[AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy - Page 3
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

To answer the OP - the problem is that buying anything other than a fairly well constructed $100 Japanese quartz is unnecessary.

Want better? Add onto that quartz EcoDrive/Solar and multiband 5/6 and now mechanicals look even more stupid. But they are beautiful and money is relative in most cases.

People are spending money that could literally be used to save human lives on watches that aren't as good as the above mentioned. That's just a fact, not my opinion and I'm not taking a shot at anyone with expensive watches.

Re: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Luskar View Post
    You seem to think that a perpetual calendar is a simple thing? But even quartz don't always has this feature.

To adjust a perpetual calendar, you need to display the month, the year and the leap year.
    I don't think it is much more complicated than the Chronograph function.

Are you a massive quartz fan then OP? If so then great. If not then clearly you don't like any watches so go elsewhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Veole View Post
    I think Rolex uses "perpetual" meaning "self winding". They once made a watch with perpetual calendar, the 6062 Perpetual Calendar Moonphase. Is there any current model with perpetual calendar? What about Omega?
    I'm not aware of a mechanical or quartz watch with a truly perpetual calendar that handles differences in days per month, leap years divisible by 4 and years like 2100 that are exceptions to the leap year divisible by 4 rule. There are of course numerous watches with semi-perpetual calendars that meet the first two tests.

Yes I believe in a bit advertising excess Rolex did describe their rotor wound watches as perpetual.

Mechanical watches were always about timekeeping. Automatic winding was once an innovation that few watches had and now it has become the norm, because it was convenient Old features like perpetual calendar, and long power reserves are not different from winding mechanisms. It does not make any sense to deny it's implementation in current watches, if you really like classic watches, then you should not get any automatic, for the same reasons you don't even consider convenient adding the other basic features.
    I think you misunderstand me a bit. I didn't say 'were never about timekeeping'. I said 'are not about timekeeping'. The implication was 'not anymore'.
    Last edited by akasnowmaaan; October 4th, 2012 at 23:12.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Mechanical watches were always about timekeeping.
    Mechanical watches haven't been about timekeeping in 40 years. These days, when everyone carries a mobile phone that keeps time synched to the second with hyper-accurate servers, I'm not even sure any watches are about timekeeping.

generally, people like mechanical watches because it's enormously cool how a spring and a bunch of teen-tiny metal cogs can tell time. Or, because they like jewelry. But not because they're actually looking for a way to tell time.
    Scottish Steve and ManMachine like this.

I think Rolex uses "perpetual" meaning "self winding". They once made a watch with perpetual calendar, the 6062 Perpetual Calendar Moonphase. Is there any current model with perpetual calendar? What about Omega?
    No, the new Rolex Skydweller has an annual calendar. It's different than a perpetual in that you must adjust the date in February, but otherwise, it's pretty close to what you want. Omega makes an Aqua Terra and Deville with an annual calendar.

I don't think it is much more complicated than the Chronograph function.
    Well, I didn't particularly want to address the nitty gritty of the issue, but here is why perpetual calenders have never caught on in mechanicals and why they probably never will.

First, perpetual calendars generally significantly increase the thickness of a watch.

Second, perpetual calenders generally require subdials for day, date, month and year (or leap year), and a lot of people don't want that visual clutter.

As compared to:

The final, and most important reason that perpetual calendars never caught on in mechanicals is that watches with short power reserves, which virtually all mechanical watches do have, it can become a pain to set all of those subdials again. Let it die a few days, not a big deal, just advance the date three days and then the day three days. Go on vacation and leave it home? Well now you're setting the month too. Is that a huge hassle? Not really, but what it actually means is that having a perpetual calendar has INCREASED the work involved to wear the watch, not made it more convenient.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love that IWC perpetual calendar, in part due to its lengthy power reserve making it less of an issue. But those are the reasons why they are still not common. It's not the complexity.

I also want to dismiss this myth that watches get more and more expensive and offer the same or fewer features. In 1969, a quartz wristwatch would cost about $3000 USD. Now you can get a superior quartz watch for $200. The watch industry, overall, has become MUCH more feature rich and MUCH more affordable, not the other way. I can get a perpetual calendar Casio for $100. It has a three plus year power reserve. For a little more, I can get one that syncs with radio waves transmitted from a station tuned to an atomic clock. For about the same money I can get that watch solar powered and not worry about batteries for a decade or longer. I mean, it's simply factually false that the industry has moved upscale without enhancing what the consumer gets. You've never been able to get more for your money than today.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    You've never been able to get more for your money than today.
    I once opined here that we are now in Golden Age of Watches. I'm still trying to figure out what this guy wants and am rapidly losing interest.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information