17 year old ETA 2824-2. Never been serviced, runs like new...should I service it?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 17 year old ETA 2824-2. Never been serviced, runs like new...should I service it?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

17 year old ETA 2824-2. Never been serviced, runs like new...should I service it?

It is the Archimede in my sig. My first watch and I plan to keep it forever. Should I proactively service it, even if nothing is outwardly wrong, or just keep going? The financial outlay is not a concern, it is just about 'should I'?

If yes, suggestions on the best way to find someone to service? Happy to mail it, would be happy to find a good local place. OK to spend extra to make sure whoever does it does a great job (taking the extra time and care to do it right).

Thanks!
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Re: 17 year old ETA 2824-2. Never been serviced, runs like new...should I service it?

Yes, any good watchmaker.

Re: 17 year old ETA 2824-2. Never been serviced, runs like new...should I service it?

How do you know if "runs like new"? Have you put it on a timegrapher to check the amplitude and beat error?

I'd expect the lubricants are probably due for a refresh on a watch that old. I don't believe they were using the newer, longer-lasting synthetic oils that are commonplace today back 17 years ago.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

After 17 years DEFINITELY.

Without service at this age, it may incur a great deal of expensive wear with continued use.
    Kaishakunin and mleok like this.
    Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 16613 Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Rolex 326933 Sky-Dweller TT white dial
    Rolex 116400GV Milgauss black dial
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special Lever-set ca 1944
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post
    How do you know if "runs like new"? Have you put it on a timegrapher to check the amplitude and beat error?

I'd expect the lubricants are probably due for a refresh on a watch that old. I don't believe they were using the newer, longer-lasting synthetic oils that are commonplace today back 17 years ago.
    Was more talking about the end result, which is it runs within 5 seconds/day, winds smoothly (crown and rotor), date change works well, etc. Yes, does not mean oils are not compromised.
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

After 17 years DEFINITELY.

Without service at this age, it may incur a great deal of expensive wear with continued use.

The 2824-2 is a real workhorse movement and is fairly easy to service.
    Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 16613 Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Rolex 326933 Sky-Dweller TT white dial
    Rolex 116400GV Milgauss black dial
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special Lever-set ca 1944
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

Alas, yes. It would be a wise idea to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    Was more talking about the end result, which is it runs within 5 seconds/day, winds smoothly (crown and rotor), date change works well, etc. Yes, does not mean oils are not compromised.
    Compromised oils result in the bearing surfaces running dry. Yes the movement could keep decent time while silently accelerating wear. If you intend to use the watch then a service is overdue.

Yes, but a decent watch guy-- not just any hack. A crumby service can make you wish that you'd done nothing.

No--going against the grain on this one--modern lubricants are silicon/silicate based, and specifically do not get "compromised", break down, deteriorate, muddled. thickened or dry out as did older lubricants. If the watch is running fine, great--opening up a perfectly running watch is simply opening up chances for things to go wrong despite the best of intentions--don't fix what isn't broken. This is not a super sophisticated movement, and can be easily and inexpensively serviced when and if the need arises.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information