$1500 Watch Recommendations
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: $1500 Watch Recommendations

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

$1500 Watch Recommendations

I would like to get some suggestions of watches withing the $1500 price tag, but without getting outside of it. That's my maximum budget. I would like to use the watch as a dress/ formal watch, and I would prefer it to be an automatic/mechanical ( but I won't dismiss any quartz suggestions either, IF it's really worth the money ). Preferably with a white/silver/champagne dial, I'm not into dark colored dials.

Re: $1500 Watch Recommendations

What have you seen that you have liked so far?

I have a hard time with formal watches at this price point, at least VERY formal watches. To me, most super formal watches at this price point seem very similar - though I'm sure someone in the thread will blow me away with a great recommendation.

My dressiest watch in this range is a Monta Triumph. I suppose it would be very nice on a leather strap and could handle most dressy situations. But some would disqualify it because it has Arabic numerals. I guess you have to decide how formal you want it.

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seiko Sarb 035 is a possibility. Longines has many watches that would fit your requirements, Christopher Ward Malvern, Seiko Presage, Hamilton Intra-Matic, and Timex Marlin are a few more. Size, and likes or dislikes will help narrow suggestions down a bit. Let us know what you decide on.

hmm that's still a bit broad. I know you said dressy but as it's used today, not sure you meant a traditional dress watch, so can you provide any more criteria?
    1) Just indices or numerals? (if numerals, roman, arabic, other?)
    2) Date/no date?
    3) Lume/no lume?
    4) size? <40mm? >40mm
    5) metal: SS, Gold plated?
    6) hand shape preference at all?
    7) dial texture? sunburst, matte, other?
    tsbphd likes this.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

Ooh, okay, yeah, I might have forgotten a few details :)) My bad.

1. I don't mind either, I've seen some watches that look amazing with only indices, and also some that pull off numerals. For the record, though, I prefer roman numerals, but again, no preference on indices vs numerals.

2. Preferably with a date function, not a big deal if it doesn't have one.

3. Depending on how the lume is handled, it can look out of place in a dress watch, imo, so I'd rather have no lume. But watches like the Oris Artelier Date pull it off though.

4. My wrists are 6.7 inches ( 170mm ) and I find watches between 36 and 40-41 at most to fit my wrists perfectly. Sweetspot would be a 38 to 39.

5. This is a tough one, because I'm not sure which one I prefer. Gold plated watches can look good, but it depends on the watch, and I also am not sure which one would fit my style. But I won't mind either recommendation, especially if the other variant is available as well.

6. I would say I'll have any hand shape except for maybe batons. But as long as it's not too minimalistic or Bauhaus style, I probably won't mind that either.

7. My favorite dial texture would be guillache, but it again depends on how the watch pulls it off. I won't mind the rest either, but that's my favorite.

I was looking at the Oris Artelier Date in this price rance, and maybe the Mido Baroncelli Chronometer. Here's the Oris:

Name:  9424659b_xxl_v1555548168086.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  9424659d_xxl_v1555548169482.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  85.2 KB

I’ll add to the recommendations of the Seiko SARB 35 or the presage series. Christopher Ward, too. I’d also add Nomos, which has some options in this price range as well. But as others have pointed out, there are options, but depends on your preferences.

Oh, and, preferably not Japanese. Swiss or German made. Or American

The Oris is very nice, one of my favorites - but it is 42mm and may look a little large. I like the Mido you're thinking about as well and it's 40mm x 9.4mm so I think it would wear better. I also like the Presage Cocktail Time suggestion. Also 40mm but a little thicker than the Mido - but cheaper.

Pics to help (from the interweb):

MIDO:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 4.48.47 PM.png
Views: 75
Size:  759.6 KB

Seiko:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 4.53.35 PM.png
Views: 76
Size:  1.39 MB

The Oris is 40mm as well: https://www.oris.ch/en/watch/oris-ar...1-07-5-21-64fc

Yep, that's the Mido I was looking at. Pretty nice, but something about the Oris makes it stand higher than the Mido.

I'm not a fan of Seiko, really. I've looked at their line of watches and they aren't my cup of tea. Not even the Presage

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information