WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1st watch, company gift, what to do

2K views 40 replies 28 participants last post by  WorthTheWrist 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research and reading the forums recently and finally decided to make an account to hopefully get some advice/guidance so please bear with me if some of my questions come off as uninformed.

For some background, I am 25 and just started my first job out of college about a year ago. I just found out that I will be getting a gift from my company for my performance and have decided to go with a nice watch to commemorate the event and also to serve as my first nice watch. I'm hoping to find something I can wear every day while working (in a suit) as well as on the weekends for more casual dinner/date occasions that will cost around $1k.

I know that I want something gold but also something not too flashy. With my limited research I've found a gold plated emporio-armani watch that I really like but I dont like the idea of gold-plated and from what I've read it may not be the best option. I've also been looking at some vintage Omega Seamasters in with Solid gold cases (I like a gold band which these dont have but I figured that was something that could be added).

I'd like to hear opinions from the experts on what direction I should head or where I should look to find something that will work well for my tastes keeping in mind the $1k budget.
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

See less See more
#2 ·
A budget of $1k and the desire for a gold watch really don't match up. I'd avoid gold plating. You should either stick with your plan to buy a vintage solid gold watch (the example you posted is nice) or buy a stainless steel watch.

Also, I'd personally advise against 'designer' watches of any type.

Congrats on your success, and best of luck.

#3 · (Edited)
You have my vote for a vintage watch. The Omega you posted will certainly satisfy all your needs and can probably be had under budget. If you buy a vintage watch however you need to assume that it will most definitely need serviced. This can cost a pretty penny on a vintage watch, my Ball was just $200 last week for a service. Gold plated is OK but it isn't great. I certainly won't recommend the Armani. The main problem with gold plating is that if not cared for properly it will wear out over time. I've seen gold plating from the 60's that still looks great but it was taken care of.

I recently just bought my first gold plated watch and it looks good only time will tell how long it will really last thought. My advice is to just buy what you like your the one who is gonna look at it everyday. with a $1000 dollar budget you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something to satisfy your needs.

#4 ·
Longines....No cheap a$$ Armani! You are a man now.....Time for a real watch.
No gold bracelet, unless it's real gold, that's the first place the plating will rub off.
You would be better to go steel, more bang for your 1K.

#10 ·
I'll echo others before me.. Go for the vintage definitely stay off a designer brand...also gold plating has a tendency to wear off unevenly and looks tacky.

Seiko Black Orange Monster Gen 2
Tissot PRS2000
Tissot Couturier
Swatch Scuba camo

#11 ·
if you really want something 'gold',

hard to find solid gold for around 1K, but a gold-filled (not plated) vintage Omega can be had for around that price

Armani does make 'nice' looking watches - and they do cater to the trendy, younger generation ... but depending on the type of work that you do, I would stay away from them as others suggested,
I'm not trying to dismiss Armani, but when I see fashion brand watches like Armani, I see flash without much substance - and that perception could be reflected on the person wearing it as well,

#19 ·
I hear you about the armani, after more research I'm seeing exactly what you're saying|>

I'm still stuck on a gold case watch... the SS watches just don't do anything for me and I know I wouldn't wear one it if I owned one.
I should clarify when I say I don't want anything flashy, I work in the financial services industry and gold is the norm around our offices and wouldn't be looked at as flashy at all (we're all in a suit, tie, and cuff-links already). I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a vintage Omega Seamaster or a Longines at this point as they seem like the best bet for something gold, in my budget, and relatively subtle.

In terms of vintage watches though, I'm finding some Omega and Longines watches that don't seem to have a model name (Seamaster, admiral, etc) and almost seem like one-offs as there's no two that I can find that are the same. Any ideas on how to value these or what to be aware of when buying?

Some examples I'm considering that don't have a model name
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#12 · (Edited)
Orient Sun and Moon Rose gold (FETOT001W0). Go to the Orient Watch USA site, under executive collection, then sun and moon. Google for a current coupon as you will be able to get at least 30% off, which will get the price of the watch down to just north of $300. It does have a leather band, don't know if that is a show stopper ... but this is a very classy, versatile piece. I just picked up the white-dial model with roman numerals and it is beautiful.

You might also want to try searching on the site of an on-line seller like Long Island Watch, where you can look at lots of watches across many brands to get more of an idea what moves you.

Congrats and good luck with your search ...

#13 ·
Tissot le locle
Oris Classic date

Are some great options at that price point and have some similar color options in SS and the ever so avoided gold plated versions.

Both are reputable Swiss watch brands and would make a great first "real"watch!
Congrats on the job and welcome to the forums my friend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Hahahaha.

You want a gold watch, but not flashy?

a gold watch is the tackiest thing you can buy. Buy that when you retire dude.

Also you do realize that gold is a soft metal? Not really for daily wear.

Also solid gold watches are expensive as hell.

Keep it Stainless Steel, keep it simple and on a leather strap. That's a nice dress watch.

Go with a Frederique constant classic and that's it

Frederique Constant Classic Index Automatik NEU LP 850€ VHB for $736 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

Or buy my LeLocle and wear it until the hands fall off. You can save $600

#16 · (Edited)
buddy, gold AND non- flashy? thats an oxymoron.

with your budget look at Longiness Heritage line, or Better yet, get Hamilton Intra-matic 38mm dress watch (comes in gold plating, bracelet/leather). On chrono 24 from Germani theyr are 800 eur bnib, so in your budget. Also, it is a timeles design (you want that in a dress watch) no far off de ville, and more siilar to Zenit Elite ultra thin. It is a watch worn in Mad Men and is very cool imho. just dont get the 42mm which wears big and looks a bit ott. Cool domed sapphire, good brand, reliable ETA inside (seamaster omega had em i believe), sunburst silver or black dial, etc.

that Armani looks like a horrible Chinese made junk - which it is.

#20 ·
I think all the guys here have given you good suggestions and input.
if I was 25 again I wouldn't be looking at a gold watch. If you are in a the professional world you want something that's simple, but says a lot about you, let the watch you buy stand out and also be settle. Giving the $1000 budget I'm sure you find what you really want, my advice don't rush, think it out do some research If you want automatic or quartz and go from there. All the best with the hunt and please we want pictures of the end result.

#24 ·
Thanks to everyone here for the input, I've made a decision between two watches which will be decided by, at the moment, by other ebay bidders but I'm happy with either option at this point...

I have the high bid on an Omega Seamaster at the moment and as long as no one out bids me that will be the watch I end up with. If I'm outbid at all, I will be adding some of my own $$ to the watch purchase and going with a brand new Longines Heritage Flagship in SS (you all talked me into it).
So here they are:

View attachment 3552218 View attachment 3552258

#21 ·
I realize you have already backed-off of the Armani, but I just wanted to add that the look of that watch screams to me "mall special". Different folks like different things and when I was in my mid-20s I did not have the same style that I do today, but I simply do not see the positive potential in that Armani.

#22 · (Edited)
Good suggestions from others here.

You ahould realize that many vintage watches will be of the "smaller" size. They'll be in the 36mm case size range +/- 2mm. So bought unseen you might be in for a surprise expecting the 40mm+ sizes.

I love gold watches. Yes, even bracelted ones and one with tge horrible plate rubbed off.But at this price point i suggest SS as well. Unless you plan to add to your collection. The gold will just see too much wrist time.

If this is going to be your only watch and you want to maximize the $1000 i would put up sone of my own money and go straight for the jugular and get a used auto omega seamaster a newish one. If you're up for the service it could need later i'd go with an older speedmaster. These would fit right in in finacial services.

#31 ·
I do like that Certina.

The Omega Im bidding on is Solid 14k gold but I'm taking a bit of a gamble as there's no band/strap and no pictures of the insides but the seller has a good rating. The new longines looks really nice, which is why im willing to spend a little more on it.

I'll try those pics again
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Clock Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

#34 ·
FWIW I also work in finance and can't recall ever seeing a gold watch on anyone under 50, not that this should influence your decision. Buy only what you like.

Another thing to consider is: how is this watch being purchased? From reading your first post I got the impression the employer is making the purchase. If someone else is buying on your behalf, directing them to dig through listings to find a nice condition appropriately priced vintage piece might be inappropriate. If you're simply receiving a bonus and your heart is set on gold, I'll echo the other recommendations and advise on going vintage even though I personally would never choose yellow gold.

Good luck on your search, brother.

#35 ·
Have you considered two tone cases / bracelets or PVD? I'd look at Oris, I think they make some two tone watches. If you go vintage, be sure you have the option to return it if a watchmaker declares it a mess, and as others have said, set aside a portion of your budget to fork over to a watchmaker as soon as you receive it. In fact, if you decide to go vintage I'd find a watchmaker before finding a watch. That way you won't have any nasty surprises. Lastly, when buying vintage it's as important to select a quality seller and watchmaker as it is to select the watch itself.

#36 ·
If you go vintage, be sure you have the option to return it if a watchmaker declares it a mess, and as others have said, set aside a portion of your budget to fork over to a watchmaker as soon as you receive it. In fact, if you decide to go vintage I'd find a watchmaker before finding a watch.
This is good advice, but it might be a bit pessimistic. If you buy from a trusted seller, I believe you should not necessarily require any work at the outset. These are simple 3-handers and most of them are not too complicated. Of course, knowing a watchmaker helps in the long run. I know absolutely nothing about vintage watches, I have never visited a watch repair shop or watchmaker in my life either. I still bought that vintage Omega above on impulse, after asking the seller a lot of questions. It runs 40-60 seconds fast a day, but has been worn everyday for the last two months and has stood up to a lot of knocks. I do not think it needs any work right now.

If you buy the seller and are aware of everything, it is okay and pleasant to buy vintage. Just don't go to ebay and buy any random watch you find for cheap.

#37 ·
I want to thank everyone for their input and advice in this thread. My watch came today and I picked up a nice calf skin band at a local watch shop to go with it this afternoon (Also waiting on a black Croc band to get here in the next few days)... So far I'm extremely happy with it, so much so that I'm now looking for a SS or GF Longines on ebay. The plan is so I have something similar to wear when I'm out on weekends, for more general use and that wont be damaged as easily. So again, thanks for all the help and here she is:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Brown
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.