$5,000 (up to) for Second Watch
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: $5,000 (up to) for Second Watch

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

$5,000 (up to) for Second Watch

After the initial phases of collecting/swapping/trading, I realised that don't really need a lot of watches, but just a few good ones.

Currently, I have a IWC Aquatimer 2000 on rubber (IW3568-10). This is my daily wearer. The rubber strap makes it very versatile and comfortable, while the 2000m water resistance should just be enough for washing hands and doing dishes .

Understandably, the Aquatimer isn't very suitable for occasions where a dressier or low-key watch is required. Thus, I'm looking for a second watch to complete my 2-watch collection. This watch will not be worn often, and the idea to go for is refined and elegant.

I'm looking for the infinite wisdom of WUS for help. Here's my requirements:

Budget: US$5,000 (But I can look at those at $5,500 because most are willing to bargain)
    Movement: Handwind or automatic (maybe handwind is more suitable if the watch is only worn occasionally?)
    Material: No gold. Both leather/metal bracelet is ok.
    Complication: Usually I insist on at least a date complication, but as this watch will only be worn occasionally, I think date-less is actually fine. Maybe it's more preferred, as whenever I need to wear it, I won't have to adjust the date. Chrono is ok, but not required.
    Size: The Aquatimer is 44mm, which I find ok for a daily wearer, and it fits the image. But for this watch, I'm looking for something between 38 - 42 mm.

Here's some examples that I've been looking at (pictures have been taken from their sales pages), and maybe this gives you an idea of the type of watch I'm looking for:

Name:  Portofino (2 of 7).jpg
Views: 428
Size:  391.7 KB
    Name:  IWC Portuguese.jpg
Size:  642.8 KB
    Name:  GO Senator.jpg
Size:  577.9 KB
    Name:  GO.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  279.0 KB
    Name:  Tudor Heritage .JPG
Views: 425
Size:  149.9 KB
    Name:  SBGJ003-L.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  163.2 KB

Thank you all for your help!
    Last edited by zephyrus17; July 25th, 2015 at 17:15.
    socrates35 likes this.

Re: $5,000 (up to) for Second Watch

JLC reverso.

Why reject date when you can get Big Date and pilot chrono with the famous El Primero movement?
    Attached Images Attached Images

sebastian.ioan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not outright rejecting the date function, of course if the whole package is good, then the date function is fine. I'm just saying that without a date function, setting the date will be a hassle, since I don't wear it often.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post
    I'm not outright rejecting the date function, of course if the whole package is good, then the date function is fine. I'm just saying that without a date function, setting the date will be a hassle, since I don't wear it often.
    The answer: Winder.

That's a good point. I didn't consider that.

@ Gunnar, I am also considering the Reverso, but not sure about rectangular cases. Maybe I'll see if I can try one on before I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrus17 View Post
    After the initial phases of collecting/swapping/trading, I realised that don't really need a lot of watches, but just a few good ones.

Currently, I have a IWC Aquatimer 2000 on rubber (IW3568-10). This is my daily wearer. The rubber strap makes it very versatile and comfortable, while the 2000m water resistance should just be enough for washing hands and doing dishes .

Understandably, the Aquatimer isn't very suitable for occasions where a dressier or low-key watch is required. Thus, I'm looking for a second watch to complete my 2-watch collection. This watch will not be worn often, and the idea to go for is refined and elegant.

I'm looking for the infinite wisdom of WUS for help. Here's my requirements:

Budget: US$5,000 (But I can look at those at $5,500 because most are willing to bargain)
    Movement: Handwind or automatic (maybe handwind is more suitable if the watch is only worn occasionally?)
    Material: No gold. Both leather/metal bracelet is ok.
    Complication: Usually I insist on at least a date complication, but as this watch will only be worn occasionally, I think date-less is actually fine. Maybe it's more preferred, as whenever I need to wear it, I won't have to adjust the date. Chrono is ok, but not required.
    Size: The Aquatimer is 44mm, which I find ok for a daily wearer, and it fits the image. But for this watch, I'm looking for something between 38 - 42 mm.

Here's some examples that I've been looking at, and maybe this gives you an idea of the type of watch I'm looking for:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...d-2118338.html
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...n-2107010.html
    FS: Glashutte Original Senator Power Reserve Moon - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/fs-...m-1925834.html
    TimeZone : Sales Corner » FS: BIG DROP - D.Dornblth & Sohn REF.CAL. 99.1 - $3125 OBO
    FS: IWC 3714-46 Portuguese chronograph. - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/pre-...5-42-04.27434/
    Seiko クž—ン„žセイコー Grand Seiko Mechanical HI-BEAT36000 for AU$.5,732 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Thank you all for your help!
    I have a black dial version of the Portofino and I think it is great and very elegant watch for the price (and others seem to like it too). However, I'd also be quite tempted by that GO you listed if I were in your shoes.
    Patek Philippe 5711/1A, white dial;
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe steel on sail cloth;
    IWC Portofino Automatic, black dial;
    Seiko A159 5009G (originally my father's, from 1978);
    Apple Watch 4
    Casio G Shock GW 5610NV-2JF

NOMOS Tangomat GMT
    Attached Images Attached Images

chuasam likes this.

(Okay I may not follow exact same as your description)

This is 1944 Universal Geneva Tri compax. This is what I own, ( slightly different design) This is the most underrated watch but listed as 10 top swiss make.

http://www.chrono24.com/au/universal...arch/index.htm

They come all many different design and colour that you may want to check.
    Last edited by UnknownSekonda; July 25th, 2015 at 16:05.
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Simey View Post
    I have a black dial version of the Portofino and I think it is great and very elegant watch for the price (and others seem to like it too). However, I'd also be quite tempted by that GO you listed if I were in your shoes.
    How do you think the Portofino compares to the Portuguese chrono that I linked too as well?

I linked 2 GO watches, can I confirm which you are referring too?

https://omegaforums.net/threads/pre-...5-42-04.27434/

FS: Glashutte Original Senator Power Reserve Moon - Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum

Quote Originally Posted by WatchNRolla View Post
    NOMOS Tangomat GMT
    I did consider this watch, and the whole Nomos collection. I really love them, but I've always found their watches tending to be more 'fun' and 'hipster-ish' than dressy, unless I consider the Lambda.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSekonda View Post

This is 1944 Universal Geneva Tri compax. This is what I own, ( slightly different design) This is the most underrated watch but listed as 10 top swiss make.

http://www.chrono24.com/au/universal...arch/index.htm

They come all many different design and colour that you may want to check.
    Thanks, I'll definitely have a closer look. I saw one on Watchrecon, but didn't think too much about it. Do you have any links for more information regarding this maker or watch?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information