*SHOCK-PROOF* Sports+Active LifeStyle and YOUR AUTOMATICS

Thread: *SHOCK-PROOF* Sports+Active LifeStyle and YOUR AUTOMATICS

North-By-Nortwest of El Capitan, Yosemite, California

Picture *SHOCK-PROOF* Sports+Active LifeStyle and YOUR AUTOMATICS

ACTIVE LIFESTYLE??? Golf, Tennis, RacquetBall, Fencing, La-Crosse, NYC/Boston Marathon, Rock Climbing, Bay-To-Breakers, Zumba, etc.

You're wearing your favorite watch....it's got a 2824-2 powerplant, 300m. WR rating, Sapphire Crystal...you lunge forward going for the ball and slip and hit the ground hard....the sapphire withstands the impact...the sweeping hand skips, jumps...then, the watch stops.

I'm one of the guilty parties....oftentimes, I overlook the shock-resistance feature, esp. when buying a mechanical/automatic watch. Presumably most mid-to-high end automatics have some sort of shock proof system like the INCABLOC or PANASHOCK. With the exception of Casio G-Shocks and other sportswatches, I'm guessing that most other lower-end or entry level watches will not have the "Shock-Resistance".

Is this a feature that is often overlooked......or we forget to include it on our checklist b/c most of us are too absorbed with features like ==> type of movement Swiss ETA 2824/Miyota 8215/Vostok 2416, etc, water resistance ISO rating, sapphire crystal, SS case design, among others.

Your thoughts?

================================================== ===================
    "How Shock-Proof System Works" -- Acknowledgment: From Richard Paige Open Forum 2/8/98 TimeZone
    ================================================== ==================

Wristwatches by nature of their position on the arm, have always been problematic for damage. I'm sure most of you at one time or another have dropped or banged your watch into a desk, door, wall, etc.
    By the 1930's the Swiss watch industry was coping with the demands of a growing audience for more "sport style" watches...those that could take more of a stressful existence. The result was several "shock" absorbing systems.
    The most sensitive part of the watch is the balance assembly, this was where the innovators needed to look to solve the problem. As the watch took a shock..the balance wheel pivot had a tendency to "bounce" in the opposite direction of the impact...this sent the pivot up into the jewel and the cap jewel...often times cracking the jewel or actually breaking off the tip of the balance pivot...rendering the watch useless for timekeeping.
    With the advent of the "shock-proof system"...the impact was absorbed. This was accomplished by placing a metal spring system over the balance jewels..this allowed the pivot and jewel to rise away from the balance plate thus absorbing the shock, and then to return back down to it's original position.
    In the picture, the jewel is in red, the cap jewel in pink...the pivot is in green, and the "incabloc" shock absorber is in yellow.

Re: *SHOCK-PROOF* Sports+Active LifeStyle and YOUR AUTOMATICS

I'm not sure what I think. The italics and trillion dashes overloaded my simple mind. At least it didn't have @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@.... Not trying to be unkind but MAN is it distracting.

Anyway, for when I'll be hurting a watch I wear either my zilla or g shock. Just much much easier to not be worrying.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Banned

With the invention of the shock resistant watch, we have been doing all that you mention.

Do not worry, they can take it!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wear an auto while I do yard work and pretty much all my projects/chores around the house. No performance problems.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

North-By-Nortwest of El Capitan, Yosemite, California

Quote Originally Posted by mike120 View Post
    I'm not sure what I think. The italics and trillion dashes overloaded my simple mind. At least it didn't have @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@.... Not trying to be unkind but MAN is it distracting.

Anyway, for when I'll be hurting a watch I wear either my zilla or g shock. Just much much easier to not be worrying.
    Hahaha, duly noted, Sir Mike.
    Forgive me, I'll refrain from using graphics or what not; I've been diagnosed with nervous typing fingers and A.D.D. and I promise to take my Ritalin.

But I like the idea of buying me a G-Shock for my sporting activity. What prompted me with this post is that one of my weekend watches stopped (I should have known better) after a friendly pick-up game of basketball with my nephews during the Christmas holidays. It looked like a game of rugby there for awhile and everyone was having a field day gaurding and swatting my shooting arm. Consequently, my 12 year weekend beater has been retired and now, I have a good reason to replace it...incabloc or no incabloc.

For "Shock-Therapy", I've been eyeing this one for quite some time...

Vostok Amphibia would be my choice:

1) It's an automatic and something a bit different
    2) They are build like a tank with anti-magnetic casings (designed as soviet-era military watches to function accurately after a nuclear blast!)
    3) Clever shock-proof sprung bearings
    4) If the worse happens they are inexpensive and easy to replace

Name:  P1070439.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  990.9 KB

But if money were no object...a Tutima Military TL - the last surviving application of Lemania's bomb-proof 5100 movement.
    "An extravagance is anything you buy that has no earthly use to your wife".

Quote Originally Posted by D1JBS View Post
    Vostok Amphibia would be my choice:

1) It's an automatic and something a bit different
    2) They are build like a tank with anti-magnetic casings (designed as soviet-era military watches to function accurately after a nuclear blast!)
    3) Clever shock-proof sprung bearings
    4) If the worse happens they are inexpensive and easy to replace

Name:  P1070439.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  990.9 KB

But if money were no object...a Tutima Military TL - the last surviving application of Lemania's bomb-proof 5100 movement.
    I really really like that Amphibia.

I'm very happy with the Ball Hydrocarbon series, especially on the rubber strap. Tough as nails. The new model even lets you lock the rotor before heavy activity.
    Mechanical Collection:
    A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1
    Glashutte Original Senator Moonphase
    Jeager-LeCoultre Master Hometime
    Rolex Datejust II
    Rolex Sub-C
    Omega DeVille Coaxial Chronoscope
    Ball Hydrocarbon Trieste
    Fortis IQ
    Digital Collection:
    Cathode Corner Nixie Watch
    Bulova Precisionist Claremont
    Frank Gehry Positive/Negative Watch
    Casio Calculator Watch
    Oceanus 5 Motor OCW600TDA-1AV
    Casio Pathfinder PAW-1500
    Casio G-Schock Solar Atomic Rescue
    Citizen Dive Watch
    Nixon Newton
    Nixon Graduate
    WeWood Date Beige

I guess I have always been a bit rough on my watches, since 35 years ago when I bought my first Swiss ETA automatic. These days I prefer the cheapo mechanicals because I don't want to worry about how much fun I'm having. I'm a musician, and I hit things sometimes for artistic purposes. When in doubt for roughness I go quartz (solar since I don't like to change batteries.) I love to wear a watch, but I'll take it off when I think it'll get messy - or I just wear something I don't care too much about.

Thread Information