1 Jan 2016 is looming large: Swatch Group is going to turn off the ETA lights.
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: 1 Jan 2016 is looming large: Swatch Group is going to turn off the ETA lights.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

1 Jan 2016 is looming large: Swatch Group is going to turn off the ETA lights.

Hi all

Saw this posted over on tz-uk (http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...irers-and-us):

WatchGuy Survey – Swiss Watch Industry | Watch Guy

Discussions about ETA parts supply and the impact on independet watchmakers and subsequently the consumer has been going on for a while.

But what should we make of the deadline 1/1/2016?

The Engish would say: let's wait and drink tea. But what does the rest think?
    Last edited by Uhrentraeger; October 19th, 2015 at 23:29.

Re: 1 Jan 2016 is looming large: Swatch Group is going to turn off the ETA lights.

my 3 favourite brands aren't affected so I ain't bovvered.
    Name:  tumblr_ljac8v0jzp1qdmgu3o1_500.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  170.9 KB

Rolex, Seiko and Nomos make their own movements.
    obomomomo, Athram and bbuckbbuck like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: 1 Jan 2016 is looming large: Swatch Group is going to turn off the ETA lights.

Quote Originally Posted by chuasam View Post
    my 3 favourite brands aren't affected so I ain't bovvered.
    Name:  tumblr_ljac8v0jzp1qdmgu3o1_500.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  170.9 KB

Rolex, Seiko and Nomos make their own movements.

Actually funny post yours.

And not to forget: all the Swatch Group owned brands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Uhrentraeger View Post
    Actually funny post yours.

And not to forget: all the Swatch Group owned brands.
    I would expect this to affect the price of Swatch Group brands with their "in-house" movements. I still can't believe they weren't broken up.
    wearing some dumbwatch that goes tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

I'm not crazy about independents being excluded from parts supply. Kind of puts the standard serviceability advice seen here to doubt (everyone says get ETA if want easy service down the line). Yet, I strongly suspect that this will have no real effect on consumers.
    - Most independents are very familiar w ETA movements and can do basic service regardless
    - If replacement parts are needed - many ETA movements have clones (it does raise a concern about not OEM parts being used) that are virtually interchangeable
    - Many top brands are already doing this. Richemont Group has cut off parts supply to independents a while back and while few people complained, most took it in stride

I'm not a fan of monopolistic practices and don't like that they won't supply parts, but at the same time I never understood why Swatch would provide movements to all of their competitors. Hopefully this will force others to innovate and manufacture (although i expect Sellita, Miyota and others will happily fill the gap for casers).

The biggest risk I see with these moves is: if the big brands exclude independent watchmakers from part supply distribution, it may be harder for watchmakers to make money (due to giant share that Swatch and Richemont have), which in turn may push some of them to exit the industry. And that could be catastrophic - lack of independent watchmakers can lead to overall industry decline. Manufacturers are already struggling w service turnaround times. If every Swatch has to be serviced through their repair centers - are we going to see 12-24 mos turnarounds for simple repairs? Will they even be able to hire enough competent people to service their watches?
    logan2z likes this.

I'll believe it when we see it, not buying this line of silliness by Swatch. Don't think they will actually pull the plug.
    CharliXCX likes this.

This could lead to a whole host of movements being developed or old movements being cloned like China has done. There are ways around it, and plenty of time was given to adjust to the new "normal". Prices will increase for those who have to invest in new movements. Or Seiko and Citizen could build movements in Switzerland and make a killing selling to the disenfranchised.

I could list my watches here, but I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    This could lead to a whole host of movements being developed or old movements being cloned like China has done. There are ways around it, and plenty of time was given to adjust to the new "normal". Prices will increase for those who have to invest in new movements. Or Seiko and Citizen could build movements in Switzerland and make a killing selling to the disenfranchised.
    Soprod, Sellita, Miyota will take up the slack if swatch pulls the plug.

Seiko needs to get with the program and introduce an affordable hi-beat movement to compete with the A-10, SW200 and 9015.
    Mil6161 and ffritz like this.

"I'm not crazy about independents being excluded from parts supply."

That's what did it for me. I've schooled myself on this issue since learning about it here. Appalling. You can tell from the reactions by the independent repair shops in the UK and US that this is no small thing. My reaction is, I'm done buying Swatch products (and I have three). I'm a small business owner and work for my money, and when companies behave in such a disgraceful fashion toward "the little guy," I relate to the little guy. F Swatch.

But, yes, hopefully this will prompt other companies (not just the Swiss; sea gull, perhaps?) to up their game in quality, and provide good movements (and parts) at decent prices so creative entrepreneurs can flourish. We can see some of that happening here now in North America.

meh, makes no difference AFAIK, most of them seem to have switched to sellita already anyway
    bullshark likes this.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information