‘Shark skin’ strap - wearing in ??
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ‘Shark skin’ strap - wearing in ??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

‘Shark skin’ strap - wearing in ??

Has anyone had any experience in regards to ‘wearing in’ a ‘shark leather’ band, do I just persist with a little discomfort until it moulds and softens?

Is it a bad idea to get this wet? (kind of ironic since it started its life underwater, obviously it’s been treated etc but not sure if fresh or salt water will bugger it)

Cheers in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: ‘Shark skin’ strap - wearing in ??

I'm a leather crafter and I have worked with shark skin before (I have made a knife sheath out of shark skin in the past). It depends on the tanning process, thickness, which part of the shark it was taken from (being a material made from living creature it is not uniform) etc... but the shark skin I have worked with (and from experience of working with similar leathers) is a very soft and pliable leather with little resistance. So it shouldn't present too much of an issue. If you are experiencing any discomfort that is more from the tension bought about by the stitching and the fact that the leather is laminated onto what looks like a calf leather (probably kipside). Layered construction almost always is stiffer than each layer individually, not to mention the role that the glue (likely leather contact cement) will play. Almost all leather does relax with use however so you should be ok in a while.

As for water, my advice is to avoid it all together. Some leather treatments will make leather waterproof (sometime very waterproof like Doctor Martens boots) but in general water tends to cause undesirable damages. Leather straps are normally easy to change so if it was my watch I would buy a rubber strap like isofrane and change it according to your need.

I hope this helps.
    Woody36327 likes this.

dammit, now i want shoes made from shark skin any idea?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kaizo2560 View Post
    I'm a leather crafter and I have worked with shark skin before (I have made a knife sheath out of shark skin in the past). It depends on the tanning process, thickness, which part of the shark it was taken from (being a material made from living creature it is not uniform) etc... but the shark skin I have worked with (and from experience of working with similar leathers) is a very soft and pliable leather with little resistance. So it shouldn't present too much of an issue. If you are experiencing any discomfort that is more from the tension bought about by the stitching and the fact that the leather is laminated onto what looks like a calf leather (probably kipside). Layered construction almost always is stiffer than each layer individually, not to mention the role that the glue (likely leather contact cement) will play. Almost all leather does relax with use however so you should be ok in a while.

As for water, my advice is to avoid it all together. Some leather treatments will make leather waterproof (sometime very waterproof like Doctor Martens boots) but in general water tends to cause undesirable damages. Leather straps are normally easy to change so if it was my watch I would buy a rubber strap like isofrane and change it according to your need.

I hope this helps.
    That is a huge help, thanks for taking time out to answer my query, I appreciate it!

I’ll continue to wear it on land, I’m sure as you said after time it will soften and become like a comfortable pair of old boots! - I’ll leave my F1 & AR for the water.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by trekbonita View Post
    Ha, flash!

Quote Originally Posted by trekbonita View Post
    Hmm, a lot of people avoid lesser known exotics like shark because it could be a pain to work with, with a potential loss of material if the leather didn't react well to the design (and thus a high risk of making a loss). I think shark will look nice on a wholecut or chukka boot so it could showcase its beautiful pattern. If it's ray skin (which is also beautiful but very cantankerous, I've made a knife sheath out of it too but i needed to inlay it because the edge was hard to finish well) then a company called the left shoe company makes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bada Bing View Post
    That is a huge help, thanks for taking time out to answer my query, I appreciate it!

I’ll continue to wear it on land, I’m sure as you said after time it will soften and become like a comfortable pair of old boots! - I’ll leave my F1 & AR for the water.

Cheers

No worries 🙂
    Last edited by kaizo2560; August 23rd, 2018 at 14:19.

That looks a lot like a BOB shark skin strap from watchbandcenter.

If so, it's gonna be a long time until it flexes in; for some reason the base leather (and padding?) is insanely stiff.
    San Martin Damascus Radiomir
    Aevig Huldra 2
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

I purchased it from the UK so not sure....it definitely isn’t insanely stiff but I would like it a tad softer - it’s only been on my wrist for an hour or so so I’m hoping after a few weeks it will be sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    That looks a lot like a BOB shark skin strap from watchbandcenter.

If so, it's gonna be a long time until it flexes in; for some reason the base leather (and padding?) is insanely stiff.
    It's hard to tell without seeing it in person but the leather is probably veg tanned calf which tends to be tougher and I'm guessing it's relatively thick too to give it structure. It's a good thing because veg tan tends to be a better tanning process. It's basically higher quality leather than chrome tan (which is a cheaper process) so the person who designed it used the good stuff for you. If I was making it, it would have been my choice of leather too. It should break in fully by the end of the week with most of the breaking in happening on day one.
    Last edited by kaizo2560; August 23rd, 2018 at 14:24.
    Woody36327 likes this.

I’m currently wearing a sharkskin strap that came with a Tudor Tiger Chrono which I sold some years ago. I bought it with bracelet and strap. For the small amount I’d get for it in sale, I hung onto it and wear it with a Daytona occasionally.

It’s comfortable and has molded to my wrist but has not broken in to a level of softness that calf leather softens. Don’t know if this is a characteristic of sharkskin or just not wearing enough. The thicker part of the strap is still pretty rigid...

I’ve heard conflicting reports on how waterproof the strap is but I lean to the opinion that it’s not waterproof. I don’t mind rain but I’d wear other straps if I were to go swimming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information