicta. Having said that, one would be a fool not to notice that Glycine watches that once sold for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars, are now on the bargain list on eBay and Costco. What has really happened to cause the unprecedented price drop of Glycine watches? Although the Invicta acquisition seems much talked about on watch forums, I don't fail to recognize that the number of people on these forums pales in comparison to the real watch buying public who do not even know these forums exist. So, what really happened to Glycine? Why is a Combat Sub that a few years ago sold for about 1K USD now selling for $250 at a big box warehouse store? What's the Scoop?

Banned

Re: What happened to Glycine?

I read that thread. Not a single relevant answer. No help. Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Justsumguy View Post
    I read that thread. Not a single relevant answer. No help. Thanks.
    I agree that the speculation and misinformation in these threads is pretty useless. I'll give some anyway. My understanding of the situation is:

* Glycine decided to sell for all of the reasons that aging, shrinking companies sell.
    * Invicta wants to play in the $500-$1000 market segment and compete with swatch/hamilton
    * Invicta helps glycine with marketing strategy, pricing, general corporate strategy. This includes viral and agressive pricing strategies in the US and rebranding to reach a younger audience.
    * Invicta offers cheaper bulk parts purchasing and manufacturing to achieve the right price point

Who knows what phase 2 of the strategy is? I think they will try to stabilize prices a bit higher than they are at the moment, but they really want to increase volume.

Quote Originally Posted by hedd View Post
    I agree that the speculation and misinformation in these threads is pretty useless. I'll give some anyway. My understanding of the situation is:

* Glycine decided to sell for all of the reasons that aging, shrinking companies sell.
    * Invicta wants to play in the $500-$1000 market segment and compete with swatch/hamilton
    * Invicta helps glycine with marketing strategy, pricing, general corporate strategy. This includes viral and agressive pricing strategies in the US and rebranding to reach a younger audience.
    * Invicta offers cheaper bulk parts purchasing and manufacturing to achieve the right price point

Who knows what phase 2 of the strategy is? I think they will try to stabilize prices a bit higher than they are at the moment, but they really want to increase volume.
    While none of us will know for sure since we are not in the know and can only speculate, I think this is very likely an accurate summary of the reasons.
    serge70 and cuthbert like this.

I'm sure that they were really getting squeezed out of business due to lots of factors including pricing & brand awareness & Invicta turned up with a nice bag full of cash.

I cannot add anything other than the Airman I recently purchased because of the new prices will make a great travel watch. I have the 44mm. It is much Easier to read than the Citizen Nighthawk I have been using., is thinner than my Omega co-axial GMT and at the new prices you don't feel worried about going to some places with it. I have purchased a shark mesh band to wear in the hotter climes.

Quote Originally Posted by hedd View Post

Rec, +1.

Right now, Glycine values volume over selling less watches at a higher price. It's the reason prices haven't increased since 2 years ago AND they're using cheaper parts (Sellita).

Hopefully, things work out.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

The SCOOP is.....the prices were too high.

If the product doesn’t sell, the price is too high. Glycine-Direct is a good seller at a fair price.

Think the low prices are fantastic and in line with the actual value of the watches. Never had a Glycine until recently and now have several now that they are affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    The SCOOP is.....the prices were too high.

If the product doesn’t sell, the price is too high. Glycine-Direct is a good seller at a fair price.

Think the low prices are fantastic and in line with the actual value of the watches. Never had a Glycine until recently and now have several now that they are affordable.
    Yes,this.
    yankeexpress and NM156 like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast