[UPDATE] A series of misfortune event (s) :-(.
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: [UPDATE] A series of misfortune event (s) :-(.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Off topic [UPDATE] A series of misfortune event (s) :-(.

Hey Guys Kinda a depressing thread but it is what it is. Recently, after selling most of my small collection (both Citizen's in my sig and another Frogman), I saved enough to buy a watch that I wanted from a year ago.....Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro. I picked it up from a fellow WuS'er right here and it came with all intact papers/box, etc. I was more than thrilled when I received the watch. Wore it straight for 2 weeks, even in the weekends. The Maestro also put a stop to me checking out other watches...that's how much I loved it. I decided to really turn the watch to my liking and sent it off to Jack (IWW) ...really great great guy to deal with. I was going to have him paint all the hands metallic blue. The work was simple enough and he had said that I should have the watch back in under 2 weeks. Good enough for me as I don't mind wearing my GShocks to work at all . I sent off the watch via USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. And I was STUPID ENOUGH NOT TO INSURE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I've flipped a lot of watches in the past (last 2 years) and had NEVER had any issues with USPS deliveries. When I checked the tracking on Wed (expected day of delivery), it still stated the package being dropped off at my local Post Office. I immediately called USPS and was told to wait till yesterday. No luck with tracking updates. I called back again today and they filed a "lost item" case. Got a call from my local Post Master this evening and the dreaded bad news . He said there's no scan out of the 4 sites in between the route from CA to PA which basically means the package got damaged during transit (no label) or simply lost. He had already checked with the Sacramento/LA drop off points and they couldn't find the package anywhere. As the package wasn't insured either, all he can do now is to issue an apology letter and a check of $6.75 to cover postage. I'm basically out by $793.25 . Though he did say in case of pure luck, the package may show up in couple of weeks (provided the shipping label wasn't torn, etc) but that again, is a stretch. I'm totally saddened by this incident. It's like getting the funds ready for almost 6 months, drooling over the pics and then finally having it in hand for 2 weeks and then the watch goes RIP. Even if I had dropped or broken the watch myself, I wouldn't feel that bad VS losing it in transit with the postal service. With X-mas around the corner, my budget is already tied with gifts for my wife/toddlers and to be honest, I don't see myself getting another Hamilton at least for the next 6-8 months . Funny that prior to me sending off the watch, my wife was already complaining to me that there was "nothing wrong with the watch as it is" but the WuS factor inside of me created the image of my perfect Hamilton with blue hands and alas, I paid a heavy price for it. For now, I might get a white dial Orient or something (might sell my G9300 Mudman for it). I still cannot believe this. Took me almost 6 months to save up for a Hamilton and in just a short time, I'm back to where I started my hobby from (with GShocks). The point of this thread (and I'm probably preaching to the choir)......INSURE YOUR WATCHES during shipments (if they are worth $200+). It's like one of those bad habits that we have but we never think about it till something bad happens and then we 'wake up'. I also can't talk about this to my wife yet (she'll kill me first and then ask questions over my dead body) so trying to let some of my frustration out here. My beloved Maestro....you'll be sadly missed ....A LOT: (my own pic..on a 24mm Di Model Pilot strap): Sorry for the long read, guys. -Sandeep
    Last edited by SSingh1975; December 10th, 2011 at 03:47.
    Current Rotation: || Tag Aquaracer Polar Caliber 5, Suunto Ambit 3, Casio Gulfman/GW2310, Apple iWatch 3 ||

Re: A series of misfortune event (s) :-(.

Quote Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post
    Hey Guys

Kinda a depressing thread but it is what it is.

Recently, after selling most of my small collection (both Citizen's in my sig and another Frogman), I saved enough to buy a watch that I wanted from a year ago.....Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro.

I picked it up from a fellow WuS'er right here and it came with all intact papers/box, etc. I was more than thrilled when I received the watch. Wore it straight for 2 weeks, even in the weekends.

The Maestro also put a stop to me checking out other watches...that's how much I loved it.

I decided to really turn the watch to my liking and sent it off to Jack (IWW) ...really great great guy to deal with. I was going to have him paint all the hands metallic blue.

The work was simple enough and he had said that I should have the watch back in under 2 weeks. Good enough for me as I don't mind wearing my GShocks to work at all .

I sent off the watch via USPS Priority Mail with delivery confirmation. And I was STUPID ENOUGH NOT TO INSURE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I've flipped a lot of watches in the past (last 2 years) and had NEVER had any issues with USPS deliveries.

When I checked the tracking on Wed (expected day of delivery), it still stated the package being dropped off at my local Post Office.
    I immediately called USPS and was told to wait till yesterday. No luck with tracking updates. I called back again today and they filed a "lost item" case.

Got a call from my local Post Master this evening and the dreaded bad news . He said there's no scan out of the 4 sites in between the route from CA to PA which basically means the package got damaged during transit (no label) or simply lost. He had already checked with the Sacramento/LA drop off points and they couldn't find the package anywhere.

As the package wasn't insured either, all he can do now is to issue an apology letter and a check of $6.75 to cover postage. I'm basically out by $793.25 .

Though he did say in case of pure luck, the package may show up in couple of weeks (provided the shipping label wasn't torn, etc) but that again, is a stretch.

I'm totally saddened by this incident. It's like getting the funds ready for almost 6 months, drooling over the pics and then finally having it in hand for 2 weeks and then the watch goes RIP.
    Even if I had dropped or broken the watch myself, I wouldn't feel that bad VS losing it in transit with the postal service.

With X-mas around the corner, my budget is already tied with gifts for my wife/toddlers and to be honest, I don't see myself getting another Hamilton at least for the next 6-8 months .

Funny that prior to me sending off the watch, my wife was already complaining to me that there was "nothing wrong with the watch as it is" but the WuS factor inside of me created the image of my perfect Hamilton with blue hands and alas, I paid a heavy price for it.

For now, I might get a white dial Orient or something (might sell my G9300 Mudman for it). I still cannot believe this. Took me almost 6 months to save up for a Hamilton and in just a short time, I'm back to where I started my hobby from (with GShocks).

The point of this thread (and I'm probably preaching to the choir)......INSURE YOUR WATCHES during shipments (if they are worth $200+). It's like one of those bad habits that we have but we never think about it till something bad happens and then we 'wake up'. I also can't talk about this to my wife yet (she'll kill me first and then ask questions over my dead body) so trying to let some of my frustration out here.

My beloved Maestro....you'll be sadly missed ....A LOT:

(my own pic..on a 24mm Di Model Pilot strap):

Sorry for the long read, guys.
    -Sandeep

PS: For the curious minds, here's the tracking # 0311 1660 0002 0817 0457 (usps.com)
    SOOO sorry for your loss :( Hopefully it will turn up!

Never use the government (USPS) for anything that matters. They'll screw it up almost everytime. I use FedEx and have never had an issue with watches, gifts and NUMEROUS high value stuff for work. I buy insurance on anything I don't want to replace, its cheap. I paid a total of 20 dollars to two day ship my Hamilton with 1,400 in insurance on it.
    Pubcrawler likes this.
    Omega Planet Ocean (2500D)
    Hamilton Khaki Auto Chrono
    Tissot LeLocle Chrono
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic
    Seiko

I feel for u,man. Losing a watch is already a sad thing..losing your favourite watch that u worked hard to get is just horrible. Hope good things will come your way in the coming months to take your mind off this dreaded incident.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wonder if homeowners or jewelery insurance covers the loss.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

You're right, would have looked stunning with blue hands.

Orient has a model called blue sky or something similar. Blue hands and it's pretty sharp for an Orient. Good luck.

That really does suck, big time. Although, there is still the faint glimmer of hope, it might just miraculously show up. A few years ago, USPS delivered a box of my mother's homemade Christmas cookies to my doorstep... in April. It's not much, but it could happen, and I'm really hoping that it does happen for you.

Aww man! That totally blows! Im sorry. Hope it turns up.

PS. No wonder the USPS is going out of business.
    Last edited by Adam S; December 7th, 2011 at 05:38.

Hope it shows up for you.

I had a first class registered package with a watch in it take 14 calendar days to make it from Chicago to Minneapolis last month.

Banned

I don't know what to say. Why on eath didn't you insure it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    I don't know what to say. Why on eath didn't you insure it?
    Try for a little less touchy-feely Dave
    CitizenM likes this.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information