1999 Rotary “Lexington”
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By RaybanRJ
  • 1 Post By Texas Don

Thread: 1999 Rotary “Lexington”

1999 Rotary “Lexington”

I bought this watch in 1999 for $300 Canadian, it was a great watch And I wore it for four years but broke the Crystal on it when I was trying to change a battery myself, I probably won’t ever do that again unless I invest in one of these (pic to follow). Gave it to dad in 2003 and he had a new crystal installed and I got it back today after 16 years as he gave me a giant bag of watches he did not want anymore.

I said to myself this one is worth fixing/saving and I have a history with it. So a new 371 battery for $15 and a new Hirsch 18mm leather strap for $20 and it feels like a brand new watch to me all over again. It’s amazing what a new leather strap will do to make a watch feel brand new again. I can’t remember how long the 371 battery lasted but it’s one of the smaller ones. If I recall I think I at least got two years out of it but I’m not sure. There is no second hand on this watch to drain it further.

I believe it was 3 µm coats of 18 karat gold and it’s unfortunate that over the years from battery changes it has chipped and got a little worse on the back of the watch (and just wear and tear) but hey I think it gives it some character and I’m going to keep it running as long as I can. If I recall it is a 7 jewelled movement.

Was never a huge fan of leather straps in the past because in the summer they just soak up the sweat like a sponge but this strap is supposed to be a water resistant strap so I wonder how far that will go, I guess we will see as Canada is heating up for summer.

I had the strap and battery installed at the exact same place I bought it 20 years ago but there was another place I went to and they wanted $50 for any leather strap and $18 for a battery change I think that’s pretty insane. So I’m glad I checked back at my original jewellery store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; April 28th, 2019 at 09:47.
    brandon\, Texas Don and Camguy like this.

Re: 1999 Rotary “Lexington”

Good for you. Another almost victim escaped the landfill. Watches are meant to be worn. Those marks on the back of the case are nothing to be concerned about. Kudos to you for giving it a new life and wearing it again. I agree that $18 is steep for a battery that costs less than .50 cents in bulk. Changing a battery isn't rocket science so you're on the right track to learn how do do your own. Bravo!
    RaybanRJ likes this.

Re: 1999 Rotary “Lexington”

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Don View Post
    Good for you. Another almost victim escaped the landfill. Watches are meant to be worn. Those marks on the back of the case are nothing to be concerned about. Kudos to you for giving it a new life and wearing it again. I agree that $18 is steep for a battery that costs less than .50 cents in bulk. Changing a battery isn't rocket science so you're on the right track to learn how do do your own. Bravo!
    Yup thanks. I know that I just could not get the back on it back in 03 and that’s how I broke it originally. But when the jeweller did it today I was right there watching and it sure made a solid pop sound and she said she knew it was seated good because some of them just don’t even make a sound or they don’t snap good.

Might be worth buying one of those machines for 25 bucks since pretty soon that is what it’s going to cost to change a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information