1st main forum post

Thread: 1st main forum post

1st main forum post

Hi all,

I'm a recent watch enthusiast, my older brother has been in the hobby for a few years and finally got me interested in watches.

I've recently done the following:

- Sold all of my "cheap" beater quartz watches.

- Bought a really neat Military Orient automatic.

- Restored my very first mechanical watch, and old 1979 Seiko 6139-6020 that my father found on the beach in the surf back in 1980. He gave it to me back in 1984, where it ran for two years before it stopped keeping time. It then sat needing a repair for 20 years before I had it redone in July. He was amazed by the difference, it has it's battle scars, but it runs like a top!

- Kept two really nice quartz watches, which I enjoy.

- Aspiring to 2 other mechanicals, but taking my time as budget is limited.

I'm loving reading everyone's knowledge, looking at pics, etc. I've lurked here for a while, now it's time to jump into the pool.

Thanks for reading - Craig

Re: 1st main forum post

welcome to WUS.

i've seen your brother Marc post in TZ before about how he got you into this hobby. doesn't matter how big or small your collection is, a watch enthusiast is still a watch enthusiast. so feel feel to post, hang out ,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigBrunen
    Hi all,

I'm a recent watch enthusiast, my older brother has been in the hobby for a few years and finally got me interested in watches.

I've recently done the following:

- Sold all of my "cheap" beater quartz watches.

- Bought a really neat Military Orient automatic.

- Restored my very first mechanical watch, and old 1979 Seiko 6139-6020 that my father found on the beach in the surf back in 1980. He gave it to me back in 1984, where it ran for two years before it stopped keeping time. It then sat needing a repair for 20 years before I had it redone in July. He was amazed by the difference, it has it's battle scars, but it runs like a top!

- Kept two really nice quartz watches, which I enjoy.

- Aspiring to 2 other mechanicals, but taking my time as budget is limited.

I'm loving reading everyone's knowledge, looking at pics, etc. I've lurked here for a while, now it's time to jump into the pool.

Thanks for reading - Craig

Hi Craig,

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your first post and wonder if you can share some pictures with us? Especially your father's watch would be interesting to see.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the welcome!

Denizen - Yes, Marc certainly hooked me on the watch hobby. He is a frequent TZ poster, I am registered there, PMWF, and here.

WUSAdmin - I'd be happy to share some pics. It's funny, I remember as a kid saying to my Dad "I'd love a watch like yours someday." and he took it off his wrist and gave it to me. Recently, he told me - I never really liked the look of that one anyway. He was surprised I still owned it, no less had it restored. We shared a good laugh on that one.

Larry More out in California polished and cleaned the outside as much as possible, new crystal, complete overhaul and movement cleaning/repair, new strap, and POOF, a watch I've already had several folks comment on in the past month or so I've been wearing it again. Keeps great time too. Unfortunately you can't see all the staining on the dial that was removed by the pics, the before shot looks even better than it did in real life.

To all:

First - here is a link to all my watch pics, all hastily done, so excuse the poor quality. Please note, it has watch/knife pics with the military Orient, and hairy wrist shots as well. If either of these things bother you, don't click. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8Cat2zNwyatG4

Now...scroll down

PICS as per request:

Seiko 6139-6020, yes I reversed the shot to after/before due to late night stupidity. :)

Here is the Orient Military automatic, I LOVE this watch, and the quality is astounding considering the cheap price. Keeps excellent time too.

Here is an inexpensive quartz Georgio Milano watch, it was what I was married in, so for sentimental reasons, it stays. It has a really neat looking case too.

Last but not least is my Citizen Noblia moon phase watch, which I really like, but I've recently put on several for sale boards as I need capital to get a mechanical watch I'm looking for. It is gorgeous, so if it doesn't sell, I really won't care in the grand scheme of things.

Well, thanks for viewing the collection!

Welcome to WUS Craig, best watch forums online, bar none!
    Some nice looking watches you have there and I'm sure your time here will help you expand your knowlege and enjoyment of the hobby.
    (Not to mention your collection most likely!)
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Hi -

Welcome here! Hope you enjoy WUS.

What a great restoration job you had done to that nice old Seiko! That was worth the time and effort, to say the least!

And if you're interested in adding to your collection "on the cheap", come on over to the Vintage forum (where I moderate with Ray McDonald) and feel free to ask questions. There are no stupid questions, we all started somewhere...

Best,

John
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

stuffler,mike

I do like the restoration work on the Seiko.

Thread Information