1800's Lawrence and Sons- London pocket watch

Thread: 1800's Lawrence and Sons- London pocket watch

1800's Lawrence and Sons- London pocket watch

Hello! I was given a family heirloom yesterday that I did not even know existed. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of information to go with the watch. We know that it was my great great grandfather's (who lived in Scotland) and that it is 18k gold. It is not running. I have scoured the internet but I have not even been able to find the brand of Lawrence and Sons or other pocket watches by them. I am not qualified to open the case and take a picture of the movement, so apologies for not posting a picture of that. I took as many descriptive pictures as possible. I'd love to get it fixed/restored and keep it in the family. Any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated! Thanks and happy boxing day!
    Mike

Pictures (file size was too large to post here)
    Untitled

Re: 1800's Lawrence and Sons- London pocket watch

Without a picture of the movement it's impossible to identify and recommend what might need to be done. You need to find a watchmaker in your area who specializes in antique restoration.
    The case markings I believe date to 1837 and if the same watch movement is in the case it'll likely be a very late verge or early English lever of some type.
    A couple of London Lawrences are listed here:

Clock and Watch Research - Online Library - Index of clock and watch makers listed on the website
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; December 27th, 2012 at 02:12.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

There is now a new picture of part of the motion (i think) at Untitled

Any help is greatly appreciated! I'd love to be able to identify this thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The hallmarks are incomprehensible to me. I don't recognize the crown. But the layout of watch shows it to be a fusee. The dust cover needs to be removed to see the actual movement itself. It might be marked.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information