[AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy - Page 9
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Banned

Re: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

JLC make one model with a 1461 days mechanical memory for the calendar variations.
    It is called Master Grande Tradition Tourbillon A Quantieme Perpentuel

Re: [AUTOMATIC WATCHES] Expensive old tech: bad power reserve, no perpetual calendar, low accuracy

Liking mechanical watches may not be irrational, yes..., but paying the amount that some of us pay for them, maybe...
    definitely to non-WIS, especially to my wife.
    Owning the number of mechanical watches that I own, longing for another and spending the time that I spend on looking, reading, drooling, living the life of WIS...
    I think my wife thinks I am crazy... or... obsessed... nah. :)
    Last edited by pyiyha; October 7th, 2012 at 09:18.

It's about the beauty, not the function. Right now I have 3 clocks around me that no automatic or mechanical watch could ever compete with (phone, computer, tablet). It's nice to have the time on your wrist as it is easy and quick to check, and it's nice if it's accurate enough to not have to adjust it every couple of weeks. But those are side effects of wearing something aesthetically pleasing and a testament to human ingenuity.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Plus, the old movements could be taken apart and parts replaced. Todays cheap quartz movements are virtually made in one piece.
    Yes but the cheap quartz is comparable to the unserviceable pin levers made back in the 1950s and 60s. Made to be worn and thrown away when they fail.
    They still make serviceable and repairable quartz today and these pieces are a logical progression from the good quality electrics and to some extent Hummers that were sold in the 60s and 70s. There is more than one kind of quartz out there even now.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Hi,

I am not sure if I agree entirely here (as to the reason why perpetuals have not "caught on"). I still think the reason is mainly cost. Perpetuals, along with repeaters (to include grand and petie sonnerie as well, although these complications are not really repeaters, they are related), the rattrapante chronograph (regular chronographs are actually very complicated to make. It was only the advent of the Valjoux 7750 that made chornos so accessible. Many purists still do not "like" the 7750 because of the faults and lack of elegance in some respects but I digress..) and the tourbillon are all considered "high" complications. they are all very complicated to make and thus costly to produce and maintain. In fact, I believe if you combine any two of the above into one watch, that piece can be called a grand complication. They are very very difficult to make.

Cost is the only reason why I do not have a perpetual at the moment (although I should be next in line for the JLC master 8 day perpetual that comes into the London boutique!!! ). many of the newer perpetuals, including the IWC mentioned here have become far more user friendly and does not need to go back to the workshop for adjustment should the watch stop for too long. However, as with any hobby (pets included), I believe we are all aware of the time and effort (and cost) involved in keeping it..... so I do not find maintenance an issue. it is part and parcel of the hobby. And for anyone who can afford a five to six figure watch, the mainteneance fee should not be a problem.

KR,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Well, I didn't particularly want to address the nitty gritty of the issue, but here is why perpetual calenders have never caught on in mechanicals and why they probably never will.

First, perpetual calendars generally significantly increase the thickness of a watch.

Second, perpetual calenders generally require subdials for day, date, month and year (or leap year), and a lot of people don't want that visual clutter.

As compared to:

The final, and most important reason that perpetual calendars never caught on in mechanicals is that watches with short power reserves, which virtually all mechanical watches do have, it can become a pain to set all of those subdials again. Let it die a few days, not a big deal, just advance the date three days and then the day three days. Go on vacation and leave it home? Well now you're setting the month too. Is that a huge hassle? Not really, but what it actually means is that having a perpetual calendar has INCREASED the work involved to wear the watch, not made it more convenient.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love that IWC perpetual calendar, in part due to its lengthy power reserve making it less of an issue. But those are the reasons why they are still not common. It's not the complexity.

Not the main point but to the OP, there are perpetuals with manual wind (I prefer manuals to autos... but that is just me.) JLC master 8 day perpetual, Moser perpetual 1 for example.

KR,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Veole View Post
    CitizenM: That subdials implementation for the perpetual calendar is the original. It's not really necessary nowadays, unless you want that look.

Then, I don't really care about quartz, I care about automatic watches being not being improved. This is not about quartz vs mechanical, I don't understand why people assume that if you want any improvement you have to go to quartz, and that mechanical watches have to be artificially outdated to keep their essence. Again, if that is the case, why do people buy automatics? No perpetual calendar with manual winding...

In before lock.

Cant believe I missed this thread. Papi style~

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread Information