1 Dress and 1 Diver or 1 All-Purpose watch? Which would you choose?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1 Dress and 1 Diver or 1 All-Purpose watch? Which would you choose?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1 Dress and 1 Diver or 1 All-Purpose watch? Which would you choose?

I recently obtained my beautiful Omega Speedmaster Day/Date Chronometer and I am still in love with it (longer than any of my other previous 33 watches ). However, I had to sell off my divers to help fund it and to justify it to the better half. I love everything about the watch BUT I do miss having a nice luxury dive watch in the collection. Note that I don't come into contact with water very often (desk diver guilty as charged) and I also don't wear a suit very often (maybe a few times a year if that). So I have been going back and forth between these two choices:

1. Speedmaster only

-I can wear it to work, to play, and everywhere in between and the watch fits right in. I rarely see water but if I do, I need to be careful and probably can't wear it. The watch wears super comfortably due to its smaller size and is classy and understated.

Name:  IMAG0186.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  1.13 MB

2. Omega Bond 2531.80 or Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500M or Oris Pro Diver Date & Seiko SARB072

-A nice casual luxury/tool diver to wear around and not be afraid to take on adventures and to use them as they were meant to be used. A fun watch to wear on the weekend and gives that nice hefty, robust, and tool feeling. Coupled with a more traditional dress watch, the Seiko, to wear to more formal occassions, to work, and to black tie affairs.

Name:  Tag 500M.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  30.0 KBName:  733.7646.7154.MB.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  50.1 KBName:  SARB072_MED.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  29.4 KB

(Pictures borrowed from Amazon, Creation Watches, and Gemnation)

I was just curious what the community here would choose if you didn't have any watches to start. Would you choose option 1 and pickup a luxury all-purpose watch or would you go with option 2 and pick up a luxury/tool diver and a nice dress watch to cover both ends of the watch collection spectrum? Note that in this case, option 1 and option 2 would cost roughly the same. I've been going back and forth and it seems that whichever option I choose, I'd be missing something. I love the Speedmaster but I also want to start building a well-rounded collection. If only I had the funds for both!
    Last edited by RTea; August 26th, 2011 at 08:44.
    Current Arsenal:
    HMT Pilot | Casio G-Shock Riseman | Seiko SNZH57 | Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph | Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
    Purchase free since: 4/1/15 (subject to change)

Re: 1 Dress and 1 Diver or 1 All-Purpose watch? Which would you choose?

Change your Speedmaster with a model that is proofed to 100 meters, case closed!

Or is it? To me, the Speedy is not rough enought for being the beater, nor dressy enough to wear to a black(or white!) tie.
    But to cover it all, darned near perfect.

But I would buy 3 different watches, by a lower brand, yet respectable and of good quality, at a total of about 2000 $, theese:
    (The two upper borrowed from the Hamilton forum by members, the last from Jomashop)
    Name:  Hamilton Mesh.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  56.2 KB
    Name:  Hamilton Jazz Chrono.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  178.5 KB
    Name:  Hamilton Frogman.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  99.5 KB
    Last edited by Fossdal; August 26th, 2011 at 10:31.
    krayziehustler likes this.

option 2 for me. the Aquaracer and the Seiko.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WnS

I'd go with 1 dressy diver - good for all occasions.

I'm content with my watch collection

Option one for me. Even though thats not what ive done myself...but if i had my time over again...i think its always best to buy the best you can afford!

Diver and dress watch separately. However...you do mention that you don't wear a suit often...so a "dressy" diver should be enough.

Haf

There is no such thing as a 'dressy diver', so I would always go with 2 distinct watches, it's a lot easier to dress down than to dress up
    drewmcd24 likes this.

I'd get the Oris (AWESOME watch) and the Seiko, but a steel version since I'm not a gold guy.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Could you not keep the Speedy and save for another diver?
    If not I'd go for the 2531.80 and the Seiko but in SS.

Awesome replies and to be honest, not exactly what I was expecting, hence why I love this forum.

I really dig the Oris Pro Diver and have always liked your taste in watches Raza so I believe it when you say it's awesome. But I keep trying to convince myself that I can pull of its 49mm size when I probably can't or am very borderline. I have 6.75'' wrists but they're flat and I have a pretty athletic overall build. I also had a 44mm Diver Date which I flipped because it wore a lot smaller than I thought. The Tag seems to be the ideal size but the crown issues have me worried...

I also would prefer the Seiko in stainless steel vs gold but I really wanted a white dial dress watch and that model only comes in gold/white face and ss/black face. Are there any nice Seiko dress watches with the 6r15 movement with ss/white dial combination?
    Current Arsenal:
    HMT Pilot | Casio G-Shock Riseman | Seiko SNZH57 | Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph | Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
    Purchase free since: 4/1/15 (subject to change)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information