[AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy - Page 7
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by erk78 View Post
    TV was a new invention at 1982's
    Yup, I fondly remember the old days back in 1980....the entire family, sitting around the radio in the living room...We had an Apple II, but couldn't actually play any games on it because you couldn't see anything. I remember thinking "if only someone invented a...moving picture box, this thing would be useful" I had to wait two more long years before I could finally play Zork...

(I am assuming that was a typo, but I couldn't resist ).

Back on target - I get where the OP is coming from, to an extent. When you can buy a $20 quartz that is accurate and reliable, you naturally question from time-to-time what your extra money is going towards.

But, like others have said, it is not really that simple. Especially when you consider it is a hobby, things like craftsmanship, mechanical complexity, style, nostalgia and even stuff as abstract as perception and popular opinion become things of interest - and therefore, things of value. Those things combine to make a watch more expensive, whether or not it is technically more accurate or featured as that $20 beater from the Walmart...
    Last edited by bootzilla; October 5th, 2012 at 11:55. Reason: my fingers hit the wrong keys!

Re: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

I think the OP is forgetting that the quartz crisis almost killed the mechanical watch industry and there was very little reason for advancements in mechanical movements up until around 20+years ago. As for Rolex they make improvements but don't really need to. Even as a little kid I always knew that a Rolex was an expensive watch and so did and still does most of the world. Unfortunately most people that buy a Rolex do it for all the wrong reasons and care nothing about the movement. If they did they might not go for a Rolex, then again they might what do I know.
    Longer power reserves are coming, look at the Cartier ID2 concept with its 32hr power reserve. It uses double fiberglass mainsprings which hold far more energy than metal. I can't see why fiberglass mainsprings won't start being used a lot more if they're so much better, might even be cheaper. As far as saying a perpetual calendar is no harder to make than a chronograph that's just plain crazy talk. The advancements and improvements are coming but a high quality automatic perpetual calendar will never be priced with entry level mechanicals because it makes no sense. Every mustang doesn't get a v8 because not everyone wants that. Plus the v8 just like the perpetual calendar has more parts and should and does cost more. If u can't appreciate the beauty of a mechanical watch movement no matter how accurate or efficient or complicated than you might be posting in the wrong place. Also the $500 mechanical watch can sometimes be just as if not more accurate than the $10000 mechanical watch because there's gonna be instances where they have the exact same movement. I hope this all makes sense I've rambled on for so long now I almost forgot what the thread was about, all I know is I disagree with everything the OP said.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    No, TV was not a new invention in 1982. It actually dates to the 1930s and became common in the early 1950s.
    Well probably depends a bit on where you live. Don't know where the poster is from but in Australia TV didn't begin until 1956, and wasn't common in most households for another 10 years. Perhaps in some countries it was much later still.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by Veole View Post
    ...Is there any point in purposely avoid to improve automatic watches in such basic functions? Would they be considered less automatic with a better power reserve, perpetual calendar and higher accuracy? Because I thought automatic does not equal to obsolete stuff sold at a expensive price, just a traditional way to do watches. And this traditional way always included progress too.... until now.
    Generally, once a technology becomes dated, progress in making it better ceases. Ever seen anyone designing a better 8-track tape player? Or, a new improved flintlock pistol?

The odd fact is that the mechanical watch industry is still making obsolete technilogy better...

The future of timekeeping is Chip Scale Atomics (CSA), and progess in that direction has already rendered quartz obsolete, nobody has plans for something to supplant the thermocompensated quartz. Yet the mechanical watch industry has developed silicon balance springs, and other improvements....

Most unusual.
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; October 5th, 2012 at 14:01.
    WnS, ken_sturrock and jbg7474 like this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Several have said it, but this all depends on how you measure "good" and "progress". And that depends magnificently on user expectations. There are many possible ways to measure "good" where most automatics will beat a quartz handily. For example, long-term reliability. A mechanical watch should be able to be maintained indefinitely. A watch with electronic components will likely be unable to be repaired at some point...
    They don't need to be repaired as there should always be a (hopefully better) replacement movement to use, which will (in most cases) cost less than a single service for a mechanical watch.

And what about running life of quartz movements?
    Will you have a chance to leave it to your grand son and thn maybe he will pass it to his own grand son? When quartz is dead.. it is dead!
    With respect, this is FUD. Quartz hasn't been around long enough to get a read on longevity. Many of us have 30+ year old quartz that works fine, and similar mechanicals that are dead as a doornail. It all comes down to proper maintenance and has nothing to do with genre.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Banned

I do not know what it is that kills a Quartz watch, but one factor is the battery. If left too long, they can leak and ruin the movement beyond repair.

The benefit wih a mechanicl movement is that all parts can be remanufactured when they are unavailable.

It goes without saying that if you want any watch to last you look after what needs to be done. That includes removing/changing dead batteries.
    You can get parts made if you have infinite resources I suppose. I know of some fine railroad grade watches that are difficult to get fixed because commercially available parts like a double roller pallet assembly cannot be found easily.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I enjoy the sweeping second hand, and I like the idea that my natural movement is powering the timekeeping, the whole thing feels more organic which is an impression I appreciate when looking down to check the time. That this is usually accompanied by attractive design, quality materials, and a comfortable well-made bracelet/strap contributes to the perception that it's worth the price.
    jbg7474 likes this.

One can get 190 proof liquor that'll do the job quite handily at $20/fifth, why would one get an aged bourbon that has less than half the alcohol at significantly higher cost?
    flathead59 and jbg7474 like this.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information