WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

$1500 Watch Recommendations

3K views 39 replies 27 participants last post by  jcombs1 
#1 ·
I would like to get some suggestions of watches withing the $1500 price tag, but without getting outside of it. That's my maximum budget. I would like to use the watch as a dress/ formal watch, and I would prefer it to be an automatic/mechanical ( but I won't dismiss any quartz suggestions either, IF it's really worth the money ). Preferably with a white/silver/champagne dial, I'm not into dark colored dials.

#3 ·
I have a hard time with formal watches at this price point, at least VERY formal watches. To me, most super formal watches at this price point seem very similar - though I'm sure someone in the thread will blow me away with a great recommendation.

My dressiest watch in this range is a Monta Triumph. I suppose it would be very nice on a leather strap and could handle most dressy situations. But some would disqualify it because it has Arabic numerals. I guess you have to decide how formal you want it.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Seiko Sarb 035 is a possibility. Longines has many watches that would fit your requirements, Christopher Ward Malvern, Seiko Presage, Hamilton Intra-Matic, and Timex Marlin are a few more. Size, and likes or dislikes will help narrow suggestions down a bit. Let us know what you decide on.

#5 ·
hmm that's still a bit broad. I know you said dressy but as it's used today, not sure you meant a traditional dress watch, so can you provide any more criteria?
1) Just indices or numerals? (if numerals, roman, arabic, other?)
2) Date/no date?
3) Lume/no lume?
4) size? <40mm? >40mm
5) metal: SS, Gold plated?
6) hand shape preference at all?
7) dial texture? sunburst, matte, other?

Reactions: tsbphd
#6 ·
Ooh, okay, yeah, I might have forgotten a few details :)) My bad.

1. I don't mind either, I've seen some watches that look amazing with only indices, and also some that pull off numerals. For the record, though, I prefer roman numerals, but again, no preference on indices vs numerals.

2. Preferably with a date function, not a big deal if it doesn't have one.

3. Depending on how the lume is handled, it can look out of place in a dress watch, imo, so I'd rather have no lume. But watches like the Oris Artelier Date pull it off though.

4. My wrists are 6.7 inches ( 170mm ) and I find watches between 36 and 40-41 at most to fit my wrists perfectly. Sweetspot would be a 38 to 39.

5. This is a tough one, because I'm not sure which one I prefer. Gold plated watches can look good, but it depends on the watch, and I also am not sure which one would fit my style. But I won't mind either recommendation, especially if the other variant is available as well.

6. I would say I'll have any hand shape except for maybe batons. But as long as it's not too minimalistic or Bauhaus style, I probably won't mind that either.

7. My favorite dial texture would be guillache, but it again depends on how the watch pulls it off. I won't mind the rest either, but that's my favorite.

I was looking at the Oris Artelier Date in this price rance, and maybe the Mido Baroncelli Chronometer. Here's the Oris:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Black

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory

#7 ·
I’ll add to the recommendations of the Seiko SARB 35 or the presage series. Christopher Ward, too. I’d also add Nomos, which has some options in this price range as well. But as others have pointed out, there are options, but depends on your preferences.

#9 ·
The Oris is very nice, one of my favorites - but it is 42mm and may look a little large. I like the Mido you're thinking about as well and it's 40mm x 9.4mm so I think it would wear better. I also like the Presage Cocktail Time suggestion. Also 40mm but a little thicker than the Mido - but cheaper.

Pics to help (from the interweb):

MIDO:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

Seiko:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#16 ·
Get one of the Seiko SARX series. The 033 or the 055. Both are under $1000 new and you can get the Sarx033 in the $450-$550 range used.

A forum member here sold me the Sarx033 for a good price and it's great. It can do everything from casual to formal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I'd check out the offerings from the good people at Longines. They dominate this price segment. The conquest and conquest heritage lines (and flagship heritage) are excellent and all in your price range. They usually sell around 40% off depending on your online retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Plenty of solid suggestions. In the interest of covering everything, I'm gonna toss a few odd-ballers into the mix.

Jomashop has some really enticing prices right now on Armand Nicolet. I've been eying these myself, and if I had any spare change in the piggy bank I'd probably grab an L11 (rectangular one). Anyway, maybe not what you're looking for....but ya' never know:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Rectangle Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Product
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Then there's the Aevig Thor. Yeah, it's a bit sporty for a dress watch...but man, the linen dial version just tickles my nuts. I hate lookin' at these when Piggy is tapped out:

#27 ·
Mercer Madison.

• Romans
  • NOS hand-wind movement
  • Sub seconds
  • Enamel Dial
  • Blued hands

All for well under your budget.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#28 · (Edited)
I second the Intra-matic 38 wholeheartedly. I is painfully pretty with killer sunburst, insane readability with the simple stick hands, it's really a strap monster and it goes well all kinds of straps. My wife just bought me a light chocolate gator strap and I have to keep myself from licking it. I plan on getting a blue and duckling yellow suede straps for it too. And it runs well within cosc, and the finishing is sublime, and it's under 550 in jomashop or around 650euro in the EU.
For roman numerals - stowa marine manual wind. If you choose that please send pictures, because I have been looking at it fits some time 🙂

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.