$800 to spend. Paralysis by analysis. Help!
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: $800 to spend. Paralysis by analysis. Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

$800 to spend. Paralysis by analysis. Help!

Hey all. I recently sold my Tudor Small Rose. It was a real shame because I loved it, but the questionable health impacts of radium lume forced my hand. I now have $800 to spend. I'm now at a loss for where to go from here. It's not for lack of research. If anything, I've done so much that I'm in a paralysis by analysis type of scenario. I'm digging the vintage stuff lately, but not opposed to a solid new-ish model. I have a C Ward in the classifieds that I've really enjoyed, and while it punches well above it's weight in terms of quality by anyone's measure, I just don't find myself reaching for it.

Another caveat to this is that my watch fund accumulates very slowly( 3 little kids will do that). So it'll take me a looooong time to go substantially beyond that. For the same reason, I want to focus on models with reasonable resale. It would suck to get something obscure, decide to move it, take a big hit, and then take months to build that back up.

Tudor Prince Oysterdate with a fluted bezel is a one I have my eye on, but it's not in the budget. Innumerable Vintage Seamasters are out there. So much so that it makes my head spin. Always liked the 39 jewel variety of the GP Gyromatic, but it seems like the reasonably priced ones are beat to hell or they're solid gold and out of my price range. Once I sell the C Ward, that would put me not super far off from a pre-owned BB36. However, I HATE that there is no AR on it. Couple that with second hand blue variants are fairly rare, and I don't know if that's the solution.

Here's my wheelhouse:
    -Between 34 and 40mm. 35/36 is the sweet spot
    -Applied indices
    -Textured dial preferred, especially linen
    -No dainty lugs. It seems that's the secret of how a 34mm Rolex can still have so much wrist presence.
    -Doesn't have to be serviced, but keeping good time with history preferred
    -All original. No redials. Little to no case polishing
    -No radium lume
    -No cushion cases

Why do I need to buy soon? Well, it's fresh in the mind of the Mrs. that those funds are to be flipped. However, given enough time, the inevitable point will come up " is it really wise to spend $800 on a watch?"

Other than saving up for the Tudor, sorting through the mind numbing variants of Seamasters, or finding the right Gyromatic; any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help WUS!

-Drew

PS, if someone has something that they think might work, drop me a PM.

Re: $800 to spend. Paralysis by analysis. Help!

Risk the ire of your SO and hold your fire. It’s never wise to force a watch purchase. Sooner or later (probably sooner) something will come along that really calls out to you.
    Nokie and imaCoolRobot like this.

Totally agree.

Making an impulse purchase usually leads to the watch being flipped down the road.

Take you time and wait until you find something that really speaks to you.

No hurry. Many fish in the sea.
    tagdial8 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How close are you to Nuclear power plants?.... Just get a wrist sundial and put the money into a education fund for your children. Put your research into a good school. Do you have Radon monitors in your house. Nevermind the watch, just get a second job to rid yourself of spare time.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    How close are you to Nuclear power plants?.... Just get a wrist sundial and put the money into a education fund for your children. Put your research into a good school. Do you have Radon monitors in your house. Nevermind the watch, just get a second job to rid yourself of spare time.

My kids are my second job. Fwiw it's a little unnerving to wave a Geiger counter over a watch and have it go ballistic. There's simply too much cancer that runs in my family to poke that bear. Call me crazy if you want I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by T268 View Post
    My kids are my second job. Fwiw it's a little unnerving to wave a Geiger counter over a watch and have it go ballistic. There's simply too much cancer that runs in my family to poke that bear. Call me crazy if you want I suppose.
    Sorry, not calling you crazy. I just thought a little bit over reactive, concerning the health issues, the radium was being ingested by certain people painting the dials. As to the Radon gas being given off, I was just wondering if you had a Radon monitor/alarm/detectors in your home, as the gas can come from igneous Rock and soil. As far as cancer is concerned it also runs in my family both my mother, & younger brother taken by it, and myself, had/have it. So I apologize for offending you.

I would save for the piece you really want.

BB36, the reviews I have read mentioned the lack of AR didn't bother any of the reviewers

As above, just hold off. From what you’ve written it you’re not exactly sold on anything and just feels like you’re buying a watch, just because! Classic reason for making a mistake!

If you must have a watch get so,etching really cheap and save the rest. Personally I’d just save your money till you find something
    Dan T. likes this.
    Brother of OoO

Don't do it, man. The dumbest thing you can do is fall in love with something you have never seen.

Put that $800 into a money market fund or something. Sure, the rates are low, but at least it will be set aside in a separate place where you 'see' it. Then, when you finally get ready, you're in a good place (or even better).
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information