1912 Illinois Pocket Watch - Very unique. Trying to get more info.

Thread: 1912 Illinois Pocket Watch - Very unique. Trying to get more info.

1912 Illinois Pocket Watch - Very unique. Trying to get more info.

I received this watch as a gift from a family member. He told me that it is one of very few examples that were built at the request of Henry Flagler as gifts to executives in his company upon the completion of his Florida Overseas Railroad to Key West. The scene and Illinois logo are hand painted and I believe it is 14k gold. The mark in the middle of the hour hand is a scuff in the cristal and isn't on the hand itself. It keeps great time, but I'm going to have my watchmaker look it over. Any idea of what it might be worth, or more of the history behind it? Thanks

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: 1912 Illinois Pocket Watch - Very unique. Trying to get more info.

The dial scene is attractive but was most certainly done outside the Illinois factory. At one time, there was no shortage of jewelers who could and would do this sort of work. The quality of this one is much better than any I've seen, but even so this sort of work has generated no collector interest to my knowledge.

From the look and style of the case, I would doubt it is 14K gold-it is most likely gold filled. I suspect that you will find a 17 or 19 jewel "bridge model" movement behind the dial.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Re: 1912 Illinois Pocket Watch - Very unique. Trying to get more info.

Thanks for the help. I'll have it opened up to verify the movement.

Thread Information